• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to do about a trail at Walker.

First off, the trail's not finished....work to finish it will be this summer.
As for the current issue, a temp solution has been brought up, and will be looked at in the very near future...what isn't an option is just leaving the swale open to run....

Has anyone suggested closing it till it's finished? It would annoy the crap out of me if people started using something I was in the middle of working on.

As Kevin has stated the trail is not finished yet but that does not take care of the problem at hand.

As for just closing the trail that IMO would suck as that section adds a bunch of other trail and knocks out some road hopping. But it might be a good option though.

The big issue I can see is the fact the draw if continued to be used will have some adverse affects (increased water flow) that could cause greater issues down the road for us..

Now the hard question how to close that bypass.

We have discussed many options and IMO leaving it open with continued use is a bad idea.

The hard part we will face is limited funds--the volunteer force to do the work is there waiting.

If I was able to do what I wanted here is what I would do. Take logs and build a blockade using footings (We did this on cable trail and they held up, but you basicly take a chunk of lug with a V in it as the footing and then the log is placed on that with a V also and then cabled together). Once thats done then take T bars (maybe 4) and put them in front of the blackade--use chicken wire and that orange border stuff over the chicken wire. Then of course signs. Something of this nature is relatively cheap and gets noticed as "closed". Then if funds are there you lay a ditch in front of it.

But thats how I would do it..

As for just closing the trail that IMO would suck as that section adds a bunch of other trail and knocks out some road hopping. But it might be a good option though.

Interesting, I dont think that specific point was discussed in the other thread. The way you describe it is that this trail is high use for everyone and provides critical access to other trails. Could part of the long term solution be another trail providing additional access to the same area. One could be closed for maintanence while the other stays open and provides access.

Interesting, I dont think that specific point was discussed in the other thread. The way you describe it is that this trail is high use for everyone and provides critical access to other trails. Could part of the long term solution be another trail providing additional access to the same area. One could be closed for maintanence while the other stays open and provides access.

You can still access other trails--just not the old jeep cross that this trail lets you access it. Takes pounding roads out of it....

Honestly the answer is simple, everyone stay on the trail. It's implementing it that seems to be the problem.
At this point if I were the land manager I would just close it and if the trail closure weren

Lol.

There is no discussion about what needs to happen. The solution has been surveyed, figured out, and when the snow clears those involved will impliment it.

But if you guys want to keep spouting on in true web-wheelin' format, by all means. Won't really change what happens though :;

Lol.

There is no discussion about what needs to happen. The solution has been surveyed, figured out, and when the snow clears those involved will impliment it.

But if you guys want to keep spouting on in true web-wheelin' format, by all means. Won't really change what happens though :;

It's not your place to tell us what to discuss.:;
So, your solution. Has it been approved by the DNR? If yes by all means please share.:corn:
Some of us have a plan for the trail when the snow clears and it would be nice if your "solution" didn't conflict with the plan.

Lol.

It's not your place to tell us what to discuss.:;
So, your solution. Has it been approved by the DNR? If yes by all means please share.:corn:
Some of us have a plan for the trail when the snow clears and it would be nice if your "solution" didn't conflict with the plan.
This....Jakob, I truely hope you are doing this legit, and getting Elyse involved......You are not returning my calls, be a man and pick up the phone....

Lol.

If you truely want to be a leader then I suggest you drop the big head bullshit and listen to what others say and take that input in a positive manner.

Sitting on your soapbox and yellingThere is no discussion about what needs to happen is so productive,,,

hahaha.

Elyse does know whats up, and we think we have a solution....

I've found that talking about said solutions and discussing them on this board really don't do anything other than bring about people bitching and moaning... I haven't heard any constructive solutions offered up by anyone. If you have a trail route idea, or can come help. Thats constructive. Everything else isn't.

In fact, its actually causing harm to Walker Valley. The more people discuss and talk about it being bad, and closing down, etc, etc gets the eye of DNR. This issue is nothing more than a minor trail tweak that two jeeps, with a winch, a shovel, and a chainsaw.

There are worse bypasses at Walker Valley right now than this one. But since eveyone has been talking about this one, we've had to redirect efforts to get this fixed first.

I take back everything I've ever said about community building of trails. F'k that. Keep it within a close community of friends, and thats it. All this talk online is not good...

"F'k that. Keep it within a close community of friends, and thats it. All this talk online is not good..." - J-Perry

Amen, brotha!

The hard part we will face is limited funds--the volunteer force to do the work is there waiting.

So what would something like this cost ??? Roughly.....And if one had the funds today would DNR allow this to be done or would it be something that would take forever to get approved.....

hahaha.

I've found that talking about said solutions and discussing them on this board really don't do anything other than bring about people bitching and moaning... I haven't heard any constructive solutions offered up by anyone. If you have a trail route idea, or can come help. Thats constructive. Everything else isn't.

In fact, its actually causing harm to Walker Valley. The more people discuss and talk about it being bad, and closing down, etc, etc gets the eye of DNR. This issue is nothing more than a minor trail tweak that two jeeps, with a winch, a shovel, and a chainsaw.

There are worse bypasses at Walker Valley right now than this one. But since eveyone has been talking about this one, we've had to redirect efforts to get this fixed first.

I take back everything I've ever said about community building of trails. F'k that. Keep it within a close community of friends, and thats it. All this talk online is not good...
Jakob you hit the nail on head. I love it.:awesomework:

There's a difference between dispersed recreation trail building and trail building/ maintenance inside an ORV park. Dispersed recreation must be discreet while inside the park must follow protocol.
If you just take it upon yourself to do things with no approval and nobody knows what's going on then your wasting your time because organized efforts will just undo what you built. At that point you're just working against the greater good and efforts of your fellow wheelers.

hahaha.

Jacob haven't you yourself said you have gone out and brought everything that needs fixed to the attention of the DNR?

So whats the plan for fixing it?

So what would something like this cost ??? Roughly.....And if one had the funds today would DNR allow this to be done or would it be something that would take forever to get approved.....
This trail has been funded soley by donations from the users...to which I have to send out a huge thank you. This trail is what sparked the "Walker Donations" thread...
So far to get the trail where it is today, cost roughly $850...all paid for from user donations...a rough figure to finish the trail, materials/equipment rental will be roughly $2,500 (could be less if equipment donations come thru)...of which we have over $800 saved up.... again from user donations!
Work to finish it will likely start in early May (possibly April, weather permitting to get the heavy equipment up the trail without tearing the heck out of it....)

Last year they had a butt load of that stuff (t-bars, chicken wire and orange stuff).