• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What kit for th350

87_bigbadzuk

Have a buddy that is switching from a th400 to a th350 and he wants to know what is the best rebuild kit and mods to make it live. 44 inch tires and 203/205 doubler in a 4500 pd jeep. What have you ran and what needs upgraded? Mild 454 in front of it!

I used alto red clutches and bands, rollerized it, used the 4L60 center case support and used a welded and hardened input shaft/drum assembly. Has been doing well behind a healthy 6.0 and spinning a 205 with 43s,

Why in the world would he go backwards in a transmission? The reverse bands in the th350 are tiny and weak,and will fail. If it's already in it, I'd build up the 400... output splines are different... the TH400 is a 10x better trans :****:

dynajeep said:
Why in the world would he go backwards in a transmission? The reverse bands in the th350 are tiny and weak,and will fail. If it's already in it, I'd build up the 400... output splines are different... the TH400 is a 10x better trans :****:

hope they're not that bad, mine seems to be holding up quite well for the last several years :dblthumb:

1tfrot said:
hope they're not that bad, mine seems to be holding up quite well for the last several years :dblthumb:

I'm not sure how you've kept yours alive. Although I know you don't abuse your rig. You make sure it's completely stopped going from first to reverse, and no neutral drops. Lol

dynajeep said:
I'm not sure how you've kept yours alive. Although I know you don't abuse your rig. You make sure it's completely stopped going from first to reverse, and no neutral drops. Lol

I'm running a PTC Th350 behind my little small block and it has held up great to my Burger King cruiser style driving, you know, driven only on weekends to church. :rolf:

Re:

I'm kind of surprised my 700 has lasted 5 years behind a 350 with 39s and this with a 6.0 and 43s. I'm not very easy on it either. Maybe it helps that I'm almost always on low with my 241?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dynajeep said:

This^^ If its already there, why go smaller? The th400 is stronger and can be built much stronger than the 350 for the same money. Why not upgrade the 400 if you have it out.

Why all the hate on a TH350?? Less rotating mass = more HP see the LS thread. Besides half of you whiney internets haters coudnt break a damn yugo trans.

If one can hold up to Gregs engine i think we are good.

I love to overkill something as much as the next guy. I think we all (myself included) have gotten into this mind set that cause Bobby Tanner goes from nuetral to 6500 rpm in a milisecond and his trans holds up we need the samething.

It's all personal preference. Design wise, the th400 is stronger and will always be. The power gains to a th350 isn't worth it to me. I'm going for reliability. I also don't want to have 1500$ in a transmission either. They have figured out how to make a 350 live under power. That can't be denied, but it costs.

My side work is transmissions, I see the parts that are in both... not hating just giving out facts. For the street I can keep a 350 together with some decent power. For offroad it's hard to get them right because you are limited on the band size (hard forward and reverses kill them). I've had a conversation with Ed (ptc) about the 350's and he'd say the same. Keep the th400.

kmcminn said:
If one can hold up to Gregs engine i think we are good.

I love to overkill something as much as the next guy. I think we all (myself included) have gotten into this mind set that cause Bobby Tanner goes from nuetral to 6500 rpm in a milisecond and his trans holds up we need the samething.

Bobby has a powerglide, easy to build a glide to hold up. Like I said I don't hate the 350, it's a really good trans... I wouldn't modify my whole buggy to go to a th350 from a 400, but I would modify it to go from a 350 to a 400 though

Mine was a case of "run what you have". I would have prefered a 400 but that was what was in my rig and yes I do have $1500+ in parts to make it live. kmcminn nailed my thought process though.

infamous1 said:
Mine was a case of "run what you have". I would have prefered a 400 but that was what was in my rig and yes I do have $1500+ in parts to make it live. kmcminn nailed my thought process though.

I wish i could call Ed and have him build me pg. I simply cant afford it though.

Aj how much does it cost in parts to build a Tanner Proof pg? No labor?

Just curiosity, but why a glide? They are geared pretty steep. I wouldn't think it would be good for trail riding as much as racing. Am I correct in my thinking? Honestly, a 4l80 would be awesome for riding just because of the gear selections. More gears is more better, right? As long as they will hold up.

dynajeep said:
Bobby has a powerglide, easy to build a glide to hold up. Like I said I don't hate the 350, it's a really good trans... I wouldn't modify my whole buggy to go to a th350 from a 400, but I would modify it to go from a 350 to a 400 though

My point exactly Aj, a well built TH350 can stand some big thumpin horsepower and abuse, but WHY modify the whole undercarriage to go to a different transmission? Driveshaft lengths will change, adaptors, crossmembers, fluid lines and maybe even shifter cables. I'd rebuild what you got and save money in the end. Purely my opinion :dunno:

pholmann said:
Just curiosity, but why a glide? They are geared pretty steep. I wouldn't think it would be good for trail riding as much as racing. Am I correct in my thinking? Honestly, a 4l80 would be awesome for riding just because of the gear selections. More gears is more better, right? As long as they will hold up.
In nearly the same space, put the 6l80 in. LOW first, nice OD. They are apparently fairly tough as well.

Latest posts