• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What car did you take your license test with?

TBItoy said:
99 beige Lumina.

At the time my dad was working in Jackson (hour drive away)which is where the driver testing center was.... Dad was "supposed" to work a half day then come home to get me and take me back to get my license.

Instead he just told me to meet him at the plant on his lunch break and he'd run me out to the driver center, he just swore me to secrecy that I wouldn't tell Mom molaugh .., we waited a good 10 years and still got the "Well something could have happened!" speech :****:

Nice lol. First time I ever got pulled over was at 11 years old. Dad was letting me drive a 5 speed 4 cyl old model S-10 on a back road and we came up on a cop who had a car pulled over. I slowed down, went around them, got over the hill, then here come blue lights. The truck was wrecked in the driver's side and the door wouldn't open, so when the cop got out after I finally stopped (I didn't want to stop haha), dad just got out the passenger side and asked what the problem was. He said "Hell, when y'all went by, I couldn't tell anybody was driving that truck!" This is funny, I would tilt the wheel all the way up and look between it and the top of the dash to see to drive. We did this frequently, but those were the good ole days. I got pulled over probably 3 or 4 times underage driving, sometimes by myself, as dad would let me drive to the store and such since we lived right close to town. molaugh

TacomaJD said:
And what's this new **** about having to drive so many hours with a parent in the vehicle or something before you can get your license now?

I had to do that and got all my hours in the first weekend I had my temps because mom made me drive us all the way to New Jersey and back.

Re: Re: What car did you take your license test with?

onepieceatatime said:
I had to do that and got all my hours in the first weekend I had my temps because mom made me drive us all the way to New Jersey and back.
Alabama must have adopted that policy recently, bc I did not have to go through that.

tallnate said:
Just curious Perry, what unique identifier did you see to be able to identify it as your old car. I have no doubt I could identify my first ride if I found it in a junkyard.
I did a serious hack job on it when I was 18 by installing a 4 speed with an inline shifter. I had to cut part of the transmission tunnel out and rig Chevelle clutch linkage to work with the different frame. The bracket stick welded birds nest style to the frame with a castle nut as a spacer was the first giveaway. Traded the car and $750 boot for a nice 1968 SS396 Chevelle.

78 Trans Am bandit edition. My Dad bought it new and I wanted it since 4th grade. lot of good memories in that old car. senior year I rebuilt the engine; high compression, super duty heads, big cam, high rise and a big commode of a holley on top, turbo 400 and 3.90 rear gear weldered up. cherry bombs bolted straight to the headers for exhaust. loud as hell and im sure sounded like hell, but sounded great to a 17 year old kid. Didn't know about subframe connectors, so ended up twisting the unibody so bad the windshield leaked and the T-tops wouldn't latch properly anymore. pulled a body mount thru the front subframe on passenger side. Baddest thing in the ole high school parking lot though. I am sure if I found it in a junkyard I could identify it by all the :JRich:rigging I did on that thing. Glad I survived that unit but it sure taught me how to drive.

TacomaJD said:
Nice lol. First time I ever got pulled over was at 11 years old. Dad was letting me drive a 5 speed 4 cyl old model S-10 on a back road and we came up on a cop who had a car pulled over. I slowed down, went around them, got over the hill, then here come blue lights. The truck was wrecked in the driver's side and the door wouldn't open, so when the cop got out after I finally stopped (I didn't want to stop haha), dad just got out the passenger side and asked what the problem was. He said "Hell, when y'all went by, I couldn't tell anybody was driving that truck!" This is funny, I would tilt the wheel all the way up and look between it and the top of the dash to see to drive. We did this frequently, but those were the good ole days. I got pulled over probably 3 or 4 times underage driving, sometimes by myself, as dad would let me drive to the store and such since we lived right close to town. molaugh

Dad had a wholesale car lot and would buy cars at the auction and I would drive them back to the lot at 14 and 15. We would get in a line and my rules were to follow the line and go through every light the car in front of me did and dad would be right behind me. Drove a corvette home from Nashville auto auction about three days after I got my real license. There was a farmer in Ashland me and his 10 year old would drive a car full of Mexicans to and from the sod field or to the sprayer and drive back. Saw it a number of times. They gave zero......

Took mine in a '91 sedan deville. It was grandma's old car, made 4 turns and parked on the curb.

I had 78 Ford truck and seat belts didn't work, instructor wouldn't let me use it (back in the day when use of seat belts were optional) I was Jonesing bad for my license that day so we called my cousin that lived in town and used her 1984 Plymouth Horizion (not such a cool car for a gearhead guy). You could hear a cooler with ice sloshing in back, instructor cracked a joke but I didn't till later it was actually beer in it... :****: