• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thoughts on a turbo setup on a jeep 4.0

creepycrawly

I am seriously considering a banks sidewinder turbo kit for the TJ. Got a line on a pretty good deal on one. It is considerably cheaper than an LS swap and should net enough of a power gain to be worth it. Plus, who doesn't love that turbo sound? What say you all? Let 'er eat??

If it is a good deal on a proven complete kit, give it a shot.

The issue with most folks that run turbos is they try to piece them together as cheap as possible and never tune them correctly and have nothing but issues.

smbroady82 said:
If it is a good deal on a proven complete kit, give it a shot.

The issue with most folks that run turbos is they try to piece them together as cheap as possible and never tune them correctly and have nothing but issues.

Yeah it's a good deal on a solid kit. No piecemeal for me. The only concern I have is I'll have to change the intake piping up a little to accommodate the highline fenders.

Re:

Most turbos I've been around in offroad/trail riding....they loose the snappines of "the bump".

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

zAcpjU

couldve-had-a-v8.jpg

TBItoy said:

For twice the price! Thats my dilemma. Ive been looking at the 5.3 route for a while, but every way I slice it, that install comes right to the $5000 mark. Between the motor, mounts, trans or t-case adapters depending on which way I go, then radiator, driveshafts, etc. it always comes right back to the $5000 range. I just can't justify it.

Re:

We had a local guy LJ guy do the supercharged route on his 4.0......went LS3 6 months later....jus sayin...

Re:

tonybolton said:
We had a local guy LJ guy do the supercharged route on his 4.0......went LS3 6 months later....jus sayin...

I don't doubt it. I just can't justify another $4-5K into the jeep for a motor swap. I also lose some of the creature comforts like cruise control and AC.

Re:

That's a big investment....id wait and do it once and be done with it.

It sucks having to wait....but it is what is...

Re:

tonybolton said:
That's a big investment....id wait and do it once and be done with it.

It sucks having to wait....but it is what is...

Its not a matter of waiting at all. I have the money. I just can't justify putting that much into the jeep. I think the turbo kit seems like more bank for the buck. It won't yield the hp or tq that the 5.3 does, but it will pep the jeep up a little.

Be interesting to see how much more power it really yields, always wanted to do this to my zj but it runs great so I don't mess with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I'd say go for it, of course since you already bought the turbo I guess youve already gone for it. Youre not rock bouncing hills, and I seem to remember that 4.0 having more than enough power to put the TJ on its roof already. Save that V8 for the full tube buggy youre gonna end up building and dont ruin a good working TJ with a LS swap.

d_daffron said:
Man I'd say go for it, of course since you already bought the turbo I guess youve already gone for it. Youre not rock bouncing hills, and I seem to remember that 4.0 having more than enough power to put the TJ on its roof already. Save that V8 for the full tube buggy youre gonna end up building and dont ruin a good working TJ with a LS swap.

Well, he hasn't gotten back with me yet. We will see what he says but I launched an offer anyways. And yes, it has enough power to wind up on the roof as-is. Maybe I should just invest in some sticky tars so I can go out the top on the first try. That would have saved me a lot of hassle...

Re:

tonybolton said:
If rather have tires over HP anyday...

I drive the jeep on the street a fair amount. Id get to enjoy the turbo all the time vs the stickies less than half the time.