• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why do people **** up rockwells???

blacksheep10 said:
14 bolt hubs on rock outers. regular 3/4t front rotors with wilwood calipers. Custom drive flange. 2 ways to do it, spin the rock spindle down to 14B dimensions and put a sleeve on for the seal, or cut a flange and weld the 14B tube/spindle into it to make a bolt on spindle. Put rock side gears in the 14b carrier, weld up. Some have said there are detroit parts that swap if you want a locker, or have some arb sides broached if you can get blanks.
thanks for clearing that up for me. Sounds aggravating and expensive at the same time. Me and a buddy was talking about it once but I'll just stick with my full wiidth with hubs turned out 102" wide stance :dblthumb:

fordcontraption01 said:
thanks for clearing that up for me. Sounds aggravating and expensive at the same time. Me and a buddy was talking about it once but I'll just stick with my full wiidth with hubs turned out 102" wide stance :dblthumb:
Reason I came up with it and Ben did it was low cost. If you have a lathe its not too bad, and the brakes are what cost money as long as you have a pile of rock shafts and side gears. Or a spare set of side gears, a rock and a 14. Make the drive flange out of a side gear. Make the spool out of a side gear pair. make the 14 hub fit on the rock spindle. Brakes are what cost you unless you home brew something, which I never got to and Ben went wilwood. He had 16.5 H1's

blacksheep10 said:
Reason I came up with it and Ben did it was low cost. If you have a lathe its not too bad, and the brakes are what cost money as long as you have a pile of rock shafts and side gears. Or a spare set of side gears, a rock and a 14. Make the drive flange out of a side gear. Make the spool out of a side gear pair. make the 14 hub fit on the rock spindle. Brakes are what cost you unless you home brew something, which I never got to and Ben went wilwood. He had 16.5 H1's
thats a good cheap way but what if you ran the big 2" shafts?

fordcontraption01 said:
thats a good cheap way but what if you ran the big 2" shafts?

16 spline stuff won't fit in a 14 bolt carrier shaft hole.... Not without milling it out. Or atleast the few carriers I been fooling with. Been doin some checking trying to build a 14 bolt front outta junk I got laying around. Ouverson makes a 14 bolt carrier that will take the 2" shafts....$$$$

AdamF said:
Narrowing let's you run all short inners so you only have to carry one spare, but I tthink most people do it because "its what you do" . Mine are full width,hubs out and awesome! With the rear steer it gets around as good as anything else and is stable as ****.

What is your WMS on them full width Rocks? Just for comparing to my 14 bolts/ :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
What is your WMS on them full width Rocks? Just for comparing to my 14 bolts/ :dunno:

Full width rocks hubs in are about 70". Hubs out are about 80". The only decent wheel brake options that I've seen are for hubs out. (Hubs in puts pretty much any caliper too close to the knuckle to fit.) That might be why some people narrow the axles. Those brakes a huge and even a 17"+ wheel can be difficult to fit over wheel brakes if you need to deal with 80" of axle.

patooyee said:
Full width rocks hubs in are about 70". Hubs out are about 80". The only decent wheel brake options that I've seen are for hubs out. (Hubs in puts pretty much any caliper too close to the knuckle to fit.) That might be why some people narrow the axles. Those brakes a huge and even a 17"+ wheel can be difficult to fit over wheel brakes if you need to deal with 80" of axle.

Thanks JJ, I guess I have always wondered if that was one of the reasons to run Rocks for the extra width and the useage of a single pinion brake in place of 2 hub brakes. I understand that they are pretty indestructible and fairly reasonable to purchase a set. I think the first set I remember being run was by Sonny Honneger on one of his buggies out west and always questioned it. Thanks for the info.

He beat me to the answer, but outside of tire to outside of tire mine is 97" wide. And the reason Igot them was the price. Found two ssteering and a spare rear for $800. Put pinion brakes in and welded the spider gears. Running 44" boggers with 350-400hp and have only broken 1 stock shaft

lowbudgetjunk said:
Where is it legal to hunt deer right now?

And, no idea on the question.
Missouri. Bow season.
Also simple brakes would be to run them on drive flange if you got room I've been kicking the idea of cutting mine up for Dana 80 so I can still run my 2" shafts.

NTIDWELL said:
Missouri. Bow season.
Also simple brakes would be to run them on drive flange if you got room I've been kicking the idea of cutting mine up for Dana 80 so I can still run my 2" shafts.

I kinda think the Dana 80 deal is somewhat overrated

You lose ground clearance going with the 80 chunk and it isn't that much smaller on the 'top' side as far as building around. The cool kids may be doing em but I think the Rock is a better route. IMHO

TURNEROFFROAD said:
I kinda think the Dana 80 deal is somewhat overrated

You lose ground clearance going with the 80 chunk and it isn't that much smaller on the 'top' side as far as building around. The cool kids may be doing em but I think the Rock is a better route. IMHO
Haha the cool kids are doing 14 bolt with 2" shafts I ain't got that kinda money. I do like the gear options that come with the 80 tho. And I've ran into serval tight spots with rocks where I could see benifets of shortening / running two short sides It's not so much of making tight turns rear steer will make up for that it more of the hauling ass in between two trees that have been an issue for me or I guess I could just drive like Gregg and not worry bout trees :flipoff1: :flipoff1: :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

NTIDWELL said:
Haha the cool kids are doing 14 bolt with 2" shafts I ain't got that kinda money. I do like the gear options that come with the 80 tho. And I've ran into serval tight spots with rocks where I could see benifets of shortening / running two short sides It's not so much of making tight turns rear steer will make up for that it more of the hauling ass in between two trees that have been an issue for me or I guess I could just drive like Gregg and not worry bout trees :flipoff1: :flipoff1: :dblthumb: :dblthumb:

Nathan, just curious if you know how anyone is doing 2 inch INNER shafts on 14? I talked to ryan at he man machine and unless i am remembering our conversation incorrectly he said no go with 14 bolt. 1 3\4 inner was as big of an inner shaft that cold be done. Also, according to ryan, the ring pinion is the weak point even with his bushing on the nose of the pinion at 1 3\4 inner shaft .Thus, negating the benefit to 2 inch inner shafts even if it could be done on a 14 bolt.
As for the 80, he gave it the thumbs up over the 14 bolt front. The man knows his stuff and was incredibly informative and kind with his time when I talked to him. thumb.gif

You not happy with gearing in your hero case?
On side note, my aluminum hubs have the flange offset more inward than a rockwell bearing hub or even ouverson's alumium hub. If I remember correctly, it made me 2.5 inches narrower.

Gregg has the title of tree killer on lock . :stir:

b.boyd said:
Nathan, just curious if you know how anyone is doing 2 inch INNER shafts on 14? I talked to ryan at he man machine and unless i am remembering our conversation incorrectly he said no go with 14 bolt. 1 3\4 inner was as big of an inner shaft that cold be done. Also, according to ryan, the ring pinion is the weak point even with his bushing on the nose of the pinion at 1 3\4 inner shaft .Thus, negating the benefit to 2 inch inner shafts even if it could be done on a 14 bolt.
As for the 80, he gave it the thumbs up over the 14 bolt front. The man knows his stuff and was incredibly informative and kind with his time when I talked to him. thumb.gif

Ouverson makes a 14bolt that expect a 2" shaft. Pretty sure plowboy 2 is running them Idk what he has done to ring and pinion but I'm sure randy had some kinda trick up his sleeve to solve that issue

You not happy with gearing in your hero case?
On side note, my aluminum hubs have the flange offset more inward than a rockwell bearing hub or even ouverson's alumium hub. If I remember correctly, it made me 2.5 inches narrower.

Motor ended up turning on more since the break in period and now I run outta gear in low side not really wanting to do 490 and trying to get more useful shock travel yes I might not lose height swapping to an 80 but my drive shaft being lower would give me a good 4-5 " more of shock travel.

NTIDWELL said:
It's not so much of making tight turns rear steer will make up for that it more of the hauling ass in between two trees that have been an issue for me

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I moved my rear control to my left foot instead of my hand on my last buggy. (And will have it there on my next one as well.) Once you do that you can control it naturally like another front steering axle. You can zip around forests using both at the same time time like it's second nature. You brain doesn't even think about it.

I guess I could just drive like Gregg and not worry bout trees Flip Off Flip Off Double Thumbs Double Thumbs

Gregg has the title of tree killer on lock . Stir pot

HAH, coffee all over the monitor on these and through the nose. :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: Although, "Bark is Traction" (trademark applied for) in my books and I can't help it that Stevie Wonder was my driving instructor. 8) 8)

The real funny thing is that I studied Forestry Conservation in college and now I'm knocking the crap out of them. molaugh

The real funny thing is that I studied Forestry Conservation in college and now I'm knocking the crap out of them. molaugh
[/quote]

That is an instant classic :drinkers:

Minor derail but curious about your degree. Reason I ask is my major is Forest Resources and Conservation from UF.