• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Walker Valley 'lets get Expressway open' Work Party

japerry

This saturday we're going to make a concentrated effort to get the expressway ready for re-opening.

What needs to happen?
Securing the impacted site is step #1. DNR needs to see that the closure barriers we put in place this weekend can hold up before they commit to re-opening expressway.

This means we need to:
  1. Install 4-8 Bollards at the intersection of expressway and upper mainline
    This requires 4-5 rigs with the Bollards, Bags of quick-crete cement, and hands to get these installed.
  2. inspect upper mainline for any major water quality issues, and repair them
  3. Winch in barriers to entry on the western/lower part of lower mainline, including bollards, trees, and stumps.
  4. Need a portable welder to attach the sign to various structures

Meeting at the main parking lot 9am, Saturday the 9th.

If all goes well, and the closure is maintained, there is a possibility of opening Monday or tuesday June 18-19)

Hi All:

I will try to make this work party.

It is important to get the repair of the upper Mainline Trail moving, and to get the Expressway Trail open again for 4wd use!

Regards,

Alan

I just got the call to work the day shift saturday (ot), so I won't be making this one...

may not be able to attend ..... i currently do not have a discover pass :wtf:

You do not need a discover pass for this. If you come to volunteer you will get a day pass for free. (and it counts as hours towards a disco pass)

DNR will fill out a voucher of the hours you volunteered, and when you save up enough hours (24 total), and you mail in the vouchers, they'll mail you a D-pass...

DNR will fill out a voucher of the hours you volunteered, and when you save up enough hours (24 total), and you mail in the vouchers, they'll mail you a D-pass...

ug snail mail...wheeling time wasted waiting.....38 isn't too bad but 76 sucks needing one on the ford and one for the buggy

Hi All:

Successful work party today, and decent weather! :D

Got that washed-out section on the western end of the upper Mainline Trail blocked-off today.

This will allow re-opening the remainder of the upper Mainline trail as well as the Expressway Trail, but these trails can now only be accessed from the east, and run as a loop.

Regards,

Alan

yup! Bollards up, thanks to Jam Session, his two buddies, and Mark m. for the help! will post some pics tomorrow.. err today. It was a good, long day. :awesomework:

Huge thanks to Wes and Brian for helping out with this, especially since they will probably never wheel expressway in their own rigs. Digging post holes in the hardpan and mixing the concrete by hand was a lot of work and they did a bunch of it. I'd also like to thank Jakob for organizing this work party, it's easy to sit on the internet and complain about trail closures so glad we could help do something about this one.

Mark and Jakob asked us to drop off the DNR tools on the way out and look who showed up while we were waiting for Alexis.

IMG_0229.JPG

I've never seen a bear at Walker before. This was between Humps and Bumps and Ron's Run.