• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What paint/ coating for new enclosed trailer?

Turtle Bite

Hey all,

I just bought a brand new 8.5'x24 enclosed trailer to haul my wheeler and other toys. The trailer has 3/4" plywood floors with 3/8" plywood walls. While the floors are nice and oil free I want to put some type of heavy duty oil resistant paint or coating down. I have been looking at home depot and have not found anything that looks that durable yet. I will be sleeping in this thing so it needs to be relatively odor free after it dries.

Any ideas?

We just have regular paint with a mix-in traction aid in our trailer, has held up to gas well, my bike doesn't leak oil so I couldn't tell you about actual oil resistance.

I did the spray in bed liner on the floor and three feet up the walls, like what goes in the bed of a truck. Made it nice to hose out the inside.

Boiled Linseed Oil for the walls as a "sealer" (BLO will harden, the non-boiled stuff won't harden). It's a tried and true way to "seal" wood other than paint/varnish. It's also easy to re-apply from dings.

For the floor, you're looking at a "paint", and probably want it to be oil based. Most "gas off" pretty soon, some not so much.

BTW, a "sealer" will penetrate and harden to seal the wood. A "paint" will/can adhere, but does little to seal the wood.

IMO, cured BLO on raw wood seals it ... apply a "paint" surface if desired for color/traction. The "paint" will be what wears and gets most of the yearly touchup.

Google about "Boiled Linseed Oil" and wood finishing ...

roll out some vinyl flooring.

I almost ordered the trailer with it, but for the ~$500 it just wasnt worth it for me. I have also been told gas yellows it pretty readily and I will be fueling up inside the trailer.

We just have regular paint with a mix-in traction aid in our trailer, has held up to gas well, my bike doesn't leak oil so I couldn't tell you about actual oil resistance.

Honestly this is the way I am leaning right now, just some $35/ gal grey EXT paint.

I did the spray in bed liner on the floor and three feet up the walls, like what goes in the bed of a truck. Made it nice to hose out the inside.

I had thought that would have been way to expensive, but seeing that a high end paint is $.90 a sqare foot I may be able to do the floor reasonably.

Boiled Linseed Oil for the walls as a "sealer" (BLO will harden, the non-boiled stuff won't harden). It's a tried and true way to "seal" wood other than paint/varnish. It's also easy to re-apply from dings.

For the floor, you're looking at a "paint", and probably want it to be oil based. Most "gas off" pretty soon, some not so much.

BTW, a "sealer" will penetrate and harden to seal the wood. A "paint" will/can adhere, but does little to seal the wood.

IMO, cured BLO on raw wood seals it ... apply a "paint" surface if desired for color/traction. The "paint" will be what wears and gets most of the yearly touchup.

Google about "Boiled Linseed Oil" and wood finishing ...

Valid points. Looks like BLO wood be the cheapest affective way to really seal the wood, I just dont really like the appearance of it and I worry about it being slippery on the floor.

DANG $100/ per gallon and I would probably need 3 gallons, plus primer. If I only had to do it once it would be worth it, but it is tough to get over that sticker shock.