• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What oil?

megatoy66

Getting ready to do the first oil change in the dodge since I picked it up, what oil do you guys recommend? additive? filter?
It's a 2005 cummins. I also need a good air filter.

15w40 full synthenic AMS oil. Wix filters are good. And make sure you get the filter real tight or it could rattle lose...I have the hook up on oil let me know

Make sure you get a cummins approved filter.. Wix is one, or you can grab a fleet guard from the powershop or Cummins NW.

I always ran Delo 15/40. But now that Mobil offers 15/40. I'll be switching to that with the new motor..

15w40 full synthenic AMS oil. Wix filters are good. And make sure you get the filter real tight or it could rattle lose...I have the hook up on oil let me know

How much can you get the oil and filter for me.

Make sure you get a cummins approved filter.. Wix is one, or you can grab a fleet guard from the powershop or Cummins NW.

I always ran Delo 15/40. But now that Mobil offers 15/40. I'll be switching to that with the new motor..

Wanta try some AMS Jeff. I have a sponser. I get some realy good deals.:awesomework:

Wanta try some AMS Jeff. I have a sponser. I get some realy good deals.:awesomework:

I might... I ran it in my diffs, tcase and tranny (engine leaked too much at the time :rolleyes:) 140+ bucks though..

So you work at the Midas in Bonney Lake right? I think I'm just starting to put all of these vehicles and people together.....

I might... I ran it in my diffs, tcase and tranny (engine leaked too much at the time :rolleyes:) 140+ bucks though..

So you work at the Midas in Bonney Lake right? I think I'm just starting to put all of these vehicles and people together.....

Did moons ago work in Maple Valley right now and have a shop in Orting:awesomework:

Did moons ago work in Maple Valley right now and have a shop in Orting:awesomework:

Was that purple Dodge yours? If so I'm guessing you know where I live.. I know where your shop is. Kinda hard to miss if you ever go to Orting.

Never done much on the smaller cummins, but on big truck cummins, we used to run delo at the shop I worked at. We then switched to a sythetic, it cost a little more, but we got 2-3 times the oil change intervals out of it. And we always used the Fleet guard filters.

Definitely a Full Synthetic. And Wix are good. Just dont ever buy a fram. Their crap quality, and they dont stand behind their product at all.
I ruptured the internals of a Tough Guard filter on a brand new motor. Fram didnt give a ****. Shouldnt a filter named Tough Guard be tough?

Never done much on the smaller cummins, but on big truck cummins, we used to run delo at the shop I worked at. We then switched to a sythetic, it cost a little more, but we got 2-3 times the oil change intervals out of it. And we always used the Fleet guard filters.

IMO I'd rather run delo or a cheaper oil and change it more often. I don't buy into that sythetic longer oil change interval ****

IMO I'd rather run delo or a cheaper oil and change it more often. I don't buy into that sythetic longer oil change interval ****

Well obviously have never looked into synthetic oil, or you would know better.
There are lots of studies and facts from unbiased researchers. Not funded by oil company's. And actually looking for the most performance and durability.
If you look into synthetics the good points are so much better theres no reason to ever run mineral based oils. Except to break in a new engine.
Your answer is typical of someone who is to cheap to use it.
The correct way to tell if your oil needs changed is to send a sample in for PPM test. Then you know how dirty it is.

Last edited:
yea synthetic oil is the way to go. cleaner. last longer. man made. helps with fuel economy. longer oil change intervals. o and its the same as basic oil if you thinkg bout it and break it down. for a normal car reg oil change is bout 30 buck. well you can go 3,000 miles on a basic oil. synthetic can go 5,000. and its 50 bucks. so its the same price. based on prices at my work.