• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What Batteries?

jkh533

What is everybody over here running?

There is a thread on Pirate about this but good grief too many opinions flying over there :****:

Just currious :dunno:

I have always used Optima Red tops. They have a good warranty and I have had to use it several times. If not for the warranty I probably would have switched by now. In my single seat car I had to use a small one because of space and I used a Braille. It is small like the Odyssey, but it less expensive. It worked great.

Have used Optima Red, and Odyssey's. not complaints on either.

Heard the little stud on the Odysseys can break and become disconnected, but havent had a problem with the three I have.

I had optima Yellow top in the jeep and it worked great. I bought a new one for it when I did the rebuild and never had a problem either. My old buggy had a odyssey and it never gave me any problems either.

I know I can get red and yellow tops at NAPA or O'Reillies what about the Odyssey or Exide?

This is what i was hoping or expecting to get, at least narrowed down to 2.

COPPERHEAD42 said:
Kevin dads scout has a red top and so does my buggy. Your already ready for a battery :flipoff1:

Well Rob was askin me and I didn't know if Optima was still the best deal out there or not :dunno:

My motor should be coming any day, kid said he was waiting on rings and head gaskets :dblthumb: :****:

Did get a handful of parts Kelly cut out for me the other day :driving:

I have 2 dead optimas around here I've taken out of customers' rigs and miles comes home with one (AAA truck guy) once every 2 months. most of his red tops he drags home are still in the warranty period. That is what has made me shy about them.
Read that battery thread again, deka rebadges at Carquest seem to be good to most, and the other 2 that everyone was harping about, odyssey (and the rebadge at Sears) and one Derek West is running. The latter is newer, so if you don't want to be a ginea pig, go with one of the others. Miles has a warranty red top coming my way I'd hook you up with if you want to go that way too
Kelly

Every damn optima that I sell at the parts store comes back within a coupla months and has to be warrantied out. I wouldn't run one if you gave it to me, just my opinion. They're not the same battery they used to be. As far as power and cost goes advance sells a dual post 34/78 with the same cca as the optimas for like $200 less but you lose the non-spillable feature.

grcthird said:
Every damn optima that I sell at the parts store comes back within a coupla months and has to be warrantied out. I wouldn't run one if you gave it to me, just my opinion. They're not the same battery they used to be. As far as power and cost goes advance sells a dual post 34/78 with the same cca as the optimas for like $200 less but you lose the non-spillable feature.

You work at advanced in Jasper?

grcthird said:
Every damn optima that I sell at the parts store comes back within a coupla months and has to be warrantied out.
They're not the same battery they used to be.

THIS!!!! I had an old one I couldnt kill, caught it on fire, etc...
Went through two new ones before trying the Odyssey's, but they arent all that either, they are just tiny.

I tried to inquire about the exide Orbital at the local exide distributor.. They would not even talk to me or even let me look at one because I was not a dealer... I even asked them who I could buy one from and they just shrugged there shoulders, I ended up with a red top Optima and it has been good to me so far.. I have heard from a lot of folks the Optimas DO have there problems like any thing else... If you are going to buy one, I would buy it from a large chain like Advance or O'riellys who will gladly warranty them..

well the miliatary likes odyssey or hawkers. lots of cca. i have alot of exp on both. both deal real well. buy what u can afford.. odysseys and hawykers weigh more than optimas if thats an issue. hawykers are 88lbs a piece

i think peolpes problems w/ optimas is properly charging them... they think if its dead, just jump it off and the alt will charge it up, it doesnt, so they say they are junk... i run optimas in all of our rigs... cant tell you how many times allie has left her key on for weeks sometimes, put a proper 2 amp charge for 24 hours or more and it alive again... btw i engrave the date and who i bought my batteries from so that if i need the info i have it...

Good info guys, thanks for the responses.

I am all about a good deal and can afford to have it sit on a charger for a day if need be.

Let me know about that one Miles is gettin ya Kelly :dblthumb: