• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

u-joint failure... riddle me this

bad install? why tack them in?axles are hardend....might work for a weekend....most of the time the hole gets screwed up pushing the old caps out..

bad install? why tack them in?axles are hardend....might work for a weekend....most of the time the hole gets screwed up pushing the old caps out..

It's just what seems to work for me... running 36" tires on stock D44 shafts with spicer joints, caps tack welded in... never had a problem. The tack weld keeps the cap from rotating in the ear of the shaft and galling the surface and/or hogging out the ear. Also, another important piece is making sure the steering stops are adjusted to avoid oversteering the joint.

However, I've only ever done this on stock shafts with spicer or other joints, not cromo's and high zoot joints.

At some point you just have to say "It's a D44, I'm running heavy 39.5" tires, chit's gonna break" :redneck:

I would only tack the old factory OEM spicer joints/axles.

bad idea on alloys.

Bad idea on cheap new ujoints. Some of the new parts store joints have a plactic/teflon kinda washer thingy in the end of the cap to fight friction on the caps end to fight endplay.

when tacked it melts into the needles. bammer.:booo:

My options would be,
1 alloys with bobs joints
or
2 old spicers with ORIGINAL spicer joints that have been rusted in for 20 years.

those last the longest.

man its been awhile since I babysat a D44.

just put a yota axle in there!:kissmyass:

I would only tack the old factory OEM spicer joints/axles.

bad idea on alloys.

Bad idea on cheap new ujoints. Some of the new parts store joints have a plactic/teflon kinda washer thingy in the end of the cap to fight friction on the caps end to fight endplay.

when tacked it melts into the needles. bammer.:booo:

My options would be,
1 alloys with bobs joints
or
2 old spicers with ORIGINAL spicer joints that have been rusted in for 20 years.

those last the longest.

man its been awhile since I babysat a D44.

just put a yota axle in there!:kissmyass:

I have ran tacked in joints on alloys--you have to be smart about it.

or just part out ur dana 44, and add some money and get a stock 60 for now

seriously considering this option. But I want to be back on the trail ASAP not slowly building this summer. Every summer some way or another I end up in a full on project because something broke. Well not this summer. Maybe winter time.

get some good SPICER u-joints, and full circle clips.
you shouldnt have this issue.

OR get some CTm's, long, or yukon ujoints

i ran yukon 44 shafts and joints in my buggy with 39.5's and had no problems, rokrig owns it now and has only broke one i believe. also it was lighter than ur turd so im sure that helped.

i ran yukon 44 shafts and joints in my buggy with 39.5's and had no problems, rokrig owns it now and has only broke one i believe. also it was lighter than ur turd so im sure that helped.

What kind of u-joints.

yukon joints, but bobbys are very similar and probably hold up the same. just make sure ur shafts are chromoly or it would be a waste of time.

:cheer:
yukon joints, but bobbys are very similar and probably hold up the same. just make sure ur shafts are chromoly or it would be a waste of time.

Already have chromoly's. Only time I broke one was when I slammed into a tree at full throttle and the tire caught it. Thanks for the info.

Now anyone wanna buy a mini lathe?? I need some U-joints :redneck:

:cheer:

Already have chromoly's. Only time I broke one was when I slammed into a tree at full throttle and the tire caught it. Thanks for the info.

Now anyone wanna buy a mini lathe?? I need some U-joints :redneck:

Have a pic of the lathe ,what kind is it ?

Dont know what I want to do with stickers yet but i can throw u some cash so when iam ready could get the RV done ...

Last edited:
Mike, Please please please. I got another great smiley idea. First, a pile of poo, second a hand polishing it..It changes from brown to blingy chrome..Good idea?? Im sure it would get used as much as the kiss my a$$ smiley

Yeah, that was quite a fluke incident. Just rollin up a trail at Reiter and didn't see a part of a stump that was sticking out into the trail. It stopped the passenger front tire but the buggy wanted to keep going. Quite the jarring incident as the ujoint gave way with quite a bang. It didn't want to break but it just had no other choice :)

I've got 4340 Yukon chromalloy shafts and Bobby Long's joints in currently.

Mike, Please please please. I got another great smiley idea. First, a pile of poo, second a hand polishing it..It changes from brown to blingy chrome..Good idea?? Im sure it would get used as much as the kiss my a$$ smiley

Find it for me joe :redneck: