• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

When Bunk.......

Brian H

When Bunk tells you something from experience its worth listening to and possibly doing. My tacoma has been only running for 30 seconds at a time and then dies. Havent had time to look it over much. Well today I farted around with it and found that the foam in the fuel cell is coming apart and clogged up my fuel pump and filters. I have a glass filter and it looked clean so I didnt bother to open it up. Replaced the fuel pump....replaced the carb....and ignition module still nothing. Decided to pull the filter apart and sure enough the piece of foam where to big to flow through the tube holes in the filter (where is was clogged is inside the inlet to the filter). Cleaned it out and flushed the tank and lines and it runs good again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this Brian. I had read something about this a while back (might have been JasonC) talking about how the foam would break down and I had been meaning to take the foam out of my fuelcell because of it but forgot. This will be on my list of things to do my next trip home along with running an extension off my pickup (rear sump style fuelcell) so that I dont have starvation issues when going down steep declines or off camber sidehills.

Thanks for posting this Brian. I had read something about this a while back (might have been JasonC) talking about how the foam would break down and I had been meaning to take the foam out of my fuelcell because of it but forgot. This will be on my list of things to do my next trip home along with running an extension off my pickup (rear sump style fuelcell) so that I dont have starvation issues when going down steep declines or off camber sidehills.

Im sure it was bunk that had said something about it on here. I know his cell did the samething to him and clogged his fuel system up pretty bad as well.

How old was the foam? I ran foam in the ftoy for 3 years without issue. I was planning on running it in the new cell, and just planned on having to replace it yearly.

How old was the foam? I ran foam in the ftoy for 3 years without issue. I was planning on running it in the new cell, and just planned on having to replace it yearly.

First time it got fuel was feb this year.

I know it and im pretty sure you know it. If not heres why the 'new' foam breaks down.

The crappy ass gas they sell. If you go race gas or av gas im pretty sure it wont break down the foam.