• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Turbo Yota buggy (Finally some up dates)

ETO

:woot:Got the engine just about done for my Yota buggy build and was wondering if I went too big on my exhaust. I have been tossing back and forth between 2.5" and 3" single exhaust and finally said fawk it and bought 3". Engine is a 96 4.3 vortec stock long block for now only mods a full aluminum roller rockers propane and also figured while i was screwing around with propane i would boost performance up a little bit. I been reading way too many hotrod mags lately and with all the articles about running eBay turbos on LS motors i figured why the hell not, I have some spare 4.3 vortecs so no big deal if i scatter one and thought if i really liked how it ran i would take one down to the machine shop and build one with some good rods, pistons, head gaskets and studs. I cant remember the exact specs on the turbo i bought for it buts it a mid sized turbo that is supposed to support 350/450 rwhp. Its not a monster and I'm sure its way small for a v8 but i was only looking to boost up the power in the little V6 for a little more mid to top end power to make it turn the hell on when wanted. You know Tub rock when wet, Cable hill, Los Primos climbs like that. This is far from a Cole worx or Jimmy Smith buggy but I still love to ride the same trails just in something a little smaller and lighter. This is going in a Toyota based buggy the 4.3 with a 700r4 duel Toyota cases with marlin 23 spline inputs Toyota axles bobby long cryo treated 5.29s 30 spline longs and cromo rear shafts and pulling a set of tiny rock bouncer cutt 38/12.5 TSLs. Just a poor redneck scrapping up his pennies and building a little low budget toy to go out and have some fun with. So what ya think complete waste of time and money or maybe a cool little rock buggy?

Re: Another Yota buggy idea

ring and pinion not take it. I had a wore out 22r on 8 inches and blew them regular. A 8.4 rear and v6 front or fj80s if you wanna spend the coin are in you future if you wanna keep yota. One tons if you beat it like you should. :****:

Well the axles came out of my last cab truck and they actually held up to some pretty good beatings ranging from the cable hill comp this last year to a lot of rides on a set of cut 39.5 TSLs. Im sure they will end up meating their maker in this rig but they are what i had at the time and paid for so till then let the beatings continue. :****: One other area i know i still have to up grade is the Toyota output shafts and then i really dont think they will last either but once again i already had the setup sitting paid for and new in the floor with the 700r4 so we will give it a good testing and see what kind of abuse it will take. :eat:

Toyota IFS truck frame is whats being used for the sub frame.

Toyota IFS truck frame is what its being built off of.

[imhttp://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d732b3127ccefe4f9bbd469a00000030O00Fbs27Ru4Yg9vPgY/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/g][/img]

The engine with propane but before the turbo idea
ry%3D400

The turbo plumbed up on the engine.
ry%3D400

Not got the hang of posting pictures on this site yet not sure why some are not showing up. This was the starting point.
ry%3D400

Got the engine and cage work sitting on subframe.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

more of it. wasnt happy with the looks of the front tubes so i'll come up with something.
ry%3D400

I do kinda like the hood/engine cage so probably keep it.

ry%3D400

Where im going to sit my fat ass.
ry%3D400

Re: Another Yota buggy build

Good looking rig. I have a simular set up but with turbo 350 and a 205. I beat hell out of it and it holds up pretty good.

Thanks a lot man. Its been a slow drawn out build but its finally getting somewhere now. Too bad it will be sitting and not get touched for around 2 months before I will be able to do any major work to it, just had surgery Friday and Doc say absolutely no lifting for a while. I should be able to get the exhaust fabbed and tigged up but not much more. Still got to Do the front 4 link finish out the front tube work going to lower the propane tanks in the chassis some then do the sheet metal, pull it apart for powder coating put it back together plumb and wire it. Then let the beatings begin.

i did a yota axled buggy with a supercharged 3800 350 turbo and dana 300 the ring and pinions wouldnt take it even with 410s the 529s broke very easy just my experience will be cool tho

Yeah the Bobby Long treated gears are tough as nails and took some hard ass beatings in my cab truck with various different tire sizes on it. Biggest problem i had was keeping hubs on the truck because it would shear all 6 studs in a heart beat. The buggy will have Bobby's chromoly drive flanges with the extra dowel pins for sure but I'm with you not sure how long the gears will hold up with that much power. I know the 4.10s are stronger gears than the 5.29s but they put too much stress on the Tcase outputs in my opinion. Guess we will find out for sure next riding season about them between my buddies and myself we have plenty of Toyota thirds, already has a V6 third in the rear and when the front breaks I will build a high pinon third with a cryo treated gear. After that breaks I'm not sure I will build a set of 9" axles for it maybe some 60s? I don't want to add any more weight than I have to to it. :dunno:

Itll be a lot of fun for the first 15 min :****: I had a 5.0 powered all toyota truck and i could clean a r&p with one good drop of the go pedal and it only had 33s GOOD LUCK go ahead and find whatever axles you are gonna put in it next !

Well friday was one week since i had my surgery so im not sposed to be doing any lifting at all but i did manage to get out of the house and sneek to the shop today and do some brainstorming and started tinkering with my down pipe so i can think out the rest of my exhaust. buddy of mine says i should leave it just like it is but i think i want it to be just a little bit quieter than that. That 3" down pipe is looking kind of big on the little 4.3 but I like it.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

So what does every body think about my one off tall center bolt valve covers for the V6. I didnt think things through when i found a good deal on a set of brand new GM performance parts roller rockers at Summit's scratch and dent sell one day bought them got them home and bam damn things wouldnt fit under the stock covers and wouldnt you know it noone makes a set of aftermarket covers period for 96 and up 4.3 vortec heads so i had to come up with my own solution. Bought a cheap set of cast aluminum tall covers for center bolt V8 heads did a little wittling on them and bamn the first set of tall center bolt covers for a vortec V6.

These are why I had to build these.

ry%3D400

And a cover next to its mini me cover

ry%3D400

Full length V8 cover on the V6

ry%3D400

And a finished one on the engine.

ry%3D400

And because my ass is too lazy to keep them polished here they are in gloss black.

ry%3D400

Man Looking good, I hope the 4.3 performs well. Many 4.3's seem to be a bit flat

Hopefully the turbo will really WAKE that dude up. Congrats on a clean lil build

Thanks man. Yeah stock 4.3s run alright but not big power houses for sure. One of my good friends told me about some rail buggy guys he knows told him that they have seen it done several times and said a turbo and propane will wake one the hell up. :****: I hope its true but I have never seen one myself so I've still got my fingers crossed.
Hot Rod magazine built an 92 non vortec 4.3 several years ago with a 750cfm carb some bigger valves in the heads 9to1 compression and a cam swap and it dynoed 301HP so who knows what this one is going to do turboed. I was at first only expecting 300-350 HP out of it but since going back and reading their results I don't know 400HP????? :dunno:

Re: Turbo Yota buggy build

Cant wait till the Dr gives me the go a head that I'm healed enough from my surgery to actually do some real work on this thing but till then I have been going crazy wanting to work on it. The turbo down pipe is the only thing I have been able to tinker with so far. I can tell you that i like welding stainless steel but polishing it is one big pain in the ass compaired to aluminum but damn its pretty. :woot: :woot: Two more elbows to weld on when the UPS man gets them to me loller.gif and then polish the whole thing and the exhaust will be done.

Re: Turbo Yota buggy build

Before the polish job
ry%3D400

And after a little polishing
ry%3D400

Latest posts