• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what yall think 1tons or rockwells

lay

NOT FOR SALE
Here it is, I'm building a Jimmy's chassis. I had planned on running 47s and steering rockwells. But, it is going to be a bitch, but it can be done.
I'm running a stock tbi 350 with a 350turbo and a 205. If i go with one tons ill have to change axle ratio and only run 42s, remember this is going to be a trail rig only,and only wheeled in the south.
here is the deal on the one tons..
*410s welded front
*spicier joints
*chrome alloy outters
*drive flanges
*high steer arms with tie rods but no double ended ram
*solid diff cover
The rear is a 14 bolt
*disc brakes
*welded
*with link tabs

The question is I am thinking about trading two complete steer rockwells
*they are welded
*they are shaved

What do yall think?

i think if you put a yota engine w/ a leaky manifold gasket then i think it will be fine on tons and 47s... anything else i would go rocks w/ 47s....

What W.B. do you plan on running? Belly height?
I do not think I would run 42" tires on Spicer joints. I would get some 300M joints.
I like 1-tons better than rocks, unless you are running a tire larger than a 44".

If it's just a trail rig I don't think it matters what you do as long as you have enough storage and it's comfortable. I personally would go with tons, but I think your going to want a bigger engine running a 205.

I think this is exactly why you get into drama with all the last rigs.... BUILD WHAT YOU want. either set of axles is a viable option, you need to think more combination of parts and not just this part and that tire ...etc.

IF you do tons... forget a 47 tire...

if you go roc's 47 is ok if you build it as low as feasible suspension wise...(which you should anyway...imo )

You roll the roc under the front yet?

This is exactly the thoughts i had when i was planning my build. Everybody has their preferences and it is up to you!! I personally went with rocks because they better suited my needs and what i wanted to do. if you do go with the 47's and rear steer you should look at upgrading the shafts on the rear steer rockwell. don't think the stock axles will hold with too much abuse. I am also gonna be running 47's and i will probably have to upgrade my front shafts. Both axles have their disadvantages and advantages, just got to pick which one better suits your needs.

Built to the hilt 60's, and I'd still stop at a 44" tire, Built Rockwells for anything over 44's. Packaging them sucks though with that huge top loader sticking up.

Stock Rockwells with that motor will last with the 47's. You might want to put a Lomax kit in the 205 though.
Stock 60 will hate life with the 47's. I would keep the Rockwells and build it around them. It can be done, just might take a little more time.

My set up is 60's with spicer joints and 35 spline yukons - no failyer yet on teh spicers but it only has about 6 rides on it. I would think that 4.10's would be a bit high with a 205, I would want a little lower gearing for the crawling situations.

Also think what Cole said is correct - 47's on tons would be a fuggin grenade. Only problems with the rocks is trying to keep the damn thing from being to tall

Chevy 1/2 ton IFS son!!!!!!!!

or upgrade to the Toyota straight axle bible bangen holla atcher cuzin WERD! thumb.gif

I'm doin 60/14... But the stupid huge rigs are pretty apealing to me as well.. if I lived in Bama would be more likely to consider one. I loved the **** outta the Fireball man that was sweet. You just gotta execute it right to do rockwells... just doo it. You already had Kelly narrow that **** fer ya :woody:

MUCHADO said:
I loved the **** outta the Fireball man that was sweet.

Just wait till you see it in a few weeks. Heard its pretty Bangin and doesn't look anything like it used to.

Thats why I keep telling him to build what HE wants.

I dont like roc's at all personally... let me rephrase that.. I wouldnt build a rig for myself with rocs personally.

Lay loves the roc's so I try not to push pull him in any direction.

If your spending this kinda time and money, Lay YOU need to build what YOU are going to be happy with. Not whats "cool" not whats the most popular setup right now. Because we all know you wont do a build again. thumb.gif

quit being a sheep LAY! Do what P says... do what you wanna do.. build your vision. If you wanna be a cool kid go get a nodular 9" third and have TC build you a RNG (replica nolen grogan) buggy like Wyatt's :flipoff1:

Yeah that SE buggy formula of big and heavy is the ticket. I dont see why you are stopping at 47s though. Rocks and 54'' Boggers will get you way more attention as you burnout 1/2 way up Cable Hill in front of all of your shirtless fans.

wngrog said:
Yeah that SE buggy formula of big and heavy is the ticket. I dont see why you are stopping at 47s though. Rocks and 54'' Boggers will get you way more attention as you burnout 1/2 way up Cable Hill in front of all of your shirtless fans.
Hate x976345 skully

Personally I prefer compact and nimble over huge and topheavy.

Bones said:
Hate x976345 skully

Personally I prefer compact and nimble over huge and topheavy.

I personally prefer a junk ass $300 toyota with junkyard leafs, way too low gearing that sounds like it's gonna blow up rollin on big tars...

IDGAF cause I just wanna be out wheelin. I'm already interweb famous without a working rig :flipoff1:

MUCHADO said:
I personally prefer a junk ass $300 toyota with junkyard leafs, way too low gearing that sounds like it's gonna blow up rollin on big tars...

IDGAF cause I just wanna be out wheelin. I'm already interweb famous without a working rig :flipoff1:

HAHAHAH , I hear that I just want to take my junk out and wheel it. Thats all that matters to me now, I gotz mah buggay