• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where do you buy hand tools?

Cole1

Im talking about pliers, screwdrivers, dykes.

Do you try and buy American made only? Do you order stuff online or from a store?

Ive been having good luck with German made hand tools over the American made stuff lately and wanted to know where you guys stand. I have been digging my knipex cobra pliers and lineman's and im considering getting there dykes but wanted to get my hands on the tool before shelling out $60 for them.

Im talking about pliers, screwdrivers, dykes.

Do you try and buy American made only? Do you order stuff online or from a store?

Ive been having good luck with German made hand tools over the American made stuff lately and wanted to know where you guys stand. I have been digging my knipex cobra pliers and lineman's and im considering getting there dykes but wanted to get my hands on the tool before shelling out $60 for them.

For the simple tools I have been using Craftsman, Duralast , & Kobalt stuff for years. No issues.

I buy channel lock pliers and dykes. I also pay attention at swap meets, pawn shops etc for old US made vice grips and whatnot. Sometimes a killer deal can be found.

Most my tools are Klein now. I do commercial electrical work so all the tools im looking for are for work. The Knipex Cobra pliers are easier to use then the channel locks and the teeth are still there. Im happy I made the switch a year ago.

Right now im mainly needing to replace my dykes since I was using them outside the last couple months and no matter how much I cleaned them after working they are starting to rust and are a huge pain in the butt to open/close.

Knipex, Nws and Irwin(rebranded Nws) have a double rivet system that is suppose to have 50% more cutting strength but I cant find any on the shelf to check them out.

Love my Knipex!!!! Slowly working on swapping my Klein over to Knipex

Do you use Klein screw drivers? I heard from a buddy that the Wera screw drivers are the bees knees compared to Klein. I need to stop by that little hardware store by the U district again, I think they had the Wera and Wiha screw drivers there.

Do you use Klein screw drivers? I heard from a buddy that the Wera screw drivers are the bees knees compared to Klein. I need to stop by that little hardware store by the U district again, I think they had the Wera and Wiha screw drivers there.

Yes, I've used Klein and Wiha, but not the Wera. I prefer the Wiha over Klein. And I hate the Knipex Cobra. Having to push the button to adjust is annoying. The alligator is much better. Same as the Cobra, just no push button for adjustment.

Most my tools are Klein now. I do commercial electrical work so all the tools im looking for are for work. The Knipex Cobra pliers are easier to use then the channel locks and the teeth are still there. Im happy I made the switch a year ago.

Right now im mainly needing to replace my dykes since I was using them outside the last couple months and no matter how much I cleaned them after working they are starting to rust and are a huge pain in the butt to open/close.

Knipex, Nws and Irwin(rebranded Nws) have a double rivet system that is suppose to have 50% more cutting strength but I cant find any on the shelf to check them out.

I've had good luck with Aerokroll and Triflo to loosen up my dykes and lineman when they get bad from being outside in the weather. It definately takes some time working the handles to get the rust to start working it's way out.

Im hooked on crapsman like its chromium crack rock cause I got hooked early and dont want mixed tools and need to fix.

I think hand tools are superior to power tools and airtools

Snap On, a little Matco and a lot of Craftsman before craftsman went to ****. New Craftsman stuff doesn't live up to the name and I won't spend a dime on it. Gearwrench has come into their own the past few years though and I'm becoming a big fan.

Klein tools.....it's what my parts houses stock. :awesomework:

That's the main reason the majority of my tools are Klein since Platt has good prices and an apprentice discount.

For the price the Wiha or Wera screw driver sets are actually cheaper than Klein and they look comfy but I cant find them locally to get my hands on them. I will have to swing by that Hardwicks place in the U district tomorrow and see if they have them so I can compare.

Hardwicks is a tool guys Shangri-la. If they don't have it they'll find it.

German tools are made of good steel, really can't go wrong. I've got a German fella at work and his tools are SWEET!!

I work primarily with wood but quality is quality!:awesomework:

I like them german pliers, they have knarly teef. They stay sharp too and bite harder the more ya lean on it like a pipe wrench.

I have a bunch of Snap on tools, they are the best, they never break (if you are using them properly, any way). If you are not then they do brake, and you take them to the truck and tell the guy you were using those pliers for a pry bar and they wern't doing the job so you had to put a pipe on the handle to get more leverage and the snap on tool guy says, well let me get you a new pair free of charge. When you use a screw driver as a chisel and it breaks, you take it to the snap on guy and he says, " it looks like this screwdriver has been used as a chisel." You say," ya, that is also my favorite prying took as well." he says, let me get you another one for free. They cost alot more then the other tools but when you use them, you know where your extra money goes.

It depends on what it is an how often I'll be using it. If it's something I would rarely use, I just buy whatever is cheapest, usually HF. The more I'll use it, the more I'll spend. I order quite a bit of stuff from Amazon if I'm look for good quality stuff.

I like hitting yard sales and estate sales to look for older tools.