• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to charge on a haul.

semperfi1919

Hey guys. Just wanted to get an estimate on what would be a decent price to charge to go and pick up a humvee. I was asked to go pick it up and bring it back home and service it and get it road worthy. I'm just looking for an idea on what to charge for the haul. It will be a 660 mile round trip. I want this to be a repeat customer and want to get a good idea on the rate. Also I will have an empty trailer heading to Deridder Louisiana from Philadelphia Ms this Thursday if anyone needs anything carried that way. Thanks for the input.

I've paid as low as $2 and almost $3 when diesel was over $4.50 a gallon. Depends on how good a deal you wanna cut him.

Also be aware that you are required by law to carry $1m liability and run dot numbers..

Anything happens and it could cost you big time

when I sold my buggy the buyer arranged shipping and it was only like 400 from St. Louis MO to near Houston TX

pretty sure those shippers had return loads lined up already too

He got his EUC Approval, and Item Release form yet? What day was his auction?

When they issue that Item Release, you will have roughly 8 days to go get it (the date will be listed in BOLD about 3/4 down the page buried under "Buyers Responsibilities"), before fees and relocation at your expense kick in. So these loading companies (tow truck companies) that have the local contracts to load out and what not all the de-mil ****, get excited and just start tacking it on after that date.

In Deridder they only load out on Mondays and Tuesdays. And they are odd hours, like Monday morning, and Tuesday afternoon. So depending on what day you get notified, you may have to be ready to haul ass the next day, or wait a week, know what I mean? Iron Planet will give you a # for John Kyles, that aint the dude apparently, he'll tell you to call Eric Something I got both their numbers if you need them. I can message them on PM.

And plan on some time there on load out. They will say they have it at Harmons Auto & Towing 2777 Hwy 171 South, there in Deridder. But that aint the truth, they have them stashed all over. I had to drive to meet the clown Eric at Harmons, then turn around and follow him 40 minutes back west to a field in BFE. And they wont allow you to load them, unless you go park out on the highway or road, which who wants to loadout on a shoulder? Homeboy hit my trailer at 20, didnt even attempt to drive over a fender, just hammered that **** between my fenders until I thought the CV's were going to pop. All I could do was shake my head.

Just all FYI with my experience in Deridder. Good luck, sorry i dont have mileage advice.

Saw you said Thursday. Have you talked to those guys in Deridder??? I had planned a Friday run to get one from there, and they said Monday/Tuesday only.

semperfi1919 said:
That's what I was thinking of asking was around 75 cents a mile.
that is a normal rate for a ten car hauler ,moving a Hummer is worth more than .75 cents. But good luck ether way.

Ya gotta figure in wear and tear and cost of fuel, I take it your using your own pick up and trailer, if you get a flat you almost lose ur profit, I'd stay at a buck a mile
b0b883e6b6571557edf018a33ae83aee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea his auction ended back in Sept. He has all the paperwork. According to the paperwork they load out on Monday and Tuesday at FT Polk and Wednesday and Thursday at the Deridder site. I will be headed out from work tonight to drive there for the morning pickup. Luckily I have family members in Annacoco if something happens. Thanks for all the info. I hope it goes easy but it never does..lol.

I'm no expert on this but when i've talked to people about hauling a car or something, a lot of it is by the LOADED mile.. So if you have to dead head empty somewhere to pick up something, your not making money with nothing on the trailer. These big companies have trucks loaded already going to unload in the general area where you need something picked up, so they are making money there and back or at least have very minimum travel with an empty trailer, Thats how they make the bucks, always stay loaded. I could be way wrong on this maybe someone can chime in, but thats the reason "i thought" it would be hard to make money hauling cars unless you had an expert broker arranging load after load...

Crhall said:
I'm no expert on this but when i've talked to people about hauling a car or something, a lot of it is by the LOADED mile.. So if you have to dead head empty somewhere to pick up something, your not making money with nothing on the trailer. These big companies have trucks loaded already going to unload in the general area where you need something picked up, so they are making money there and back or at least have very minimum travel with an empty trailer, Thats how they make the bucks, always stay loaded. I could be way wrong on this maybe someone can chime in, but thats the reason "i thought" it would be hard to make money hauling cars unless you had an expert broker arranging load after load...

You are 100% correct sir. I hauled cars for 6 years and the only way you can make money running empty is if the load you're going to get pays double what a normal load would pay.

MoparMan said:
You are 100% correct sir. I hauled cars for 6 years and the only way you can make money running empty is if the load you're going to get pays double what a normal load would pay.
ding ding,winner winner chicken dinner. .75 cent per mile and my truck will set at home and eat grass for that.

RockHales said:
ding ding,winner winner chicken dinner. .75 cent per mile and my truck will set at home and eat grass for that.

Yep, cause it'll end up costing you money to run at that price. Especially if you have a blowout or worse.