• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding Classes

FiFo

I would like to take a class or two so that I can start doing my own welding. Problem is I can't seem to find any classes around here between "Gardening" and Professional. For example Lake Washington Tech. Collage has a "Welding for Garden Art" class, and when I E-mailed the instructor asking if he though it would work he recomended "Weld 113, 122, and 123. Also a theory
class weld 111."

So does anyone know of a class I could take this summer that would teach me the basic I would need to fab my own bumpers and such? I don't want to be a professional welder, I just want to work on my Jeep.

Practice makes perfect. The basics could be shown to you by someone you know that welds. Thats if you know someone that is a good welder and would be willing to help ya out.

also can learn basics online ; temps, gases, what wire/ rod for what metals/ alum. etc

and yes practice practice practice

You have it right. You'll learn 100 times more by taking a class than you would by having someone show you how to do it. I know RVTI has some great welding classes, I bet there are some closer to you too.

Definitely take the classes as opposed to having a bud show you. You'll learn the right way and not someone else's bad habits. I took TIG at EVCC. They have a great welding dept.

Im taking a welding and metal fab course at Sno-isle Tech next year for 3 hours a day. They have a shortened version of the course offered over the summer so i dunno maybe look into it. Also talk to MarcW he took basically all the welding classes at Lake Washington Tech

War-Jeeper said:
Im taking a welding and metal fab course at Sno-isle Tech next year for 3 hours a day. They have a shortened version of the course offered over the summer so i dunno maybe look into it. Also talk to MarcW he took basically all the welding classes at Lake Washington Tech

But thats only open to High School Students. I'm attending this year, wish I was in the fab class, but you cant beat workin with diesels.

XJonathan said:
But thats only open to High School Students. I'm attending this year, wish I was in the fab class, but you cant beat workin with diesels.

Ya im not much of a diesel guy myself....but ya talk to MarcW

FiFo said:
I would like to take a class or two so that I can start doing my own welding. Problem is I can't seem to find any classes around here between "Gardening" and Professional. For example Lake Washington Tech. Collage has a "Welding for Garden Art" class, and when I E-mailed the instructor asking if he though it would work he recomended "Weld 113, 122, and 123. Also a theory
class weld 111."

So does anyone know of a class I could take this summer that would teach me the basic I would need to fab my own bumpers and such? I don't want to be a professional welder, I just want to work on my Jeep.

i've taken every welding class Lake washington tech has to offer. its a good program, and half the teachers are awesome (Michael Hayes) shoot mike an email. there is also a 151 class, that is only a few credits, but its a do what you want, learn what you need class. the garden art class is kind of a joke. email mike hayes, and not Ben taves. mike is a much more hands on teacher than ben, Ben spends far too much time in the office, while mike will be right there in the booth teaching and helping you. hell, i'll teach you if ya pay me :flipoff: oh, and for a laugh, check out the class schedule catalog from two quarters ago, im on the cover, in the center, with a welding helmet and plaid shirt on. :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: FIFO, PM me for more details.... i know this program front and back, as well as the local American welding society chapter.

MarcW said:
i've taken every welding class Lake washington tech has to offer. its a good program, and half the teachers are awesome (Michael Hayes) shoot mike an email. there is also a 151 class, that is only a few credits, but its a do what you want, learn what you need class. the garden art class is kind of a joke. email mike hayes, and not Ben taves. mike is a much more hands on teacher than ben, Ben spends far too much time in the office, while mike will be right there in the booth teaching and helping you. hell, i'll teach you if ya pay me :flipoff: oh, and for a laugh, check out the class schedule catalog from two quarters ago, im on the cover, in the center, with a welding helmet and plaid shirt on. :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: FIFO, PM me for more details.... i know this program front and back, as well as the local American welding society chapter.

Ben Taves was my instructor when I was there...I never had any issues with him? In fact he invited me to be part of the team for the annual Welding Competion held up in Bellingham, he let me weld on my Jeep in class and pretty much build whatever I want. Mike is cool too.

You can't go wrong with either one.

rick geist, spscc's old instructor is now at renton tech. he was a pretty badass teacher, i got my structrucal SMAW certification under his wing.

then i let it lapse like a dumbass...

Jobless said:
Ben Taves was my instructor when I was there...I never had any issues with him? In fact he invited me to be part of the team for the annual Welding Competion held up in Bellingham, he let me weld on my Jeep in class and pretty much build whatever I want. Mike is cool too.

You can't go wrong with either one.

i have had classes with both, and i prefer mike over ben for a number of reasons. but it seems like you would get along with ben alot better than me from what i have heard from you :flipoff: go in there, i built a ton of crap sitting around the class, like the 15' tall 3 level pallet rack againt the wall, and a few other misc. projects. and like i said, for a laugh, try to find the winter registration catalog from last december, im the one in the middle with the welding helmet on :redneck:

MarcW said:
and like i said, for a laugh, try to find the winter registration catalog from last december, im the one in the middle with the welding helmet on :redneck:

Hahaha i remember that catalog, its true i have seen it and you should try to get ahlod of one just for kicks

Latest posts