• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what master cylinder?

OldGreen

What master should I use with manual brakes and chevy half ton calipers all the way around?

OldGreen said:
What master should I use with manual brakes and chevy half ton calipers all the way around?

why'd you go 'manual' instead of 'boost'?
Mine has 79 vette (disc/disc) vacume boost with a V8 and automatic. Lost the motor (oil pan) at the top of funny rocks and coasted all the way down the mountain. Had plenty of brake peddle to slow myself down, never felt 'scary' even without the motor running. But with the big tires, the boost sure is nice.

T

'78 Mercury Grand Marquis if you want 1 1/8" bore and passenger side fittings. The corvette one quoted above if you want driver side fittings, and the corvette one comes in either 1" or 1 1/8" bore.

TreeClimber said:
why'd you go 'manual' instead of 'boost'?
Mine has 79 vette (disc/disc) vacume boost with a V8 and automatic. Lost the motor (oil pan) at the top of funny rocks and coasted all the way down the mountain. Had plenty of brake peddle to slow myself down, never felt 'scary' even without the motor running. But with the big tires, the boost sure is nice.

T

I'd have to re-arrange my clutch master setup if I use a booster. Never had any trouble with the manual brakes up to now. . .it ain't broke. . .LOL

I don't know if it's any different from the '71, but I used a '75 Vette master (you have to specify non-boosted to the parts drone). Pretty cheap and works well. No residual valves to worry about and the proportioning actually came out really close on my FJ40 with chevy 1/2 ton calipers in the rear and Toy truck calipers in the front - at least on dry pavement. I still have a proportioning valve inline for the rears that I need to adjust a bit since the roads have gotten wet. :redneck:

With as well as it works, I don't plan on needing power brakes until my tires get WAY bigger.