• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tuning propane on Sami

DuctTapeMafia

I am running a stock 1.3 and am geared down with 6.4.1's in the T-case and 4.88's at the axle. It goes killer in low range but it is killing me in high range and on the pavement. I can barely get up to 55 MPH on flat ground and if the wind isn't playing nice, I can't get over 40 MPH. I love the propane mileage and price but I need to get this thing moving. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge that can help me out? My kit is from Got Propane.

Mess with your timing. Base timing is way higher than stock and you should be at max advance by 2000 rpms.

Do you have a mixture gague in your exh to see how rich/lean its running?

With 6.4 and 4.88's your not going to go faster that 55mph with that gearing.
I can't even get into 5th. I also should have stated that it would hit 70 topped out when it was carbed. I am just lacking the power that I had before. I realize that propane costs me a percentage of horsepower but I should be able to shift out of first when pulling hills in town.

Mess with your timing. Base timing is way higher than stock and you should be at max advance by 2000 rpms.

Do you have a mixture gague in your exh to see how rich/lean its running?
Thanks, I'll try the timing and no on the mixture gauge . I have messed with the mixture screw and found that I can make it run awesome for low RPM and it will suck on top end or vise-versa . I have heard tales of a part found on small Cessna and Piper aircraft called a Dial-A-Jet. This is basically a Mixture screw attached to a cable with a adjustment knob located on the control panel (or once I find one, a dashboard. ). Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks, I'll try the timing and no on the mixture gauge . I have messed with the mixture screw and found that I can make it run awesome for low RPM and it will suck on top end or vise-versa . I have heard tales of a part found on small Cessna and Piper aircraft called a Dial-A-Jet. This is basically a Mixture screw attached to a cable with a adjustment knob located on the control panel (or once I find one, a dashboard. ). Has anyone ever heard of this?

Sounds cool, And i dreamed that idea for my rig at one point. I would be way more concerned about knowing that your mixture is good before being able to blindy adjust it. Having a gague will tell you immediately how your mixture is doing. It aint cheap(200 or so) but whats a engine cost?

Like Joe said, get a mixture gauge, and make sure your timing is correct. You don't lose power with propane, people think they do, but in reality it's just not tuned right. If it's a true Got Propane kit, call him and he will help you until it's running perfect.