• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Warn 8274 to front axle?

Symon623

Its a Hybrid
Anyone ever run a Warn 8274 cable/rope to their front axle without going through the fairlead? Just curious cos these winches mount from the front and if I pull from the bottom will it break the case/mounts?

Thanks

Wouldn't think so, A standard mount winch pulls the same way you would pull if going down to axle. I would be concerned if your bumper/mount has the correct bracing to pull down on it.

Sy

I think you've got a valid concern, as the mounting tabs aren't designed to be pulled against (i.e. - side loaded like that) but I'd do it anyway as the winch is stressed to pull up to 16000 pounds (snatched) and you're at most going to lift a few hundred.... Shouldn't be an issue. And if you're really concerned, you could either/or build a shim for the case underneath, and support it on the bottom, and/or weld on some bottom mounting tabs to use in conjunction with the top-front mounts.

T

Thanks Tony, I got replies from some guys on the PBB, and they've been doing it for years with no issues. Your right about the light pull, just enough to keep the front end from coming over on steep verts......

I'm gonna give it a try to see? And I'll leave this posted for future reference?? :D

CrustyJeep said:
A Snatch block does not place more load on the winch than single line.

Wrong.

It doesn't place more stress on the motor.

However, if you are lifting a 16000 (snatched) load, then you place twice the load on the mounting tabs and supporting bracketry. And Sy's question was pertained to the mounting bracketry capabilities, not that of the motor.

and there's a chance I may take you up on that beer you owe me tomorrow night.
T

Last edited:
TreeClimber said:
Wrong.

It doesn't place more stress on the motor.

However, if you are lifting a 16000 (snatched) load, then you place twice the load on the mounting tabs and supporting bracketry. And Sy's question was pertained to the mounting bracketry capabilities, not that of the motor.
Wrong :flipoff:

Not that it matters anyway, because as you said he'd only be putting a few hundred pounds on it... But...

The 16000 pound load in a single-snatched (we talking about winches or wenches here?) pull is SPLIT between the winch and whatever the other end of the line is tied off to. 8000 lbs at the winch + 8000 lbs at the tree = 16000 lbs. The only way to put 16000 lbs on the winch is to tie the line off back to the body of the winch somehow.

Think about it, if what you're saying were true, you wouldn't even be able to do a snatch pull on your standard 5/16" line without breaking it.

CrustyJeep said:
Wrong :flipoff:

Not that it matters anyway, because as you said he'd only be putting a few hundred pounds on it... But...

The 16000 pound load in a single-snatched (we talking about winches or wenches here?) pull is SPLIT between the winch and whatever the other end of the line is tied off to. 8000 lbs at the winch + 8000 lbs at the tree = 16000 lbs. The only way to put 16000 lbs on the winch is to tie the line off back to the body of the winch somehow.

Think about it, if what you're saying were true, you wouldn't even be able to do a snatch pull on your standard 5/16" line without breaking it.

:mad: D'OH. ok, I suck too. (that's for 'Manders, whom I was pickin' on earlier)

CrustyJeep said:

ok... (trying for salvation here)

the Jeep is stuck, and you've hooked up a snatched winch to a tree, and back to the Jeep.

the winch is on it's last layer of wrap, and the motor is giving it's all.

you're pulling with all 16000 pounds of pull, trying to unstuck yourself.

how much stress is on the SINGLE LINE of winch cable from you 8274-hybrid winch wench widget?

Even if you take the snatch into consideration, saying each side of the pulley is pulling an equal 8000, the cable at the back of the pulley is being pulled 8000 each way....

So my theory is that cable is supporting a 16000 load.

So your Broke Cable Winch story (reference Broke Back Mtn) is just gay.

T.

If I keep the cable at the direction it is currently pulling on the axle from, it will be pulling at about a 100° angle from the normal pull direction because the 8274's mount is combined with the fairlead in a vertical manner in the front of the winch.

Not wench Crusty. Thats another thread, feel free to post more......

TreeClimber said:
So my theory is that cable is supporting a 16000 load.
Nope. 8000 lbs, no more, at any point in the line :D

Try a little thought experiment... Imagine the rope is straight and stretched at 8000 lbs, with the block in the middle, touching the rope but not deflecting it. 8000 lbs, right? Now pull the block so it deflects the rope. The force in the rope remains at 8000 lbs. If the tension in the rope somehow went above 8000 lbs, it would start to bunch up.....

Last edited:
SysWillys said:
Thanks Tony, I got replies from some guys on the PBB, and they've been doing it for years with no issues. :D

Now there's the definitive source for information that I'd bet my junk on :rolleyes:

Way they handle just plain chat over there I'd worry that they stay awake nights dreaming up ways to fawk with people :D

Kinda like a friend used to live in the Dalles, had a business deal go bad on some parts and the guy from PDX asked him why he was crewing with him like this, he replied "Well,,,,,you have to understand, up here in the Dalles there isn't much to do. So sometimes a few of us get together at night and flip through the phone book and pick a number, that's the guy we'll fawk with that night" :haha:

JT Law said:
Now there's the definitive source for information that I'd bet my junk on :rolleyes:

Way they handle just plain chat over there I'd worry that they stay awake nights dreaming up ways to fawk with people :D

Kinda like a friend used to live in the Dalles, had a business deal go bad on some parts and the guy from PDX asked him why he was crewing with him like this, he replied "Well,,,,,you have to understand, up here in the Dalles there isn't much to do. So sometimes a few of us get together at night and flip through the phone book and pick a number, that's the guy we'll fawk with that night" :haha:

Good point JT, And I'm still leary of this issue. On the other hand, who says I can trust anybody's opinion here either? Tony (Teeclimber) is friends with my friends and is in teh same club I was in when I lived up there, almost the same scenario as one of the members on the other board, local Phoenix guy who knows me? but I don't know him? Crusty? Well Never met him either but he has a cool avatar.......:flipoff: