• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wheelin this weekend?

Just FYI...

The only reason I started this thread was to say Reiter Pit

But know that I think about it, I will probably go wheel this weekend :haha:

When the DNR does something, like rename the trails, I will care less as it is their area to do with as they see fit.

It's not quite the same thing when the RTW and the Mods on this bbs decide to do it, do you agree?

Reiter Pit is no more official than Reiter Trails. And as I said before, RTW did not come up with the name. I heard it in the SnoCo. ORV meetings long before RTW was even a thought in anyone's mind. I don't care if the call it Foothills or Trails or what. Anything sounds better than "Pit" and the negative connotations that label brings.

Hey look! The mindless sheeple PC do-gooders have a leader ^^^^ :rolleyes:

I just love being childish, don't you Mark?

Edit: I do like being childish...I'm serious.

Like Pokey said, call PC if you will. It's not wheelers we're worried about. And yes, I think you have a passion for being childish. At least on the web.

Might as well call it "Walker Valley South" at that point...

Now this is truly something we should be debating about. The name game is stupid IMO and really the "Pit" people don't have a sound argument based on anything other than familiarity. And that doesn't outweigh the negative things associated with a name like "pit."

I understand the reasons for a nice name to clean up the image, positive publicity and public perception. But...
Who cares what it's called, the name insignificant compared to the actual legislation that will allow (or disallow) us to continue to wheel there.

A few years ago I met a group of old timers wheeling at manashtash and when we started talking about trails they got angry when I referred to the trails by the FS #'s 307, 308, etc. They said "these trails have names! We don't acknowledge those stupid numbers."

The name is superficial, let the politicians and media call it what they want.
Many thanks to everyone who works hard to keep trails open for the rest of us to wheel, it's a good thing there are people with more political finesse than myself.

Pat, I agree with you that the name pales in comparison to the bigger issues. But I disagree the name issue is not important. Corporations pay millions of dollars a year to companies that help shape their image. History has proven this successful time and again. While we are not spending money, the net effect is the same. Image is everything to some uninitiated outsider that gets to vote on such matters.

I understand the reasons for a nice name to clean up the image, positive publicity and public perception. But...
Who cares what it's called, the name insignificant compared to the actual legislation that will allow (or disallow) us to continue to wheel there.

A few years ago I met a group of old timers wheeling at manashtash and when we started talking about trails they got angry when I referred to the trails by the FS #'s 307, 308, etc. They said "these trails have names! We don't acknowledge those stupid numbers."

The name is superficial, let the politicians and media call it what they want.
Many thanks to everyone who works hard to keep trails open for the rest of us to wheel, it's a good thing there are people with more political finesse than myself.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Imagine for a moment if you were a legislater(sp) and a bill came before you to fund reiter "pit" or reiter "trails" which would you be more likely to support? Which sounds more attractive? Its trivial at best to us as users but it is important to project a "positive" image and trails just sounds better than pit. We as the users need to put our best foot forward by adopting the best name.

Now this is truly something we should be debating about. The name game is stupid IMO and really the "Pit" people don't have a sound argument based on anything other than familiarity. And that doesn't outweigh the negative things associated with a name like "pit."

Does this mean we have to change:

Barbecue Pit...

The pits...(as in NASCAR, etc...)

Burnout pit...

Olive pits...

Arm pit...

your idea is really...

the pits :haha: :haha:

Last edited:

Ok...I'll go along with Reiter Foothills.

Although, that sounds like a Real Estate development?

Corporations pay millions of dollars a year to companies that help shape their image. History has proven this successful time and again. While we are not spending money, the net effect is the same. Image is everything to some uninitiated outsider that gets to vote on such matters.

If we (user, DNR, etc...) are worried about the impact of the name than consider this:

May Creek ORV

It has nothing to do with Reiter or Pit or Trails, it reflects a naturally occuring terrain feature exactly like Evans Creek and Walker Valley.

The Reiter name and all negativity associated with it would be gone.

On 90210,The Peach Pit was the hang out for all the cool kids soooooooo it must be OK:redneck:

If we (user, DNR, etc...) are worried about the impact of the name than consider this:

May Creek ORV

It has nothing to do with Reiter or Pit or Trails, it reflects a naturally occuring terrain feature exactly like Evans Creek and Walker Valley.

That's a fine solution by me.

May Creek ORV

I'll bet you $20 that half the 50% of the people in this thread will think that is a horrible idea. The other 45% won't even really read the post in its entirety, and the remaining 5% will actually agree with you.

I think that is a great idea. Would like to see what the DNR thinks of it.