• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

We all hate to hear it and talk about it.... Helmets in rec wheeling.

Bones said:
Another question on these helmets y'all are using, seems mostly skater helmets?? Do they take repeated hits well?

I would assume so since skaters dump it a lot. Motorcycle helmets after one good dinger some say it's junk or send it in for a check. I sat one of my Shoei's on the shelf since last year after a get off on the KLR and nice head shot. Helmet looks fine, but I have no idea and it's not worth it to send it in for checks since it's fairly old.

Anyway you get my point.

YEA the skate helmets arent a 1 time use like a motorcycle helmet... You can throw a protec far as hell and they seem to hold up...

Bones said:
I can do that to my bike helmets too and they "look" fine.

well protecs don't have hard foam inside.. look at the construction there's nothing to them...

All I know is I've fallen a million times wearin' a protec onto hard concrete at Kona (hopefully Bryan can appreciate that Jax reference laughing1) when I skateboarded... and my dome is still okay thumb.gif

Speeding said:
I think if you say you're "just going to wear it on tough climbs", then you're never going to wear it. You will never remember to put it on unless you get in the habit of wearing it all the time. It's so easy just to let that helmet sit strapped to the cage. Also, how many of these wheeling deaths happened while on a hard obstacle? Dave Halabuk was on a dry lakebed at the hammers, Tom Guaraldo was messing around at speed. The right helmet is no less comfortable than a hat, so what's the big deal? Accidents happen when you least expect it.

Dave is the best example of WEAR A HELMET. He was wearing his seatbelt, lap only and konked his head on the ground right? How many of you have been there? P has I know, and he's lucky.

Yes and no. I am not going to wear the thing to and from the trail. Of course, the dude in AZ that died recently was not wearing a seatbelt on the way to the trail, rolled down an mountain and died. Car crushed him. Died on the way to the hospital. Harness up and he would be alive. Helmet or no helmet.

Tom G was not wearing seatbelt or a helmet. He died from contact with the ground. Seatbelt would have saved him. Helmet without seatbelt? Who knows.

It is a good discussion. I won't make it a habit like I do the harnesses, but it will be there when things can go south.

wngrog said:
Yes and no. I am not going to wear the thing to and from the trail. Of course, the dude in AZ that died recently was not wearing a seatbelt on the way to the trail, rolled down an mountain and died. Car crushed him. Died on the way to the hospital. Harness up and he would be alive. Helmet or no helmet.

Tom G was not wearing seatbelt or a helmet. He died from contact with the ground. Seatbelt would have saved him. Helmet without seatbelt? Who knows.

It is a good discussion. I won't make it a habit like I do the harnesses, but it will be there when things can go south.

Nolen, the graphic description I got from the Co. Springs guys that were close in that circle was the buggy actually rolled over his melon and I won't go further than that but it was a pretty bad story :eek:

The bars on your chassis do you no good unless you are inside the chassis. Like I said, even with a helmet and no seatbelt he most likely would still be dead.

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
What about a Hockey helmet? I was watching the Stanley Cup finals thinking about those?

what about hockey hair? I've seen a redneck or 2 out with business/party out back performing routine safety laughing1

Sample spot where I would be wearing my helmet 8)

335400014_ZiJ7t-L.jpg

InDaShop said:
My Prr-tec saved me from serious injury in Hannibal. Race 3, Kelly drove, and flopped on "The Eliminator", and I was on foot spotting on course.

I hooked the front winch to try and suck it over, and that slope was SOOOOO wet. I think everyone saw me fall from the front of the buggy (TOP) all the way down the driverside. My head bounced off the A pillar, and I caught my fall somewhat on the drivers window net. There is red paint on the A pillar from my Pro-Tec.

How fast did that happen? Instantly!
One second I was talking to Kelly next minute the little pine tree I had my foot braced against let loose and threw my ass down the hill.

I saw some vid of it, and it doesn't look good for me at all, you even here the crowd go "OHHHHH", and the announcer says something about it. But I spring right back up. Helmet took the full shot. :eek:

Here is a pic of me falling
DSC_0139_2.jpg

Here is a pic of Kelly wearing the Protec, with a Polycarbonate earpiece to mount the Blueant to.
DSC_0208_2_OVRLA.jpg

Juan_Hong_Loe said:
What about a Hockey helmet? I was watching the Stanley Cup finals thinking about those?
I've been playing ice hockey for about 12 years now (I'm an ex-yankee). A hockey helmet will protect you well and it's also good for repeated blows. However, to me it's a lot less comfortable. It's heavier, hotter, and the foam sucks up sweat and gets too firm. Also, my skater helmet doesn't smell at all but my hockey helmet could be used to fumigate the garage.

Hockey helmets are a good safe choice but I'd go with a skater helmet for rec wheeling and a DOT or bike helmet for going fast.

Sorry Wyatt but that pic of you falling made me laugh out loud...

Im sure from just lookin at the pic if not for the helmet you may have been knocked the fug out mayne ! laughing1

P said:
Sorry Wyatt but that pic of you falling made me laugh out loud...

Im sure from just lookin at the pic if not for the helmet you may have been knocked the fug out mayne ! laughing1
No its laughable, I dropped faster than a sack of potatoes. And yes, no doubt, I would have been knocked out from the hit.

I cant count how many times I'm nearly wiped out whilst billygoating over rocks in all the years spotting for people. I shoulda been wearing a helmet long before now.

vanguard said:
I've been playing ice hockey for about 12 years now (I'm an ex-yankee). A hockey helmet will protect you well and it's also good for repeated blows. However, to me it's a lot less comfortable. It's heavier, hotter, and the foam sucks up sweat and gets too firm. Also, my skater helmet doesn't smell at all but my hockey helmet could be used to fumigate the garage.

Hockey helmets are a good safe choice but I'd go with a skater helmet for rec wheeling and a DOT or bike helmet for going fast.

Hmmm. I've never worn a Hockey helmet but I though they would be somewhat light. Shows you what I know. :dunno:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/539/MNGR/Rockhard.aspx?SiteID=em_July_21_Gen_Rockhard&WT.mc_ID=35531&WT.i_e_dcsvid=1040032729

$350 molaugh molaugh molaugh

Freeeee Bird! :woody:
2008_Rockhard_Lynard_Skynyrd_Helmet_LYNARD_SKYNYRD_WINGS.jpg

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BIIIIIRD YEEAAAAAHAAAA

I could see someone wearin that laughing1 laughing1 laughing1 laughing1

Latest posts