• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Vibration...

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
so i know it's a 4x4 talk area but, it's still a problem nonetheless. At about 30MPH i get a humming vibration out of the front end of my '94 golf going straight down a road, it gets louder as i increase speed and gets just slightly louder turning to the drivers side, but, almost if not all the way disappears when i turn to the passenger side. i'm thinking an alignment is in order but i want to get some insight from other people. i've got a diff. set of tires on so it's not the tires. i thought it might be a CV axle but they seem to be fine. thanks for the help.:corn:

hmm, cus he said he had just replaced them i think. it didn't feel like anything was loose though when i shook stuff around, or would it be loose. so you don't think an alignment would solve it? maybe help?

crash and if it's not the wheel bearings will you give me $100. :redneck:

that way i have money to replace it. :redneck:

Did you jack up the car and try and wiggle the tire around? I still think its a wheel bearing.

ya, i had the tires off and everything, i'll have to do it again when i get home to make sure though. cus i wasn't really looking for that at the time, cus i thought they were already done.

i have to get this thing operating like a champ, i have been challenged to a rally:cool: :haha:

Leave the tires on it when you check the wobble.When you do it grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle back and forth.If there is movement the bearing is bad.

that what i tried last night w/o the tire on, because i was in a hurry swapping tires and like i said i didn't think to try it with the tire on. cus we all know that with the tire on it doesn't give you leverage to check more precisely:rolleyes: :mad: :haha:

thanks

Boonie Buster said:
that what i tried last night w/o the tire on, because i was in a hurry swapping tires and like i said i didn't think to try it with the tire on. cus we all know that with the tire on it doesn't give you leverage to check more precisely:rolleyes: :mad: :haha:

thanks

........................:;

i seem to space out on some of the simpler things when it comes ot vehicles, i usually bypass the first things to do. i was seriously thinking i was going to need to rebuild the subframe and weld some brackets to the fenders and adjust my blinker fluid rates all over again:redneck:

once agian thanks for the help as usual guys. i'll let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

zig80toy said:
Are the tires new? Old separated tires can cause a problem similar to this...

he's got the problem with 2 different sets of tires.....

Boonie, just throw it on to the super secret project frame instead. That will fix all problems:flipoff:

zig80toy said:
Are the tires new? Old separated tires can cause a problem similar to this...

Typically not- You will get more of a pull than a noise from a seperatin g tire.

If you have a seperated tire on the front the steering wheel will shake bad and the vibration will always be there .Well only if the car is moving!:D

Toyotanut said:
he's got the problem with 2 different sets of tires.....

Boonie, just throw it on to the super secret project frame instead. That will fix all problems:flipoff:

i had the problem with two TIRES not sets, this is diff. from when the separation happened, ya i know what it feels and sounds like witha separated tire. and i checked all the ones that just came off it too. and the ones i put on (2 new, 2 80%) are fine.

Brian H said:
If you have a seperated tire on the front the steering wheel will shake bad and the vibration will always be there .Well only if the car is moving!:D

ya at low speeds you'd feel it shake really bad with a separated tire, but i don't have that.

crash said:
Typically not- You will get more of a pull than a noise from a seperatin g tire.

Ahh true, I need to learn to reed beter. didnt catch the part about the noise, was thinking just bad vibs and pulllling...

Put it up, remove tires if you want, put it in 5th (or D), and get a stethascope and listen to each bearing housing. You'll hear it if it's a bearing... And it does sound an aweful lot like a bearing.