• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WA DNR Trail Policy Public Meetings

Horus was rejected for geographic reasons. "Our region was already well represented" :rolleyes: I hope some people can attend these and post the details of the meetings. If they go badly as we suspect it will be time to raise hell and blow up the process. Doug and Brock will be hearing from me a lot if this happens. :mad:

Putting the blame on somebody is silly--blame the whole community...

Its sad a few will step up front and be the punching bags while many many others sit behind and do nothing but whine and bitch about the end results.

Our community has a long record of being whiney bitch's who do nothing until its too late--seen it many many times...

Sitting and pointing fingers does nothing--jumping in and giving it your all can and has.....

Putting the blame on somebody is silly--blame the whole community...

Its sad a few will step up front and be the punching bags while many many others sit behind and do nothing but whine and bitch about the end results.

Our community has a long record of being whiney bitch's who do nothing until its too late--seen it many many times...

Sitting and pointing fingers does nothing--jumping in and giving it your all can and has.....

THIS ^^^^^^^

I deleted the rest

I'm pretty disappointed. And after this weekend of having fun outside again, maybe all my buddies are right: **** it and keep building our own secret trails.

Mabey we should take a page from the MTN bikers book and do the same. Put DNR into triage and start building trails. I know we have old maps from the capitol forest that SHOW 4x4 trails, every other user group has trails there why not US?

Stu

Dave will have lot's to share with the committee...as you mentioned, he works for ODF building/maintaining trails at Tillamook State Forest. He is an active offroad motorcycle rider and is a founding member of WOHVA.

Not only is Dave strongly pro-ORV he has a solid history of lighting up bureaucrats that don't do their job. He also understands law and knows where to ask when in doubt. Dave also builds and rides wicked trails. He gets it and has the balls to do the right thing regardless of political pressure.

Mabey we should take a page from the MTN bikers book and do the same. Put DNR into triage and start building trails. I know we have old maps from the capitol forest that SHOW 4x4 trails, every other user group has trails there why not US?

Stu

Some of us have done just that. Brock knows full well that I build trail.

Do you live in Olympia? PM me, we have some fun scouting trips planned near vancouver... since I'm not on the committee, I have more free time! :beer: :corn:

will sa
Dave will have lot's to share with the committee...as you mentioned, he works for ODF building/maintaining trails at Tillamook State Forest. He is an active offroad motorcycle rider and is a founding member of WOHVA.

Not only is Dave strongly pro-ORV he has a solid history of lighting up bureaucrats that don't do their job. He also understands law and knows where to ask when in doubt. Dave also builds and rides wicked trails. He gets it and has the balls to do the right thing regardless of political pressure.

SO I have to ask if the bull in the room approach is working for you guys. Maybe you need to step back and look at why we are here in the first place rather that shooting off you mouth about it is our right. First off it isn't our right, It is our privilege to do so.

Now rather than fighting about what didn't happen I think we should be working on what we would like to see. Who is our opponent and what do they want, for real, not what you think. I think if Dave and Ed can get together and work out a strategy and then bring others on board to back it up, then there is a chance. I think we all want something, then we need to donate the cash to get the legal support that is needed.

This is a time to plan for battle, take no prisoners kind of stuff. But stomping your little feet and fighting between you all of what is you right isn't going to win this fight. They have a 10 year jump on you and federal laws on their side. You better know what the laws are, what you can and can't do to the letter of the law. This is a fight that knowledge will help you a lot and feeling will kill you.

This is down to Dave and ED. It they work as a team and work the problem for a solution. We will come out if this OK. If they can't, then we lost

Defense will not win the game. You need points on the board to win

Just my thoughts

SO I have to ask if the bull in the room approach is working for you guys.

Defense will not win the game. You need points on the board to win

Assertive, polite, fact and law based positions will be required.
Some people in our sport have confused compromise with appeasement.
Dave understands the difference and their ensuing outcomes.

They have a 10 year jump on you and federal laws on their side.

At least that long and they have positioned their advocates in governmental positions that influence the outcome. The anti-OHV world is well funded.

This is a fight that knowledge will help you a lot and feeling will kill you.

This can be our strength if we are wise. Hard facts typically drive out soft emotions when presented correctly.

I think if Dave and Ed can get together and work out a strategy and then bring others on board to back it up

Mike Ames, Steve Davies and Spencer King will also be key allies in seeking a pro-OHV outcome.

I think we all want something, then we need to donate the cash to get the legal support that is needed.

This will likely be true.
Even if not for this battle, supporting the election efforts of pro-ORV Legislators and funding lobbyists working on our behalf has a lot of value.

Last edited:
Sometimes it feels more like an organized surrender, than a fight for rights that we have/had.

That is because the "compromises" made in the past were not always true compromises where both parties give up something, just mere appeasement where we gave up less than originally demanded and the other side gave up nothing in return other than the reducing the demand that we be eradicated.

That said, victories or even true compromises will not come easily and we must work together and keep our internal disputes off the opponent's radar.

The trails committee has been selected...check out where they are from, what gets them outdoors & why they applied to be on the committee:

Donna Ruelas Semasko
--Olympia, WA
--Raising goats, upland bird hunting, hiking with pack goats, dog training, judging goats.
--I wanted to offer a pack goat enthusiast's knowledge/point of view as to trail policy discussions/decisions.

Dave Hiatt
--Tacoma, WA
--Being outdoors. I hike, bicycle, hunt, fish, ride street/dual sport/dirt motorcycles, ride ATVs and operate 4 wheel drive vehicles on/off road.
--I applied for this committee with the hope that together we can make recommendations for a WA DNR trails policy that will provide a framework for provision of more cost effective, sustainable, enjoyable and more numerous recreational trail facilities on DNR managed land.

Jennifer Reandeau
--Joyce (Port Angeles), WA
--Horses
--To help ensure DNR’s ability to have continuity in their trail systems with in Washington state.
--Retired Registered Nurse, life-long equestrian

Jon Knechtel
--Burlington, WA
--Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, being around my Grand Kids
--I’ve been involved with trails since the late 1950s, and since 1999 with the Pacific Northwest Trail, which stretches from the east side of glacier National Park to Cape Alava on the Washington coast. I’m also very involved with the Partnership for National Trails System which deals with all of the National and Historic Trails, designated by Congress (11 Scenic and 19 historic.) I sit on the Board of Directors for the PNTS as well as the Policy and Advocacy Committee.

Scott Tucker
--Port Angeles, WA
--Mountain biking, hiking, motorcycle riding, mushroom picking
--I look forward to being a part of the new policy especially in regards to mountain biking opportunities in our state. We have had great success on the Olympic Peninsula and I would like to share some of the reasons it has worked.

Heide Andersen
--Winthrop, WA
--Mountain biking, Nordic and backcountry skiing, horseback riding (three-day eventing)
--I have been involved in trails planning for most of my career, but mostly in the Rocky Mountains (CO and UT). I have been involved at the local level here in the Methow Valley (particularly with Nordic ski and mountain bike trails), but am very interested in getting engaged on a statewide and inter-agency level. I hope to be able to offer something from my past experience, but also to learn more about how trails planning is and has been done here in Washington. I also wanted to support the DNR in their efforts along these lines, because I think trails planning policy is critical to enhance user experiences while protecting sensitive resources.

Jim Anderson
--Washougal, WA
--Horseback riding and packing on trails. Hunting all kinds of game. Elk hunting with family is a long tradition, and bird hunting with my labs. Salmon, Steelhead and kokanee fishing.
--I'm the Vice President of BCHW so I'm representing that organization. By belonging to BCHW, a trail advocacy group I obviously have a strong interests in trails and recreation.

Andrea Imler
--Seattle, WA
--Hiking, mountain biking, trail running, camping, snowshoeing
--I am the advocacy director at Washington Trails Association. WTA is the voice of hikers in Washington State with a mission to preserve, enhance, and promote hiking opportunities. Trails are the primary way that hikers explore Washington State’s great wild lands. I applied to be on the committee given WTA's organizational focus on hiking and trails. In addition, WTA is the largest state-based trail maintenance organization in the country and we work to maintain trails on federal and state lands, including DNR lands.

Mike Ames
--Vancouver, WA
--Right now I mainly ride motorcycles (street and dirt) and ATV’s, although I’ve participated in many if not most forms of motorized recreation over the years. I’m also a hunter, fisherman, and avid camper and outdoorsman. In my younger years I liked to do a lot more hiking, rock climbing, skiing, and other non-motorized sports.
--I applied to the committee in the hopes that I could have a positive influence on the DNR’s trail building policies and hope to help to bring the DNR’s trail building policies in line with other agencies.

Steve Davies
--Everett, WA
--Scuba diving, ORV (dirt bike), fishing, just being in the out of doors, boating all in the past tense.
--First author of HB 2151. I would like to see it through in the same fashion it was made, with collaboration from all.

Kevin Hancock
--Olympia, WA
--Snow sports in this order: snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing. They are all great fun, and wonderful exercise.
--The legislature gave Washington's citizens a wonderful opportunity to help develop a program how we use our resources for everyone's recreation. My interest is to assist DNR in developing an excellent Recreation Program. I believe I can make a positive contribution by giving back what I learned from my work, and outdoor recreational experiences.

LeeAnne Nawrot
--Snoqualmie, WA
--Snowshoeing, cross country skiing, hiking, backpacking, road biking, and mountain biking
--I have never been on an official committee before, but I hope my unique perspective coming from someone who spent two years building mountain bike trails would add a positive element to policy making

Spencer King
--Omak, WA
--ATVing, RC cars, golfing
--Want to continue to work with the DNR as the President of the NC ATV Club

Eric Brown
--Bellingham, WA
--Mountain Biking, Hiking, Motorcycle riding
--I want to help create more recreational opportunities for all responsible user groups in our State Forests and make it easier for the DNR to manage

Ed Tenney
--Snohomish, WA
--Motorized recreation, 4x4, Quad and Goldwing Touring
--I'm thankful to be able to serve on this committee and hopefully provide some thoughtful and useful input during the process of creating a Policy to guide the DNR.
--My most favorite vacation was in 1997, first trip to the Rubicon Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, near Lake Tahoe, beautiful area.

Karl Forsgaard
--Mercer Island, WA
--Hiking, backpacking, road bicycling, climbing and skiing
--To advocate for ecosystem protection and quiet recreation

Glenn Glover
--Renton, WA
--Mountain biking, climbing, hiking
--Evergreen was involved in crafting the final bill and I look forward to working with DNR and the rest of the committee in creating a Trails Policy that improves recreation on state lands.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/Topics/RecreationPlanning/Pages/amp_rec_trails_policy.aspx

Karl Forsgaard
--Mercer Island, WA
--Hiking, backpacking, road bicycling, climbing and skiing
--To advocate for ecosystem protection and quiet recreation

This will be a guy that is a thorn in all motorized ideas' side...:smack:

Donna Ruelas Semasko
--Olympia, WA
--Raising goats, upland bird hunting, hiking with pack goats, dog training, judging goats.
--I wanted to offer a pack goat enthusiast's knowledge/point of view as to trail policy discussions/decisions.

What the heck do goats have to do with trail Policy? :wtf:

What the heck do goats have to do with trail Policy? :wtf:

She was at the meeting in Tumwater. I guess she uses goats as a pack string, mostly in Capital Forest. Seems weird to me but I'm willing to work with any user that doesn't want to exclude ORV's from public lands. She didn't seem anti-ORV. Indifferent is good enough for me at this point.

I will put my money on:

Andrea Imler
--Seattle, WA
--I am the advocacy director at Washington Trails Association. WTA is the voice of hikers in Washington State with a mission to preserve, enhance, and promote hiking opportunities. Trails are the primary way that hikers explore Washington State's great wild lands. I applied to be on the committee given WTA's organizational focus on hiking and trails. In addition, WTA is the largest state-based trail maintenance organization in the country and we work to maintain trails on federal and state lands, including DNR lands.

Being the real PITA. But it does appear there is a good cross section of people.

I will put my money on:

Being the real PITA. But it does appear there is a good cross section of people.
Welcome to NWW. Nice first post. Always glad to see folks paying attention to the politics of wheeling. Hope to see you in the Introduce Yourself threads.

I will put my money on:

Andrea Imler
--Seattle, WA
--I am the advocacy director at Washington Trails Association. WTA is the voice of hikers in Washington State with a mission to preserve, enhance, and promote hiking opportunities. Trails are the primary way that hikers explore Washington State’s great wild lands. I applied to be on the committee given WTA's organizational focus on hiking and trails. In addition, WTA is the largest state-based trail maintenance organization in the country and we work to maintain trails on federal and state lands, including DNR lands.

Anyone here aware that WTA can put together a work party of say 25 people and charge them each $200 (charitable donation) to attend. They will have a waiting list. They do it numerous times each year. Their group realizes that you have to pay to play.

How would that sit with our user base?