• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats it going to take?

crash said:
Devon---my eyes just melted in my head :;

Bottom line--people need to quit being selfish and have the mindset that somebody else will handle/deal with it..

For instance those of us who have traveled long distances to go wheel. Anybody ever thought what the local users of those areas have gone thru to protect those areas? Probably not....

Some of us do. Some of us are involved in several organizations across the country and are spread pretty thin.

One thing I would add to this discussion is that I agree there needs to be some effective leadership in the existing organizations to make them effective, but many of the current leaders are actually holding back progress. If you belong to an organization already, look at who is making the decisions, and if it doesn't make sense to you what they are doing, find a different organization. It may look good that a club or group has a lot of members, but if they are making stupid decisions or look like fools in public situations, you're doing more harm than good with your involvement.

426rider said:
What I think Its going to take to keep these areas open.

-Great not just good relationships with the Forest service and DNR
-Education-For new wheelers but also as important for those that want to do more but are not sure where to start.
-Strong volunteer base- the things that need to be done for this sport cost too much already and no Org. will be able to pay people.
-Confidence and support in an effective Org. so that it will be attractive to get membership to continue to go up with the increase in popularity in the sport.

Now the question is how do we do that. We have the PNW4WDA that is basically for all 4x4 users in the region. Things are not perfect there and will never be, because an org like this needs constant change. However most of the people there have been there for a while and have the attitude that this is how we have always done it. But we need to change that attitude to "what has been is not what needs to be" because what has been is not getting the job done anymore. Wich is evident in the recent closures and cancellations.

In the PNW there are people that are more focused on racing, but there are also people more focused on running simple trails, there are also some that are focused on running the harder trails. The more we support each others interests the more support you will get in your interests.

Now if I asked the question- How many on this one website want to do more to support this sport? I can bet that most would be raising there hands.

Then ask- If you want to do more, do you know what kind of things need to be done specifically? I see alot less hands going up now.

Then- How many of you that don't know what needs to be done are willing to go out and learn for yourself what really needs to be done? even less hands are going up.

My point is to start we need good, strong leaders. I know there are some of you out there that with a little push will pick up something and run with it.

Leaders can get a following that can help do some of the work and then can start to educate those that want to help but don't know what to do. Attending one or two cleanups a year isn't gonna cut it.

Man that was alot more typing than what I had planned when I started. I hope it sounds ok.:D

Devon, and please remember that I greatly appreciate what your doinig out there and helping educate people on the web. BUT as far as your statement about the leadership of the PNW you dont know WTF your talking about period. I have seen you at a couple of region meetings but have you ever gotten past that and went to a PNW meeting ? If you did you would see that there is a hell of a lot being done every day by the PNW and its members. We dont publish in print or on the web most of what we are doing for good reason. Just look at what happened recently to the webfooters and faithwheelers events. Right now at this very moment we are working on 3 trails that you most likly have never been on and maybe heard of. We keep these things quiet so we dont have to deal with so much oppisition. If anyone really wants to get away from their keyboards for a minute and quit their whining about the sky is falling then come to the washington state meeting in jan. and find out what were DOING or continue wringing your hands and TALKING about what we should be doing. You folks already have a great tool in place to use problem is most of you dont know how to use it:mad:

Sorry, rant mode off and again devon and others that do help I appreciate as do we all. Jim

Jim I wasn't specifying the PNW leadership. Just the attitude of most members that I have seen, some may be leaders. And its not all, but it is strong. We also have some good leaders in the PNW. But there is definately a need for more, when you talk about no competition for officer positions and some that are vacant right now. The PNW4WDA is a good thing, its just not as effective as it could/should be. That doesn't mean the PNW is not doing anything, its doing quite a bit. But events and areas are still being shut down. Honestly I am on your side. And thank you for your help also.

Last edited:
Have you heard of WOHVA (Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance)?

Check out the site at www.WOHVA.org.

This is an alliance of all OHVs including motorcycles, ATVs and 4WDs. The membership includes Clubs and Organizations, OHV related business owners and individual members. Check it out.

Also, I have info on an easy way to have a strong Pro-OHV voice in Olympia called CLOUT. PM me and I'll send you the info. Don't want to put here cuz we want to make sure this resource is for OUR use and not the "greenies".

Latest posts