• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Unofficial DNR/Reiter Rocky Buggy

This sounds like a cool project! Here's some pics for some ideas.
800px-Skidder528.jpg

skidder.jpg

skidder1.JPG

skidder.jpg

Maybe this is your answer to low impact log transport:redneck:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JN3IK61x_I[/YT]

I'm straying away from the "boom" idea........I'm not going to necessary be "lifting" anything......just slightly raising the hooked end of the log and dragging it a short distance.

This is exactly was I envision.

What is the blue log grabbing thing in this pic called? Anybody have a line on one for donation? or at least available for extended use?

Log grappler .... I'll hit up a few loggin' buddies up here & see if they have one layin' around they're not using...

something to think about is tire pressure, you will have to air up to accomplish this task and thus reducing the tread lightly effect? what about rigging up a trailer with a simple turn table crane and out riggers this would minimize the damage and still allow you to drive on closed trails (what you want to do any how). how much do you think these logs weigh? Ill bet someone on here has an old m style trailer that could be modified out riggers could be just pin in place (no need for hydraulics) crane is even easier could just do some heavy ball bearings or I might be able to call in a favor and get a slew ring bearing. let me know what you think I could through some designs together

Technical thinking.....I like it.:awesomework: I don't have an answer for all the points, but I know someone on here does.......pipe up guys.:awesomework:

I attribute treading lightly with the driver more than tire pressure......but yes I will have to keep my tire pressures up. PS......I don't run Super Swamper's, I run bald-ass BFG sticky Krawlers with ARB lockers and 42 degrees of front and rear steering. They'll disturb less ground than the log being drug itself.

Thanks for your support.:cool:.......

Something like this? :redneck:

100_0282.jpg

......and a "bumper" for the butt of the log are some things you should think about.

......and yes a bump-plate for the end of the log would be necessary. There are lots of exposed steering, suspension components back there, along with the fuel cell.

I like what you have pictured there.:scratchhead: Could be a nice alternative to a large (dangerous) pole.

I have 100 feet of new 5/16 winch cable and a good block I will donate if you could use it.PM me if interested:awesomework:

Well, up here I have MANY (probably close to 150ft) feet of 3/8 wire rope along with cable clamps for said cable, and there happens to be a portable winch plate avail to use for the project if needed:awesomework:...possibly even a winch to mount to the plate. Let me know.

Thank you both.....I'll be in contact soon.

I'm straying away from the "boom" idea........I'm not going to necessary be "lifting" anything......just slightly raising the hooked end of the log and dragging it a short distance.

This is exactly was I envision.

What is the blue log grabbing thing in this pic called? Anybody have a line on one for donation? or at least available for extended use?

I have one log grappler, these work great for what you need it for.
would bring my buggy if needed too.

More parts:

It seems having a winch will be a key component for this build. A hydraulic winch would be FAR SUPERIOR to an electric winch, for the tasks at hand.

I run a T-Maxx 8000 on the front (junk) and a Harbor Freight 1700 on the rear (even more junk). So mine would not work for long.

Any ideas?

I have one log grappler, these work great for what you need it for.
would bring my buggy if needed too.

If we can't find one for "permanent duty" on my rig......I'll give you a shout.

And yes....your buggy would be perfect for what we're doing.

My initial idea was this:

1. Mount a log grappler to the rear of my rig, along with a protective plate for the butt end of the log.

2. Put 300psi (50psi more than I run at ride height) of nitrogen into my rear shocks.

3. Using my rear suspension suck-down winch......lower the grappler (and the entire rear end of the vehicle) to the ground and hook the butt end of the log.

4. Release the rear winch pressure on the rear suspension. Now, the (additional) pressure in the air shocks will lift the log a few inches off the ground and make it "easy" to drag. Drag it into place.

5. Suck down the rear winch, lowering the log to the ground, and un-hooking the log.

Move on to the next log.

:corn:

Last edited: