• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

V-10 in a Ford Good or Bad?

I've got a 2000 Excursion Ulimited with the 7.3 (it now has a full Gale Banks kit). I could have purchased 2 gas rigs for what I paid for the diesel. I tow a lot and wanted the extra power and mileage of the diesel. I have 145K on it now with no issues since I changed the trans 2 months after I bought it. Broken electric doors locks are a very common problem and I found that every X I looked at had them changed or needed them changed. I installed air bags and a rear anti sway bar right after I got the rig and while it helped the towing handling in a big way, the unloaded handling sucks. Even with the min air in the bags the thing rides like an empty dump truck. I'm thinking about getting new shocks (it has a black gas shock now-brand??) but I don't expect much difference.
The room is great (easy to sleep in) and the back-up sensors were a welcome surprise. I always thought they were the gayest option ever...until I had them.

ford v-10

man I love the v-10 I roll an 01 excursion on 39.5's and it has tons of power the economy isnt the greatest but it has 354 gears my 01 is on 42's with a 5spd and 427 gears and gets 15-17mpg and you cant kill them they run out good

My buddy had an '01 F250 Crewcab with the V10. He absolutely loved it and is kicking himself for getting rid of it. We pulled a fully loaded 24ft enclosed trailer many times over to Moses with no issues. I'd get one.

When I worked for RMC we had an F250 with the v10. I worked in the marine division and often would pull boats ranging from 15-30'. That v10 pulled the 30 footers up hiway 18 off 167 awesome. I always thought the v10 had great pulling power for a gas rig. One of the salesman had a 97 powerstroke and if I had the choice would much rather pull with the v10. The powerstroke only had intake and exhaust just for the record

They some also have issues with the coil on plug, easy to fix but annoying. I imagine a 5.4 X would be pretty gutless, especially when loaded?

Why not get a 5.3 suburban, better motor and mileage. Or you could go for the 8.1L 3/4 ton burb, should be dirt cheap too. A 6.0 burb would be sweet, although I dont know how many there were out there.

I have a 01 v-10 Its sole job is to tow my junk and it works well. The spark plug issue the 4.6 5.4 and 6.8 have is a simple fix. I helped design the wurth tool years ago. took a few variations but the end result is easy and simple to use. If you have the engine warm to the touch or room temp it helps prevent tearing out the threads (what little they have) Also as gay as it sounds proper torque is key.

I have 2 buddies with the v-10......mpg sucks ass.......and the one has long legs in the ass and don't pull for ****- the other one chipped his and it's a f n rocket! sounds like a swarm of bees when towing over white pass....makes me giggle....tows good but wow you have to tach that bugger out to make it pull hills.....i also was looking into one in the excursion, like said earlier- 10k to half the price, i can buy alot of fuel for that!:redneck: