• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which engine 3.8L or 22re?

Worros

My toyota is about all buttoned up cept fer what I'm gonna do to power it. The truck currently has a 22r, I swapped in a w56 and a set of duals behind that. I can get all the stuff to go EFI on my 22r for about $300-$400 which would work. Then I keep on thinking a 3.8 would be better in the long run for the power aspect side of things. I could do that swap for less than $700 if I plan it right and build up my parts cause I can do all the wiring myself which definitely will save me a ton.

The 3.8L would also give the option to run an auto and a D300 which would kick ass. I could sell my engine, tranny, and tcases to recoup a good bit if I went with an auto and a D300..

What should I do here?? :dunno: :dunno:

Re: Re: Which engine 3.8L or 22re?

If you have Toyota axles, I wouldn't put anything with more power than a 22re in front of it....

Worros said:
My toyota is about all buttoned up cept fer what I'm gonna do to power it. The truck currently has a 22r, I swapped in a w56 and a set of duals behind that. I can get all the stuff to go EFI on my 22r for about $300-$400 which would work. Then I keep on thinking a 3.8 would be better in the long run for the power aspect side of things. I could do that swap for less than $700 if I plan it right and build up my parts cause I can do all the wiring myself which definitely will save me a ton.

The 3.8L would also give the option to run an auto and a D300 which would kick ass. I could sell my engine, tranny, and tcases to recoup a good bit if I went with an auto and a D300..

What should I do here?? :dunno: :dunno:
Where you located? I have a harness and intake for a 22r off a 94 toy !

al1tonyota said:
Where you located? I have a harness and intake for a 22r off a 94 toy !

I'm in Cumming, GA. About 35 minutes north of atlanta.. where are you located? Is the harness complete? got a ecu?

TBItoy said:
If you have Toyota axles, I wouldn't put anything with more power than a 22re in front of it....

He speaks the truth.

Keep it light and underpowered and wheel the pee out of it. Light weight and no power is what makes a toyota work. Add either and you'd be better off going with bigger drivetrain all around.

I've broke more stuff in a year of moderately wheeling a 3RZ powered 4runner than the last 5 years of beating on a 22R powered truck. I'm sure it would be much worse with a V6 than my tacoma 4 banger.

:dblthumb:

I speak from experience also, and believe me (and bluetoy/other Nick) we are definitely not Toyota haters.

i put l67 in yota, it hard to get motor back close enough to firewall to have and lenght to front d-shaft, i made a manifold to 180 the mass air,tps **** on top of motor also, if you have front suspension linked and lengthend it would work easy