• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Where the crap did they go?

I could. The original point was just wondering where in the heck the used market is on the built d300's

They're all over here on the west coast.. everyone and their mother is putting them in portal crawlers over here..

I could. The original point was just wondering where in the heck the used market is on the built d300's
In the past year I've bought a 4:1 gears and hd output for my 300. I absolutely love the 4:1 gears. Jb conversions is the way to go for gears and output kit. Although he has increased his prices in the last year after being out of stock for what seemed like forever. Mammoth builds a billet case as well.
966EFF66-841F-4FF8-9CE7-03CACA687D34.jpeg

What in the heck happened to all of the D300, 4:1, flip kit, cable shifter setups go? Pre-atlas's and stak's, it seemed like everyone and their mother ran a fully built d300. Now, I spend more time than I care to admit scouring the interwebs for one to pop up cheap-ish or even for sale at all where someone upgraded to an atlas, hero, scs, etc.. . And for the life of me, I have never seen one. I can find stock d300's all day long for $100-200. But it's like all the modified setups fell off the face of the earth. If you want a toyota or sami setup, I can fill a swimming pool full of them. But, that does me no good at all.

Nobody makes a 231 reduction kit anymore. So other than buying an atlas, what are my t case reduction options? Where's my old school, junkyard wheelers at? Bust out your "back in the day we used to...." stories...

I'm about to pull a 4:1 D300 with HD front and rear outputs and cable shifters from my brother in law's XJ. It will have a brand new front output shaft installed once I remove it.
He decided on a 4 speed Atlas for additional gearing.
If you are interested, let me know. Likely about 2 weeks out

Edit: To be clear. He broke a JB 32 spline front output and I am replacing it. My cell is 828-75 five- 1005. Call or text anytime

Last edited:
Building a d300 from stock hardly makes sense based on cost. By the time you swap gears, rear output, and possibly the front output, you are getting really close to an Atlas.

I managed to grab my case with JB gears and rear output for $700. Added a heavy aluminum cover and I had to swap the input shaft back to 23 spline (came with the parts). I'm considering that fancy aluminum case, but I'll probably only do that if I get some indication my case might be failing. So far so good, and with the power I'm running it'll probably be fine forever.

I still see them every now and then, but they go quick when they are priced reasonably.

That's how I feel about the nwf black box now that the price on it has gone up. $800 for a bare case. $1500 for the black box. And you still have to buy shifters.

Its funny, because its true...I never really thought about it but you're right, I never see them....I will be pulling my built D300 (the elusive Scout 300) out of one of my rigs soon. Part of me thinks I should sell it to recoupe some build costs, but then I start thinking about stashing it under the bench in case I decide to build a lightweight buggy (after I sell my Samurai buggy and realize what a dumb mistake it was):D

Its funny, because its true...I never really thought about it but you're right, I never see them....I will be pulling my built D300 (the elusive Scout 300) out of one of my rigs soon. Part of me thinks I should sell it to recoupe some build costs, but then I start thinking about stashing it under the bench in case I decide to build a lightweight buggy (after I sell my Samurai buggy and realize what a dumb mistake it was):D
Is that the one that can bolt in place of a Dana 20? Got a 76 CJ7 on 33s with a 3 spd and Dana 20 and I've been researching tcase options to get some better gearing out of it.

Is that the one that can bolt in place of a Dana 20? Got a 76 CJ7 on 33s with a 3 spd and Dana 20 and I've been researching tcase options to get some better gearing out of it.

The problem with texas pattern cases is they break and often.. you'd be money ahead buying 3.5, 20 gears so you can get free to next to free replacement cases.. vs the purple unicorn texas 300.. which you'll likely never come across again

In the past year I've bought a 4:1 gears and hd output for my 300. I absolutely love the 4:1 gears. Jb conversions is the way to go for gears and output kit. Although he has increased his prices in the last year after being out of stock for what seemed like forever. Mammoth builds a billet case as well.View attachment 114037
I like those mammoth cases, if they can keep the gearset from deflecting to help keep the middle gear alive, that would be a great case.. i moved on to an atlas by the time he released it. I do love knowing i can bind my car, pop my tires before that tcase gives.