• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who's got an ipod in there dodge?

Brad (trailtoy1993) had his Ram all torn up when I was over there last weekend, he was trying to install a hook up for his I-pod.

Brad (trailtoy1993) had his Ram all torn up when I was over there last weekend, he was trying to install a hook up for his I-pod.

hmmmm---oh bradly

Wait--- he was what--that fawker needs to get onto other stuff :fawkdancesmiley: he needs a beat down:haha:

I don't have an iPod, but I have this head unit: http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-mecHOwN...tab=morephotos&pi=1&i=158GT410U&display=L#Tab

It has a direct iPod dock connector, you plug the iPod in and control it with the controls on the cd player itself. It also charges the iPod while you're listening to music through the head unit. Direct/digital connection instead of analog too, so no fiddling with the volume controls on the iPod and such.

The other cool thing is that it has a regular AUX input on the front for other MP3 players, AND it has a USB input, so you can fill up a USB thumb drive with music and plug it in (I have a 4 gig thumb drive half full of music that I plug into mine). And, of course it plays CD-R's full of MP3's as well.

Well worth it, IMO, over the stock crappy head unit. It also SOUNDS much better than the stock head unit too. It cost me about 160 with tax and everything locally, and the mounting adapter and harness to install it were about 30 from the same place.

AFAIK, with the stock head unit you would need one of those FM antenna adapters where you plug it inline with the antenna and tune to a certain station for it to sound anywhere near decent. Either that or one of those crappy tape adapters or fm cheap fm trasmitter things that sound like garbage. And it's going to run the battery down in your iPod while you're playing it.

AFAIK, with the stock head unit you would need one of those FM antenna adapters where you plug it inline with the antenna and tune to a certain station for it to sound anywhere near decent. Either that or one of those crappy tape adapters or fm cheap fm trasmitter things that sound like garbage. And it's going to run the battery down in your iPod while you're playing it.
There are adapters for the newer trucks that go inline with the changer controls or satellite receiver depending on model. Charges the ipod and plays/control through the head unit. Might be something for Crashy's unit out there like this.

There are adapters for the newer trucks that go inline with the changer controls or satellite receiver depending on model. Charges the ipod and plays/control through the head unit. Might be something for Crashy's unit out there like this.

I would prefer a hardwire setup vs. a transmitter...

Might be worth calling up Crutchfield and seeing if they have anything like that (if they don't have it I don't know who would).

Or just wait and see what Brad's solution is... :D

(Does Crista know you're going to rip apart the dash of her truck to jerry-rig your iPod into it? :D)

I just plugged a headphone to RCA cord into the back of my deck.....Although i have an aftermarket sony XPLOD deck so its a lot easier lol:fawkdancesmiley:

From what I can tell, upgrading the deck is cheaper than the fancy controllers. The easiest thing at this point is the broadcasting option you dont want.

And your point is?

that crash is asking for how-to hardwire an i pod into a factory specific dodge make, and a user posts up about how he put a different deck into his ranger to accomodate his i pod.
crash, you might talk to gavin, he had a set up in his gti where it hardwired it into his factory deck and he had a control on his center console that scrolled through all your songs through a screen mounted on the a pillar. i believe it was around $150 for that set up but dont quote me... if that was the case, it would be cheaper and nice to keep the factory head unit in there. hopefully they make that set up for a dodge, because that would be the way to go. and also, his i pod was just chillin in the glovebox out of mind and out of site. hope this helps :;

hey crash, does your head unit have a cd changer controller????????
I still have access to the ipod add ons but like it has been said you may be better off getting a new head unit....
I put on of the Sony units with the front aux input in my wifes car and she loves it..............depending on the year of the truck we could get that done for 100 to 150 installed

post up the year and maybe a picture of the head unit and I will get you some prices!

wELL if we are talking 100-150 bones to make it hard wired to the deck--that isn't worth it--rather throw a lil more and just get a new deck....

wELL if we are talking 100-150 bones to make it hard wired to the deck--that isn't worth it--rather throw a lil more and just get a new deck....

no I could probably do a new deck with the aux input for 100 to 150, what year is the truck I will find out what the controller for your OEM head unit would cost.

keep in mind it needs to have a CD changer input or sat radio input that is not being used......

Latest posts