• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What tow vehicle

MihlfeldL2005

Well, I'm in the market for a tow vehicle and would love to hear some opinions on what YOU would be looking at in my situation.

I'm looking for a vehicle that is going to be able to tow two rigs on a 28'-30' trailer. Average vehicle weight is going to be around 4000-4500lbs per rig and I'm thinking the trailer is going to be in the 4500lb range as well from what I've found.

I'll only be towing these to and from the trail, so I'll say that it's really only going to be pulling that kind of weight 10% of the time. The rest of the time it will be my occasional driver, I'll likely use it to go to and from work (only 20 miles each way) and will likely drive it more in the winter than in the summer.

Big things I'm looking for are fuel economy and condition. I've considered looking down south for a truck (I'm in Michigan) and driving down to get it and towing my car back just for something that hasn't seen salt.

budget is somewhere around $30,000 max.

I've been taking a look at one ton trucks, primarily the 3500 Dodge/Chevy's. Not sure if I can get away with a smaller truck though and still have the capabilities? Also, for the limited amount of towing that I'm going to do i'm thinking that SRW is enough?

Looking at purchasing something before the snow fly's but just want to take some time to get educated on what I should be looking for.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

A dually ALWAYS pull better, but is a little harder to resell...

My choices based on powertrain & reliability only :

2004.5-2007 Duramax with an Allison

03 & up 5.9 Cummins with a 6 speed manual, or the

Newest 7.3 Powerstroke you can find

I have an 06 2500 6spd cummins (4.10s) on 37s, smarty jr

I pull my 25ft gooseneck at least once a month, it pulls 2 rigs no problem

If the computer and watch dog are accurate I get around 17 city unloaded if I keep my foot out of it

Towing the big trailer more around 10-12mpg

Absolutely love the truck

I was fortunate enough to find mine with around 90k mi 2yr ago for a touch under $25k

IMO you can't beat the 03-07 5.9 backed by a manual

I have a 12v Cummins but it's kinda rough. If I was going to dd it iwould want one like my dads:
03 5.9 common rail
chipped
turbo off a 6.7 Cummins (gives you exhaust break)
6 speed

He pulled a goose neck with my tj and a xj across Mont Eagle and never down shifted went across the mountain goes down the back side flips a switch and never touches the brake. I was seriously impressed. He got a steal on this truck it was bout to be repoed and the guy basically let him have it for payoff. He gets roughly 18-19 around town and about 15-16 towing if I remember right.

There is no perfect tow vehicle answer out there. All of the trucks seem to have a possible issue of one sort or another. I have had a 04 dodge with the 5.9 /auto and now a 11 dodge with 6.7/auto. I have towed with an 01 Ford with 7.3/auto and a 07 Chevy with 6.6/Auto.

I agree with the other two posters with their recommendations with the exception that I would limit the dodge to 04.5 to 06. These dodge years have the 5.9 with the higher output motor with the CP3 fuel pump. It is a little more reliable than the earlier high pressure pump.

The reality with the any of the trucks is that if you need to tow within the limits of the truck based on what it is hooked to and not just force it to drive like you think you want to drive. They will do it but it puts a hurting on them.

30 racks for a occasional driver? Hmmmm. It it was just gonna be for towing the rigs and not everyday I would go with a dually. Maybe even a 2 WD. 1ton.. Chevy would be first choice.. But at 30k you have many options. Hell anything Ya want really! I mean I HATE to even say this but wouldn't a 7.3 dually 2wd pretty much pull a house down?? It is a ford , but as long as U ain't worried about wat others think I would guess that would be best deal. I'm sure U can find a older dodge cheap as **** too. But if it was me .. Duramax for sure!! No newer than 07. My opinion.

About 2 weeks ago I took Muddinmetals advice and went with a dually. I have not pulled the Jeep with it yet, but I did like you mentioned. I drove my DD Tahoe to pick this truck up and and towed the Tahoe back home. Now, I came from a 7.4L vortec so towing with a Dmax was obviously night and day. I bought an 06 with an Auto. Someone will correct me but I THINK 2006 was the first year for the 6 speed auto and it also has the option to manually shift via the column shifter with (+) and (-) buttons. Again, I could be wrong on what year that was introduced. Mine is a CC Dually FULLY loaded with 120K and I paid well under 30K for it. In my opinion, it's very clean for the year and mileage.

I looked for a truck for quite some time and I can tell you if you are going with a Chevy, you will easily be able to find a vehicle that fits your mileage requirements for what you want to spend.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you buy!

rpf500 said:
About 2 weeks ago I took Muddinmetals advice and went with a dually. I have not pulled the Jeep with it yet, but I did like you mentioned. I drove my DD Tahoe to pick this truck up and and towed the Tahoe back home. Now, I came from a 7.4L vortec so towing with a Dmax was obviously night and day. I bought an 06 with an Auto. Someone will correct me but I THINK 2006 was the first year for the 6 speed auto and it also has the option to manually shift via the column shifter with (+) and (-) buttons. Again, I could be wrong on what year that was introduced. Mine is a CC Dually FULLY loaded with 120K and I paid well under 30K for it. In my opinion, it's very clean for the year and mileage.

I looked for a truck for quite some time and I can tell you if you are going with a Chevy, you will easily be able to find a vehicle that fits your mileage requirements for what you want to spend.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you buy!

You are correct on 06 being first year for 6 speed and the shifter button.

I would looking for 05-07 gm myself.

Re:

Great opinions guys, keep them coming. I've got a friend selling a 2007 bagged 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins that I might have an opportunity to buy. Any opinions on that power train?

Ive had a few different.. I like the dodges...they flat out tow...your budget is the main factor...

I'm currently looking also with about the same money to spend. Let me tell you that 30k doesn't buy anything super nice. The Dodge stuff I have found all has around 100,000 miles and most of the Fords are 70,0000 and up. For 30-35g's it seems like you should be able to buy a decent truck. I guess I have unrealistic expectations.

I would go with a Dodge 04.5-06 for the reasons stated above. I tow with a 7.3 and while they are super reliable they don't put down the power a dodge will and the dodge will get better fuel economy.

Re:

MihlfeldL2005 said:
Great opinions guys, keep them coming. I've got a friend selling a 2007 bagged 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins that I might have an opportunity to buy. Any opinions on that power train?

I have a 2013 6.7 2500 - bone stock except for leveling kit. Zero issues so far, but I only have 40k on the odometer... I still love it.

My opinion it depends on how far you haul if you will only pull 10% of the time. Don't think I would go with a manual or dually if not far. I live I NW Florida so I have to haul a min of 5 hrs to get anywhere and frequently haul hrs farther. Also, I only use my truck when I actually need a truck. With that criteria I went for the best possible towing machine I could get from my knowledge. Limited my search to a 04.5 to 05.5 3500 dually 4x4. This one year time frame you can get the 5.9 HO, nv5600 and floor shift Tcase. I finally found a nice 04.5 and with the smarty jr it is a pulling beast. From FL to KY there isn't a hill it won't easily hold 80mph with 17k and running like a sewing machine with full gauges very happy. Nothing like the safety of pulling with a dually either. However when you unhook it is still a tow machine and not great in the woods or around town. For for my situation it is perfect but might not be in yours depending.

sledneck said:
I'm currently looking also with about the same money to spend. Let me tell you that 30k doesn't buy anything super nice. The Dodge stuff I have found all has around 100,000 miles and most of the Fords are 70,0000 and up. For 30-35g's it seems like you should be able to buy a decent truck. I guess I have unrealistic expectations.

I am not saying miles dont matter nor am I trying to turn this into a "my truck has 400,000 miles on it...but we are talking a used diesel that tows a toy...30k will buy plenty..one should expect a few miles...less than a 100,000 on a used truck that is 10 years old is pretty common.

zukimaster said:
The dodges do pull well, but the truck itself don't hold a candle to a GM, the interior is so junky in a Dodge.

X2 not dissing the dodges because the later 5.9 cummins are awesome motors esp backed up
With a Straight shift. But the interior even if the dodge is leather jus can't compare to gm. Even the room unless you buy a mega cab and ppl are damn proud of those. In my opinion diesels are way over priced right now. I picked up a loaded crew cab 2006 duramax with the lbz and 6speed Allison in it with 135k for 21k and I love it. Makes great power and I would pick it over my old lly any day. Jus my opinion. But the dodge or duramax you can't go wrong.

zukimaster said:
The dodges do pull well, but the truck itself don't hold a candle to a GM, the interior is so junky in a Dodge.

New ones are much better but my Dodge is cheap inside the cab for sure. Luckily it was well taken care of before I got it. I pulled a big aluminum camper/horse trailer back from KY the other week with a 06 Dmax but wasn't impressed with the comfort or how it pulled. Interior was decent but the seat hit wrong on my back for some reason and I don't know if it was the IFS but the trailer told it what to do more than I liked. That is the only Dmax i have pulled heavy for distance with though. My buddy has an 06 F250 I have pulled with quite a few times and it is a very nice truck but needs some air bags when loaded. On a programmer the 6.0 powerstroke is a time Bomb without a Bulletproof kit however. Lots of good trucks out there for different needs and finding that out on the front end is a good idea.

very happy with my 2007 srw duramax lbz. (ccsb)

I use to pull a 32' gn that had a slide-in camper built onto it and a 5300# rig to join it. total weight was about 15k not including my tow rig. there was no reason to have a dually and I was under on all axle weights as well as rear tire weights.

I vote for gm. even the lb7 duramax is a great motor, but some of them have injector issues.

if you can talk my wife into buying a new one, I'll sell ya mine molaugh

I have owned every diesel engine built since 97. I currently have a 2011 super duty with the 6.7 and can honestly say I am in love with this engine. It is a gawd dam racehorse! I have 110k miles on it and have had to do nothing except normal maintenance (fluids and filters). Never had to plug it in, in the winter (cold started it at 13 below with the remote start from inside my house) never had to do anything to it except drive. It has all the emissions BS on it that they all have, and if it ever starts causing problems i will remove it all, but until then it runs great with everything bone stock.

I am 100% sold on the 6.7 powerstroke!