• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what to do???

I wouldn't run stickies on it in it's current setup, but that's just me. Chad (zukimaster) went from 36 tsl's on his Samurai with built Toyota axles and beating the absolute dog **** out of it never breaking, to 37" red labels and could look at a rock wrong and it would break. I remember very few times him going wheeling and not coming home with something broke after he switched to reds. Now what's he doing, going to tons and building a whole new rig haha.

Now a set of regular TSL's that are brand new will suprise you how good they will grip things but still give enough to not be so unrelenting as a set of Reds. When Cole Blake used to wheel with us at Iron Gap, I remember him showing up one day with a brand new set of 38.5 TSL's on his Toyota crawler on leaf springs. I was amazed at how well they gripped on those rock ledges in the creek beds. Regular TSL's are a good happy medium tire, decent grip and easier on parts than Reds.

Go with tons! Go with a lower geared t case! Go with new tires! Sell it and buy a buggy! molaugh

Realistically there is no cheap solution to your problem, thus the name of the game and what I don't miss about the sport. I finally had my last crawler pretty solid before I sold it but little stuff still tore up on it here and there like a clutch master cylinder and other random ****. I won't get back into wheeling until I can afford a rig that is virtually bullet proofed from bumper to bumper.

If you wanted to set a goal for your current rig, you need: tons, stretch it, bigger tires, better transfer case setup to allow lower gear (atlas, doubler, etc - not real sure of the t-case options for Jeeps), and you would be set. You could put just tons under it now but it would still suck balls trying to crawl obstacles with a stock t case. There is no one fix-all for your problem, if there was it still wouldn't be cheap haha. Good luck!

Re: what to do?

Jim Howell just posted a brand new, never ran set of axelteks on fb for $3800. Just saying.

jeeptj99 said:
Broke 3 rcv's a grizzly locker, t case, 8.8 pinion. Running 5:13 gears in the axles stock t case and a ax15 trans so pretty much stock there. An atlas would be sweet for crawling. I always try to do bolt check every other ride and grease my rcv's once ever 3 months. I could probably do more but I don't slouch on maintenance.
Is the axle bent? I have watched a few people beat the hell out of a hp44 with RCV's with no trouble. Screamn56 was not easy on his YJ and never had a problem.

I wonder about the housing as well. You've seen my junk, 38s on a hp44 with what I'm told are chromos. I break u joints from time to time but it's held it's own fairly well. I'd love to throw rcvs in it or better yet a 60 to match the rear but alas I'm poor.

TacomaJD said:
Where are the RCV's breaking at?

At the snap rings every time. I wonder about my bells being shot maybe. The axle has a slight bend from where we welded all the link mounts and all that to t when we did the axle swap but we straightened it back out to like 1/2 a degree. Would the carrier bearings not show a weird wear or on the race if it was bent enough to bind? And it's been opposite sides popping out on the rcv's. Two shorts and a long side.

Bebop said:
:fish:

I go through Chattown next weekend with a trailer...

Shhh. If it was a kingpin 60 I'd be way more into it than super duty 60's.

Cut as much weight as you off the Jeep....Run what you have....Start collecting everything you need to switch to tons.....Paint your old axles with gloss black paint and ask a ridiculous price for them on some JK form.....Problem solved.

tonybolton said:
I fabricated a diff cover not long ago...you can have it for free if you come get it. Help get your build going :)
Dibs. I owe you a kick in the taint anyways

what to do?

The snap rings are in the center of the splines inside the bird? Correct?

So your inners are pulling out of the birf...?

And the shock load of the axle breaking took out the Grizzly?

Sounds like most of your breakage is axle housing related.

Same **** happens to Toyotas.

You should be blowing the bell apart on those RCVs.

For now
I think I'd probably throw a new set of 33" radial mud tires on it and just wheel it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creepycrawly said:
Sounds like you like to party. It's time for a buggy!

This is just my personal experience, I'd do tons like most all others have said. In no way would I go all out buggy again. It took all the fun out of trail riding to me. They are a blast to drive and beat the sh&t out of, but to me some good ol trail riding with friends and having some challenging obstacles is where it's at! Not slinging mud at anyone who runs a buggy, just to each his own.

I don't know about your area, but for superduty axles can be sourced here locally for $350-$500 a set. Seems you could sell your current axles for atleast enough to get a set of 1 tons under your jeep...even if you have to regear later. www.car-part.com is a good resource for finding axles and engines cheap

TBItoy said:
The snap rings are in the center of the splines inside the bird? Correct?

So your inners are pulling out of the birf...?

And the shock load of the axle breaking took out the Grizzly?

Sounds like most of your breakage is axle housing related.

Same **** happens to Toyotas.

You should be blowing the bell apart on those RCVs.

For now
I think I€™d probably throw a new set of 33€ radial mud tires on it and just wheel it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy fixing to be selling some sticky coopers....