• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

u-joint removal/installation tool?

Dain Bramage

is there one? i hate doing u-joints, and really hate using the BFH method. the guy who usually does my u-joints uses a ball joint press, and that seems to work pretty good, but i was wondering if there was a tool specifically designed to remove and install u-joints.

ya, the BFH is your best bet.... hey if you wait a little while, within the week, i'll have one of the ball joint tools, just bring it over to the house and we'll fix 'er up right.... i have a pretty good method with the trusty BFH too, so if it came down to it, we could do it that way, i've changed enough of them:awesomework:

There's an attachment for an air hammer in one of our latest fliers from one of the tool guys, like $20. But a BFH and vise is still better.

i do not use a hammer at all, i have a good vice. Put a big socket on the end the cap is coming out of, use a socket just smaller than the cap od on the other end, crank vice in. Use vice grips to remove cap(in my experience the caps are so hard the vice grips will not mar them) reverse sockets and repeat. A hammer just makes the job sweaty.

Just curious what method you guy's are using to change out U- joints, Using my method, I can go from old complete, to new complete in about 2 minutes, with a little hammer and a little vise.