• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

White Smoke

Jaydog

So my 6.7 died today, it is down at the dealership right now so I don't know what is wrong with it, I was pulling my trailer and it started blowing white smoke, and I mean blowing, it covered 5 lanes with a dense smoke screen and sounded like a helicopter was under the hood, then it died and wouldn't start up. Needless to say I got to pay a tow bill for the truck and another one for the trailer. The exhaust was dripping raw diesel, so hopefully it is an injection problem and I can get back to work soon. :awesomework:

What would the filter be doing to cause excess fuel in the engine, or would it be injecting after the turbo for burn off?

Last edited:
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Traps all of the particulates and once it gets a certain amount in there, It injects fuel into the exhaust and burns it at a very high temp (900*C) in the DPF to clean out the particulates. On the large trucks. It uses 1-2 gallons every 500 miles to do a "regen".

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). Traps all of the particulates and once it gets a certain amount in there, It injects fuel into the exhaust and burns it at a very high temp (900*C) in the DPF to clean out the particulates. On the large trucks. It uses 1-2 gallons every 500 miles to do a "regen".

Thanks!
I learned something on NWW today! :awesomework:

Mine has never done a regen in 9300 miles, so that may be part of the problem, I had read somewhere that the exhaust would have some residue left over from the regen, but my exhaust pipe is as clean as the day I bought it, then again I use it for towing 14K everyday, so the exhaust temps should have been high enough to keep it clean, I still don't understand how the DPF would keep it from running, it wouldn't fire at all.

Hopefully, I will find something out tomorrow morning. :booo:

Mine has never done a regen in 9300 miles, so that may be part of the problem, I had read somewhere that the exhaust would have some residue left over from the regen, but my exhaust pipe is as clean as the day I bought it, then again I use it for towing 14K everyday, so the exhaust temps should have been high enough to keep it clean, I still don't understand how the DPF would keep it from running, it wouldn't fire at all.

Hopefully, I will find something out tomorrow morning. :booo:

doesn't matter how hot it runs on a regular basis. It will ALWAYS need to regen on a regular basis (Like I said, every 500 or so miles). And the tailpipe should always be clean even after a regen.

NO :mad: , I've been calling them every hour and a half, I think they are finally getting as ticked as I am, I found out today that the diesel tech wasn't even there yesterday, I don't know why they can't just come out and tell me when they will get to it so that I can schedule around it.

Ok, so as I was posting my last reply they called me, they said that it was a failed injector, and that they don't have the "special tool" to diagnose which one it is, and that the engine is so new that the factory hasn't sent them the "special tool" so they have to make one which will probably take a couple of days, sounds like typical dealership run around to me, but I am not a diesel tech, they also metioned that there wasn't any fuel pressure and don't know why. :eeek:

I'm amazed that they can't tell by the computer which injector is bad.. Haven't heard a thing on the no fuel pressure though.

Interesting.... failed injector = white smoke and then a no-start?

Definitely keep us up to date with what they find out.

Interesting.... failed injector = white smoke and then a no-start?

Definitely keep us up to date with what they find out.
That was kinda my reaction, but all of the diesel experience I have is with heavy equipment, and they don't have all of the computerized crap. I think with the new computer it shuts things down when there is a problem, and I think they are having a hard time figuring out where the source of the problem is, but that is just my guess.

Injector pouring fuel into the hole and eventually hydrolocking it? *shrug* I've seen an injector do that.

Update

So, it's been 5 days in the shop and they still haven't diagnosed it, I absolutely hate having to deal with stealership techs. I am going to try and contact Chrysler themselves.