• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

waggy's or toy's?

crapyota

so after another great wheelin trip in wich i managed to break all 4 studs on my steering arm :;(thats a whole nother thread" dumbass mistakes") . i got under the truck to start tearing it down,and i found another broken set of springs up front :mad:
i am running a mixed pack of toyota rears upfront. im running 5 leafs,and it seams that lately im breaking a front set every other time out :wtf: !
so my dillema is do i keep building springs with a headache every trip? minimal cost. or should i use something else?
i have a set of waggy springs. they are 7 leaf. what are some pros and cons of running these instead of the toy rears upfront? are they gonna give me more lift then i have now? am i gonna have to change anything? looks like the center pin is a couple inches back from what the toy pin is.
i know i could spend 250 for new springs,but right now i need cash for better things(cage,steering box mount,:beer: etc.)
i have searched but not realy finding what i want. so im asking for first hand experiences.. thanks

I have no experience with the waggys and a toy, but FWIW I'm running the 7 leafs F/R in my YJ and have had no issues with bending or breaking. They flex awesome.

you saw my setup do decent, my shocks limit alot. i tell you and and people that ask me about mine. run stock rears up front without overload, add a leaf to make it a 6 pack. run stock waggys in the rear. mine sets low so if you want height, mix up leafs till your happing. spring clamps help alot, keep in mind.

Im running stacked toy rear springs in the front and my only complaint with them is driveline seperation. What exactly broke?

you saw my setup do decent, my shocks limit alot. i tell you and and people that ask me about mine. run stock rears up front without overload, add a leaf to make it a 6 pack. run stock waggys in the rear. mine sets low so if you want height, mix up leafs till your happing. spring clamps help alot, keep in mind.

so yours is 6 leafs?
and you are also running waggys in the rear 5 or 7 leaf? i keep bending rears also just not as fast as fronts.
mine did have spring clamp on that side. you think 1 more leaf is gonna help much?
im happy with the height right now. dont think its to tall,and i could easily put on a bigger tire.
I have no experience with the waggys and a toy, but FWIW I'm running the 7 leafs F/R in my YJ and have had no issues with bending or breaking. They flex awesome.
Today 10:10 PM
:cool: how long you been running them?

Im running stacked toy rear springs in the front and my only complaint with them is driveline seperation. What exactly broke?

they flex awesome! i agree with that. i can stuff my tire all the way. some have seen it wheel. but i keep bending them on the front half of the spring. they then break a leaf usualy a couple inches up from the u-bolt plate. i think another problem is i dont have the best bumpstops either and the springs come way up,and flatten out.

My truck sits low and twists to the point that i actually thought about putting a limiter strap in the front. And yes i have a long travel front driveline slip. Oh and my springs are the longer newer style i think ?

Is your truck 4 banger? And i dont have waggys in the rear, i have 2wd rear springs, real twisty but wearing fast. Ive been running the fronts for over a year and im anything but nice to them, they sit flat also and the only way i see them breaking is if theybent between the hanger and perches from forcing the front tire foreward and down.

My truck sits low and twists to the point that i actually thought about putting a limiter strap in the front. And yes i have a long travel front driveline slip. Oh and my springs are the longer newer style i think ?

dont realy got any good ones but this is how it sits.
bobbed011.jpg

im happy with the height. it flexs decent just snaps,and bends springs. im also not the nicest guy on them, but changing springs everytime sucks.
paulie your vote is to build another set. ive got 1 complete rear pack and a bunch of misc. leafs i could try again.
no one has ran 7leaf waggy's upfront on a toy?

My ftoy runs 6 leaf rear packs and is perfect. had the same setup in my last 2 full body'd rigs and in all honestly could of used a 7th leaf.

How you cut and stagger them makes a huge difference, same with running the clamps.

I try and keep the springs at 2-3" from the ends of the above leave.

bump stops will also help them live.

i havent personally ran waggys but back in the day everyone i new seemed to think waggys were the way. I wasnt impressed. and ill agree with pook stagger and clamps are key. Anyway you look at it if you want twist regardless of strength, is having multi thin leaf packs that are long. you might try a long thick main leaf with the rest thin, but dont quote me on that... just an idea I was thinking about at one time dont know how it would work, just some food for thought.

The clamps are important because it keeps the whole pack working togther to combat axle wrap and also helps stop them from bending due to smashing into stuff

i went through the same thing few years back, switched to the waggys with an added secondary leaf to make 8 and no problems ever again, my center pins are redrilled about an inch fwd to help make up the loss from the rears being ahead more. go waggys

i went through the same thing few years back, switched to the waggys with an added secondary leaf to make 8 and no problems ever again, my center pins are redrilled about an inch fwd to help make up the loss from the rears being ahead more. go waggys

thanks good info! this is what i was looking for i knew i wasnt the only one with this problem. the center pin was one thing i was wondering about kinda like the wheel base. how much height difference you think between waggy's and the rears ? what are you running in the rear?
anyone else?

I ran waggy 7 leafs until they bent real bad. They didn't break but now I run rears up front and haven't had an issue. Stock '85 pack on 36 iroks and a 4.3L

This is an awesome thread! Would you guys mind elaborating a little bit more though, like I'm assuming you're all running your springs SOA, but are you talking about stock Waggys or lift Waggys or ? Same with the Toys? I'm planning on throwing a D44 under my Nissan pickup this summer and have been doing a lot of thinking about the correct springs; this thread has helped out a ton already!

talking about stock waggy,and stock toy rears.
the toyota rears usualy have an extra leaf added.
the waggys left stock, or modded if you like i guess.

426rider how long have you had your rears on. and what did you do? you left them alone,but took out over load i assume.
my first set i made actualy was a set of 85 rears with an extra leaf from a 85 2wd rear set. they lasted the longest,but i still broke them. think i will take some pics of what i have laying around and see what everyone thinks.

i run 39 iroks on my waggys and theyll tuck. i run a ranger mainleaf(57) outback with a hybrid pack of toy rears and taco and some other crap...