• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

which LS oil pump...

zjtrey

so this weekend at gmp my front crankshaft seal started leaking so i'm gonna have to pull the balancer to replace it and i've been wanting to replace the oil pump for a while because the pressure is lower than when i first bought the motor. it idled at 25 when i bought it, now when the oils hot it idles at 15.

there are oe replacment pumps, standard pressure,-high volume and high pressure-high volume. the motor had about 100k on it when i got it about 2 years ago..

first- am I on the right track?

second which pump should i go with?

thanks fellers

the stock oil pump will be fine.. main thing is the rubber o ring on the pickup tube is where most of them start to lose pressure. Ive seen mixed reviews on the high flow pumps

zjtrey said:
wizzo is your motor stock?

yes.

Bumpers said:
the stock oil pump will be fine.. main thing is the rubber o ring on the pickup tube is where most of them start to lose pressure. Ive seen mixed reviews on the high flow pumps

i've seen mixed reviews on the different high pressure pumps also but i saw more good reviews from people that i had faith in with the texas speed setup

I'm leaning toward the melling 10295 oil pump, a friend is running it with success and definitely improved oil pressure at idle..

another question.. timing gear/chain.. go back with stock?

I dont have any experience with the Texas Speed unit. But do with both of the Mellings, my opinion is rock crawlers can all benefit from the increased pressure on the Melling 10295, but dont use the 10296.

Nothing new, but I wrote some stuff on PBB years ago on the Mellings from my experience.
This was all in relation to MattO on this board in what turned out to be swapped remote filter lines.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/931779-ls-oil-pump.html

High pressure performance upgrade for M295.
•Stock volume, 10% increase in pressure over M295 oil pump.
•The cast aluminum housing is CNC machined and hardcoat anodized.
•The cast iron cover is CNC machined and phosphate coated.
•The relief valve features a screw in valve plug with the optional lower stock pressure spring supplied.
•Uses stock 1-1/4" bolt on screen.

High volume performance upgrade for M295.
•18% increase in volume over M295 and 10295 oil pump.
•The cast aluminum housing is CNC machined and hardcoat anodized.
•The cast iron cover is CNC machined and phosphate coated.
•The relief valve features a screw in valve plug with the optional lower stock spring supplied.
•Uses stock 1-1/4" bolt on screen.

ok cool. I've seen that chain other places too. I guess I just need to get the front cover off and see if my timing gears are showing any age, probably good measure to go ahead and replace anyway.

Thanks for all the oil pump info.. :****:

when i was rebuilding mine, i was told that the stock gears are pretty solid and that for a basic rebuild not to mess with spending money on gears.