• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which jerry can?

JThompson

I have been looking online, searching for info on various jerry cans. I get conflicting info. A lot of that has to do with the fact that the manufacturers have had to change their lineups. Looking at Blitz, there are part numbers for pre-CARB cans, and part numbers for the newer CARB-approved cans. I have heard people say that the newer cans are garbage, and others say they are great, but purchase the older-style metal spouts if you don't want to just scream every time you use it. Then, I ran into folks saying the older metal spouts do not work with the newer CARB cans.... Ugh.
I am tired of the conflicting info, and am not the kind of person that takes such a purchase lightly. I am very deliberate, and take forever to settle on anything! I may just need to purchase an (expensive!) military can and mount. And, don't get me started on the mounts...Blitz mounts won't fit other cans, and visa-versa. Gosh.
I would really prefer to stick with a nice, hard-mounted metal jerry can for my extra fuel, but I am growing tired of all the hassle.
Any input would be great.

You are looking at GI cans not jerry cans. GI can's are what blitz sells with the screw on lids and spouts, jerry cans are european and have build in spouts and are FAR superior to anything GI can related in every way. Plus they cost about 3x the money for a used one.

You are looking at GI cans not jerry cans. GI can's are what blitz sells with the screw on lids and spouts, jerry cans are european and have build in spouts and are FAR superior to anything GI can related in every way. Plus they cost about 3x the money for a used one.

Ok. The internet and 4x4 shops I have been to recently all call them jerry cans... So, I thought I would stay uniform with them. I had looked at a website that clarified all of this. Very interesting. So, my question still stands. What FUEL CAN/GAS CARRIER should I be looking at. Any good or bad experiences? Tricks? Sales? Where would one find these superior cans?

I use these

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=nato jerry can&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I mount them on the back spine (instead of the bottom), spout facing up. Don't have any leaks. Even when wheeling, bouncing, high temps, high humidity, etc.

Only problem, is that I have to carry my own spouts, as NATO cans have a unique design.

I got my cans used, from a buddy who's into Unimogs, and brought these over. I've got 6 or 7 cans total. Paid $5 each for 'em. He originally had a couple hundred cans, but has since sold them all.

Last edited:
Hi All:

X2!!

I have a pair of ex-British Army "jerry" cans ("jerry," as in German) that I bought in the mid-1990s from a Land Rover shop. These cans were built in the late 1960s and still work great!

I mount them in the back of my FJ40 laying on their sides, pour spout up. No leaks!

The "Biltz" brand cans suck ass, they seep fuel.

There is newer plastic "jerry" can made by Spectler (or something like that.) These seem pretty popular, but I like the older style metal cans.

Regards,

Alan

I use these

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=nato jerry can&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

I mount them on the back spine (instead of the bottom), spout facing up. Don't have any leaks. Even when wheeling, bouncing, high temps, high humidity, etc.

Only problem, is that I have to carry my own spouts, as NATO cans have a unique design.

I got my cans used, from a buddy who's into Unimogs, and brought these over. I've got 6 or 7 cans total. Paid $5 each for 'em. He originally had a couple hundred cans, but has since sold them all.

There is newer plastic "jerry" can made by Spectler (or something like that.) These seem pretty popular, but I like the older style metal cans.

These the ones?

http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/

Far superior construction as compared to the day-to-day "red" style that they sell to the public.

The military edition is available from a few retail stores. Pricy in comparison, but hey, it ain't the red style.

I run the kind of jerry cans you find at garage sales. never paid more than $2 for one. I have severall kinds form years of garage saling.