• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What causes this.

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
I pulled my diff last night and found 2 bolts missing from my ring gear and all the other bolts were not even finger tight. So what causes the ring gear to come loose?

I pulled my diff last night and found 2 bolts missing from my ring gear and all the other bolts were not even finger tight. So what causes the ring gear to come loose?

Lockers, big tires, stress on all the parts from wheeling in general. Locktight or saftey wire the bolts.

also heat.

I've seen bolts that were installed when it was super cold out, be finger tight once everything came up to operating temperature. Especially true when dealing with mis-matched metals with different expansion rates.

not torqued properly could also be the cause...and Use locktite on the r.g. bolts...and bearing caps as choppy mentioned.

And clean everything thoroughly. Locktite doesn't work when the bolt threads are oily, or the ring gear threads are lubed.

Yes! Loctite reacts best with bare metal. It does do some good even on surfaces with a finish or oily surfaces, but those both inhibit covalent bonding, interfering with the chemistery loctite depends on.

A few years ago Genuine Gear had an issue with ring gear bolts being slightly undersized. The result was just as Joop described.

A few years ago Genuine Gear had an issue with ring gear bolts being slightly undersized. The result was just as Joop described.

Was it the bolts being undersized, or were the threads in the r.g. itself slightly oversized... I would find it hard to believe that just Genuine's rg bolts were having an issue if it were the bolts...

Was it the bolts being undersized, or were the threads in the r.g. itself slightly oversized... I would find it hard to believe that just Genuine's rg bolts were having an issue if it were the bolts...
That's what I remember. Imported crap.

what causes it ???

Improper installation,

No lock tight ? Improper torque, incorrect bolts ,

so Lock tight, serrated edges on the bolt heads, correct and even torque,.

And the don't come loose

Just don't,

Whatever Monkey put it together, didn't do it right,,

That is the cause ,, and if was you Jooper, shame on you !!

but now. Ya know,, SOHK !!!

Doe's you drank the pinecone-party likker? I does:redneck:

what causes it ???

Improper installation,

No lock tight ? Improper torque, incorrect bolts ,

so Lock tight, serrated edges on the bolt heads, correct and even torque,.

And the don't come loose

Just don't,

Whatever Monkey put it together, didn't do it right,,

That is the cause ,, and if was you Jooper, shame on you !!

but now. Ya know,, SOHK !!!

Bullshit!!

Everything has to be clean. one spec of dirt will fubar you worse than any one of what has been mentioned

Nope

No Bullshit, Bolts only come loose in Wheeler piles, From ???,

Dont come loose on Factory Rigs,,,

Seen a lot of stuff, but never loosed up bolts on Ring gears,

NEVER

I call Bull **** on you Binder !!!!!

Quit it, This isn't your thread.

Nope

No Bullshit, Bolts only come loose in Wheeler piles, From ???,

Dont come loose on Factory Rigs,,,

Seen a lot of stuff, but never loosed up bolts on Ring gears,

NEVER

I call Bull **** on you Binder !!!!!

Rare, yes, but saying never is ignorant. I've sent two trucks (One Chev, one Dodge) still under warranty to the dealer for loose in the last 3 or 4 years.