• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding stainless?

Grommit327

Any special tips I need to know to mig stainless? I have to repair a water bath tank at work that has a ton of large hols in it. Material is 18ga and I have trimix gas and stainless wire. I'm going to take a couple practice passes on monday to see how it goes but the welds I do make have to be water tight...I don't want to goop silicone all over it if I can help it

TIG would be best if you need watertight.

Otherwise, if you MIG you need to use Argon as using any other gas mixture may result in too much heat for your 18 gauge material and just burn through it.

TIG would be best if you need watertight.

Otherwise, if you MIG you need to use Argon as using any other gas mixture may result in too much heat for your 18 gauge material and just burn through it.
As usual my work scoffed at me when I mentioned having it professionally tig welded. Oh well...guess they are going to live with silicone on it :D

ive welded tons of stainless exhaust with 75/25 and steel mig wire. this will work just fine. the only downfall is the welds will rust if not painted. ive welded lots of stainless tips on steel exhaust too with no probs.

good luck:beer:

Get it TIG'ed wire feed stainless wont be water tight and sucks azz, tlak to MarcW he has a TIg welder at home:awesomework:

if i had one i would offer to do it but i dont:mad:

We built all the stainless gutters at one of the big Microsoft buildings.We used Argon and .030 stainless wire....these things were huge and 100% water tight as all finished gutters were leak tested by us then the contractor....everyone was happy.......'cept theyre accountant:D