• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What causes this.

Nope

No Bullshit, Bolts only come loose in Wheeler piles, From ???,

Dont come loose on Factory Rigs,,,

Seen a lot of stuff, but never loosed up bolts on Ring gears,

NEVER

I call Bull **** on you Binder !!!!!

First you would have to buy a clue and you don't have that much money!
This isn't a factory rig issue/ discussion so take that one with you on your way out. Seen plenty of them come loose on wheelers because they weren't designed to stand up to the use.
You haven't seen it because you haven't been around long enough.:fawkdancesmiley:
Nobody has enough money to buy you a clue Frank!

I pulled my diff last night and found 2 bolts missing from my ring gear and all the other bolts were not even finger tight. So what causes the ring gear to come loose?

I could go into details but don't feel like typing a novel.

ARP makes ring gear bolts that are pre-dilled, buy them, install them, torque them, and then wire-tie them.

Problem solved, it will never happen again.

Safety_Wired_2.jpg

I had this happen to my ring gear after the diff guy at Clyde Revord told me not to worry about putting lock tight on the RG bolts.6 months later I thought it was my locker clicking so I tore it apart....all the bolts were loose :wtf:

I'm not exactly sure what causes it. Shock load or housing flex maybe?

It happened to me once, so now I use a welder and tack weld all my RG bolts onto the carrier. Last time I dissembled my D30 due to ring gear failure I found 2 or 3 of the tack welds had cracked. They were still holding but they definitely had cracks running right through the middle of the welds.

I lock wire 2 piece lockers together because it's easier to drill the hex head cap screws that so many lockers are assembled with.

Live and learn.... and lockwire. :awesomework:

Clean the threads to bare metal. use loctite primer, on both thread surfaces. locktite on the male thread and let dry 24 hours before puting in oil.

most people dont use primer and dont wait 24 hours and those are the two most critical steps.. lockwire works great and i am not a big fan of the cheap fasteners that come in the install kits either. old school OEM are way better that the junk that come in the kits.:redneck: