• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wet tank

June dog

Just had my "rci" tank re welded . Any one have any tips or tricks on how to get the leftover water out of the tank. It's been air drying for a couple days now and still has some water left in it. Last time I had it welded on I had to change all the filters and clean out the carb. Just curious if anyone has any tricks to get em dried out. Thanks.

How about some silica gel in a panty hose? Drop it in, and leave the excess sticking out. Should be dry overnight.

The way we do them is open the cap, and place opening of tank over the exhaust of a running vehicle. Exhaust fumes will dry it out in no time. No BS

Drain tank as best as you can then put some heet water remover in tank slosh it around then drain that if there is anything left the water remover should mix with it and it should be able to burn it off in the fuel system

Re: Re: Wet tank

jccarter1 said:
Drain tank as best as you can then put some heet water remover in tank slosh it around then drain that if there is anything left the water remover should mix with it and it should be able to burn it off in the fuel system
^^^^Good idea. I like it. Around here, you can't hardly buy that crap anymore cause the shade tree scientists were using it to make meth. I think its just denatured alcohol, pretty much. I used to use it in one of those "penny can" camping/hiking stoves.

Put in a quart of rubbing alcohol in is slosh it around and pour it out, install and add fuel. Always worked for me.

I'll try the heet or alcohol. It's been airing out all weekend so hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks for the suggestions. :dblthumb: There's always good info on this site.

Not really related but in the past on Heavy equipment when there was a crack at the top of a fuel tank we would run a hose from the welder exhaust over in the tank and let it run for a bit and then weld up the tank if it was lower and could get the fuel above the crack we would just weld it up while the fuel was leaking first time I saw this I was freaked out but has worked for along time this only works for DIESEL fuel tough I thought a old blow drier pointed inside this tank would over night would be good

If Ya live anywhere close to piper just take it to him, along with a water hose. Heard he can suck all the water out in one breath. Also if there's Any golf balls in there he can get them to come through the hose also. Mans talented I tell Ya. Haha.
Nah I would do the alcohol/ acetone thing. Somthjng that dries fast as hell. U can usually tell if it will work by pouring a lil on a nice cut on Ur hand. Tha results tskw about .003 seconds to let u know. :****:

kushKrawlin said:
If Ya live anywhere close to piper just take it to him, along with a water hose. Heard he can suck all the water out in one breath. Also if there's Any golf balls in there he can get them to come through the hose also. Mans talented I tell Ya. Haha.
Nah I would do the alcohol/ acetone thing. Somthjng that dries fast as hell. U can usually tell if it will work by pouring a lil on a nice cut on Ur hand. Tha results tskw about .003 seconds to let u know. :****:
molaugh. I used two quarts of alcohol , put a blow nozzle in it for a couple hrs and put it thru two bake cycles in our paint booth at work. I think I finlly got it all dried up. Im going to leave the blow nozzle in it tomorrow all day and put it back in the jeep tomorrow. It's time to,get back in the woods!

Air nozzle isn't gonna do much but burn the compressor up. It can put out the volume needed to do much in a good size tank.

But if you could tape the air hose in the fill hole and put sump as lowest point and let it blow thru like that might get it done.

Toddy said:
Air nozzle isn't gonna do much but burn the compressor up. It can put out the volume needed to do much in a good size tank.

But if you could tape the air hose in the fill hole and put sump as lowest point and let it blow thru like that might get it done.
I work at rather large body shop don't have to worry about the compressor. Ive had it standing on its end since Friday . With the alcohol rinse and baking it a couple times the air nozzle is just a little extra assurance it should be dry.

Latest posts