• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

U Joints

poolman

Ok ,just taken my first ride in my new build, juggy, mild built 400 scb 350 turbo, 205 ,,, 513,,gears. 60 front 35 spline shafts ,drive flanges 14 bolt rear, 43".stickies on H1s

New Spicer U Joints

I broke the rear Spicer U joint on the second decent try on a good hill,, SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!
It gets better,, pulled the shaft and tried to get out of the woods, small hill and broke the front Spicer you joint?????? When I say small hill to a Sami in 31" do it!! Confused and pissed!!

If it's just you joints what's the best bag for buck to do? Thanks guys

Thanks

A lot of stuff can happen on your first ride that didn't happen in the garage.
Limit straps, bump stops, drive shaft doesn't have enough slip. All these happened on my first weekend. Ended up with chains for limit straps and 2x4 for bump stops, but had a hell of a weekend.

1310 front, 1350 rear angles look good to me nothing appears to be in a bind :dunno:

On one of my previous rigs I installed a joint backwards. It showed up very quick when I sent a small shock through the driveline. The bad part was I just watched a same on 235s go up the small ledge. There is a right and wrong way to install a with ujoint that has a grease fitting in the body. If the grease fitting is in the cap there is no right or wrong.

You definitely need to dig deeper on this prob. You really can't buy a joint that won't break with your problem.

When you say angles look good, what's that mean? ...... Pics?

Is it possible that your drive shaft it too long and is collapsing all the way under compression and breaking the joint?

Re:

I used to trash u joints a lot until someone pointed out that I was tightening my u bolts too tight and it wouldn't let it spin on the bearings inside.

I broke a rear universal at Chocco a couple of weeks ago, come to find out I did not allow enough travel for the slip yoke once the jeep started to climb. That along with a bad johnny joint bushing on the rear links compressed the slip yoke all the way and the only other give that the shaft had was the rear universal joint. Ended up hacksawing about an inch of the slip yoke installed a new universal and all was ok for the rest of the day. I know :afro: but it allowed us to ride the rest of the day. ;D

Update, the front was definitely in a bind, I was lucky it didn't break before the back. I broke the ear off the 205 yoke , not sure why unless its the angle. Whats the best remedy for a high angle shaft?

I have used the tom woods "super flex joint" with good success before. If your binding is very severe it may not be enough though. A 1410 joint will have more travel, than a 1350. That might be a solution, or going to one of the high angle driveshafts.

I actually have a 1310 "super flex joint" that I had before I went to 1410 joints. Only been on 2 rides. Let it go for $40 if you would like to give it a try. 859-two65-0 two 3 zero

uglyoffroad said:
I have used the tom woods "super flex joint" with good success before. If your binding is very severe it may not be enough though. A 1410 joint will have more travel, than a 1350. That might be a solution, or going to one of the high angle driveshafts.

I actually have a 1310 "super flex joint" that I had before I went to 1410 joints. Only been on 2 rides. Let it go for $40 if you would like to give it a try. 859-two65-0 two 3 zero ???

I appreciate the offer and I might do that. But I'm thinking the stickies will be hard on 1310? Maybe I'm wrong.... Thoughts?
Maybe I should just upgrade everything to 1350/1410???? Idk

Re: Re: Re:

onepieceatatime said:
I used to trash u joints a lot until someone pointed out that I was tightening my u bolts too tight and it wouldn't let it spin on the bearings inside.
This is a very common problem. People don't know to stop once the lock ring gets flat.