• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tundra

hwcurtice

So what is the going thought on Toyota's Tundra?

This seems to be the best place to place this, as they advertise it as a tow rig. I don't have a lot to move, but when I do, it is usually too much for my regular ride. Too much being I have to have the tail gate down.

as long as you aren't towing anything real heavy it'd do fine. Throw something heavy behind it and the length of the Tundra and it's own (lack of) weight go against it.

Lucky Jeff said:
as long as you aren't towing anything real heavy it'd do fine. Throw something heavy behind it and the length of the Tundra and it's own (lack of) weight go against it.

The heaviest thing I might tow is the other Yota. Either with a tow bar or on a trailer. I'm not planning on towing a house trailer, although, that might be lighter.

I suppose I could put an Easylift hitch with stabilizers. That should help in the towing dept. Of course, getting the bigger engine helps too.

The current concensus on the Toyota forums I frequent is that, if you can get past the looks, it should be a great truck. Much like the chevy, the stance would bug me, and I'd have to level out the front end right away. There are rumors that it could be getting a Hino diesel at some point in the future, but 2009 is optimistic and it probably won't happen until much later than that.

I haven't driven one, but the people I know that have say it handles exceptionally well. I know - who notices how well a truck handles anyway? But I guess it's noticeably better than other competitive trucks. And the 5.7L 381hp motor supposedly kicks some butt.

If I had the money and needed a 1/2T truck, I'd be all over it. If they ever put a diesel in a 3/4T version, I may sell a kid.

snwbrdpunk16 said:
You thinkin a new tundra?

Yes. Not a 'used' one. Maybe, if needed, one that might be a year old. Just need a regular rig that can haul, and one that I can be concerned about how it looks. Scratches, dents....

I have a story, but I have pictures I need to upload first...

GRNTACO said:
The new 07 is a nice rig and can handle your towing needs. They are a little over priced for a tow rig.

I saw that. For the one I think I want, the base price is like $38K.

Heck, If I wanted to spend that much, I'd go buy Nuzzy's rig from him....

With the Hoes up front my 06 Tundra sits nice, I added some airbags in the back, and I towed my 93 4runner ( 4140#'s )stuffed full of crap on a 16 foot flat bed trailer 3700 miles..and it did not stuggle once. For the nay sayers no the 06 and older tundras are not ment to tow more than 7k, but the 07's are meant to tow 10k. Dont even try to compare apples to oranges, if you want to drag a bulldozer behing your rig then get a dodge, but if all you are going to do is tow a yota or a heep then the tundra is a very comfortable vehicle to sit in for hours and it drives sweet. Going over the big passes towing around 7k the Tundra never struggled once. I love it and it serves my purpose perfectly.

Last edited:
hwcurtice said:
I think for that price I would get a real tow rig. my new Dodge CTD,4x4,quadcab was only 37.5+tax. But thats just me.:; 38 grand for a half ton sounds a little steep to me.

Wait for the Imer or Imex(cant remember the name) diesel to come in em. Then its a real tow rig.

hwcurtice said:

Heck, If I wanted to spend that much, I'd go buy Nuzzy's rig from him....

Picked mine up already built for $20K :D

But yes, I understand what you're saying. I'm sure you'd be just fine with a Tundra based on your towing needs. :cool:

my dads got an '07 on the way, so i might have to go drag something behind it. it's a red TRD limited extra cab. most people would say for the price they would rather have a "real tow rig." but what if you dont need a 3/4 ton truck, do you really want to drive that around everyday when you tow twice a month. and i personally think that a lot of people driving these 3/4 and 1 ton trucks dont need them. the argument is always towing, but how often are you doing it, and is it worth the money to maintain a diesel motor when you aren't even towing that much? but about the '07 tundra, i think it is going to be a bad ass truck. its a 32V dohc 5.7 litre puttin out 381/401. i've heard the people don't like it because of the way they stole dodges front clip, even the grill comes up with the hood. btw, a fully equipped trd limited with the dvd navigation and everything has an MSRP at around $43K

I tow my wheeler with a 03 Tundra. Works good and has just as much power or more that my 1ton chev with a 454 . The chev is for sale. $3500

Nissan has more towing capacity. I think the Nissan is a real full size truck and the 1st. gen. Tundras are about 7/8 scale.

for anybody saying "but maybe you don't want to drive around a big truck all day"... is crap.. Toyota's whole selling point was trying to say how they are "just as big as an F250". And that they used an F250 to check all of their dealerships to make sure they were ready for this new "beast" :rolleyes: