• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo Shuttering?

TheMasterbater

So ever since i've put my programmer in, if i'm lugging along and accel just a little, the turbo will chatter, i back off, and them put the wood down enough to down shift and run higher RPMs.

Whats this mean, how do i fix it?

Edit: 02 powerstroke me

Last edited:
There are many but the one I went with for variouse reasons is a stock turbo from a van with a ATS housing and compressor wheel from a OBS truck.

You can also put the ATS housing and OBS wheel on your turbo. Many claim it's a cure and many claim it didn't do the trick.

it's called surging.. Usually more common to autos..

That's what i'd say, but i've never seen it in a stock application... Only on experimental hi zup turbos...:eeek:

Check the end play, and if you have oil any where... And if your turbo is gone i would step up to the 38R... Ball bearings:awesomework:

I've heard of it quite a bit.. but then again I don't know what you call experimental :eeek: .. The old 64 that was on my truck before used to surge real bad on my buddies auto truck.. Put it on mine, never surged.. both had plenty of fuel..

Step up Cody! I just got my 6th turbo in the mail today :mad:

I've heard of it quite a bit.. but then again I don't know what you call experimental :eeek: .. The old 64 that was on my truck before used to surge real bad on my buddies auto truck.. Put it on mine, never surged.. both had plenty of fuel..

Step up Cody! I just got my 6th turbo in the mail today :mad:

The turbo's i was talking about were "test" units before production runs were made... got to see all the cool shizznit before it hit the streets:fawkdancesmiley:

get an ats housing...dont bother with the wicked wheel,...i replaced the housing on mine and it workeed great....

the garret ball bearing will surge as well,...some say it dosent for them,..but most end up with surge,...

by the way,...there is a used ats ported housing for sale at the dieselstop.com for around $200

i payed a bit over $400 for mine

get an ats housing...dont bother with the wicked wheel,...i replaced the housing on mine and it workeed great....

the garret ball bearing will surge as well,...some say it dosent for them,..but most end up with surge,...

by the way,...there is a used ats ported housing for sale at the dieselstop.com for around $200

i payed a bit over $400 for mine

What's the AR?

I've got a 99 powerstroke 7.3 6speed and after I did the edge and exhaust and intake I noticed the surge when pulling hills in the higher rpms I did the garret aftermarket turbo because it was a good deal and it took care of it and damn its fun to drive... and some nice turbo whine......

All turbos surge. Just depends on if you can create the right situation to make it surge.

If this is all your going to do with the truck, the ATS houseing is a good way to go. The other wheel does it too. if you run in extream a lot and see a lot of the top end of the boost gauge, the turbos going to granade anyway. Eventually.

If you think you want more power out of the truck head for the garett. not really for the surge but the cfm. its a VERY tough turbo.

Oh and yes I've driven all of those turbos. Theres a new one coming to market very soon also. Lil less expensive than the 38r. big cfm and a hard to reach surge line. more to come.

Last edited:
i had the same problem as you and many others, so i tossed a wicked wheel "OBS wheel" in, and it has cured most of my surge problems. the only time it gives me surge is in the 17-19psi sweet spot when i am in it hard towing. i have thought about the ATS housing, but i am going to sink my money into a bigger after market unit instead. the wheel was 70 bucks so it has been a good "get me by" fix until i can figure out what i want to upgrade to.

Can you guys elaborate here? what causes the turbo to surge? you're all talking about fixing this problem with upgrades... yes, i'm a rookie. The only experience i have with diesel is putting it in the tank.

Can you guys elaborate here? what causes the turbo to surge? you're all talking about fixing this problem with upgrades... yes, i'm a rookie. The only experience i have with diesel is putting it in the tank.

The main cause is pressure invariants across the turbo... meaning differences in drive pressures and intake demands... It in a way the same thing as barking a turbo except much less severe.

One of the ways to address this issue are with different impeller designs and exhaust housings...

It's been explained before as the compressor wheel doing a burn out in the air. One of the drop in ford turbos was designed with a surge line so high on the map that its almost impossible to make it surge. But you sacrafice airflow for that.