• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why me??? 5.29 gears broken

graysquirrel

Ok im getting sick of doing me gears every year or so, what am i doing wrong???? I hear/know many ppl that run 5.29 gears with 38s or bigger for many many years with no problems. Yet i blow them up (front AND rear) at least once a year or more. Ive gone thru prolly 5or6 sets. It sucks and is expensive. I dont feel comfortable setting them up my self and the guys i have doing (ive tried a couple) are very good at it and one of them works at a dealer and thats his only job! I even had Bobby heat treat my last set. So i just had my rear axles out putting new berrings in and thought id drop the 3rd just to check it and sure enough alot of the ring teeth are chipped and pinion chipped really bad. Oh i have dual cases (stock gears in both), 38.5 boggers spool in rear and ARB in front. Any thoughts or ideas?????

Either A) you are setting them up wrong B) you are buying cheap gears or C) Its only an 8" ring gear..

So its one of those 3. I know after I broke something a couple times--it was "upgrade" time and not replacing junk time...

in my experience with setting up gears you have to set them just a little tighter and defenately use a solid pinion spacer and do your own.

question , are you using a crush sleeve to set your pinon preload?

IMHO with larger tires the forces being applied are enough to crush the crush sleeve causing a loose pinon which then starts destroying teeth.

i stopped using crush sleeves and have had no issues ever since.

but as mikey said you need at least a 9" or larger ring gear so you have two teeth in contact at all times vice one tooth in contact.

as far as i know the 9" is the smallest ring gear that has the two tooth scenario mentioned above.

or run some smaller tires....:redneck:

question , are you using a crush sleeve to set your pinon preload?

IMHO with larger tires the forces being applied are enough to crush the crush sleeve causing a loose pinon which then starts destroying teeth.

:

Please explain this, it makes no sense. Im tired of folks blaming pinion failures on crush sleeves.

The only time a crush sleeve can **** you is if the pinion nut backs off.

The pinion bearings cannot move by themselvs. The races or shims behind the pinion bearing have to be changed to affect pinion depth unless the nut backs off letting the pinion move inward. Thats no fault of the crush sleeve.
If the nut backs off you lose your preload aswell. Preload can be maintained with no sleeve or spacer between the bearings at all. Just harder to lock it with one nut is all.

In thereoy you dont need a crush sleeve or a solid spacer if the pinion nuts were lock nuts like a wheel bearing.

Do you have solid spacers on your wheel bearings?:corn:

Lets hear why Im wrong?:D

I have done dozens and dozens of toy diffs. Not once can I blame a failure on a crush sleeve. I think that reason is bogus and used too often....

Please explain this, it makes no sense. Im tired of folks blaming pinion failures on crush sleeves.

The only time a crush sleeve can **** you is if the pinion nut backs off.

The pinion bearings cannot move by themselvs. The races or shims behind the pinion bearing have to be changed to affect pinion depth unless the nut backs off letting the pinion move inward. Thats no fault of the crush sleeve.
If the nut backs off you lose your preload aswell. Preload can be maintained with no sleeve or spacer between the bearings at all. Just harder to lock it with one nut is all.

In thereoy you dont need a crush sleeve or a solid spacer if the pinion nuts were lock nuts like a wheel bearing.

Do you have solid spacers on your wheel bearings?:corn:

Lets hear why Im wrong?:D

because we said so..:fawkdancesmiley:

In the industry I work in, we deal with high dollar, masively huge parts.
The argument for a good solid steel spacer in bearings is to keep the cone from spinning on the shaft. In theory this shouldn't happen, but it does and i've seen it. Better to screw up a bearing than a shaft and bearing.
With a good solid spacer, you have much more clamp load on the bearing to keep it in place, preventing it from spinning.

On items that are commonly or frequently inspected or maintained, a spacer isn't AS necessary. But personnally, I feel better with a spacer in it. (yes i know there is no spacer in your wheel bearings)

Now, i know that there are many people here that have had a spindle screwed up due to the bearing spinning on the shaft. :stirpot::beer:

because we said so..:fawkdancesmiley:

In the industry I work in, we deal with high dollar, masively huge parts.
The argument for a good solid steel spacer in bearings is to keep the cone from spinning on the shaft. In theory this shouldn't happen, but it does and i've seen it. Better to screw up a bearing than a shaft and bearing.
With a good solid spacer, you have much more clamp load on the bearing to keep it in place, preventing it from spinning.

On items that are commonly or frequently inspected or maintained, a spacer isn't AS necessary. But personnally, I feel better with a spacer in it. (yes i know there is no spacer in your wheel bearings)

Now, i know that there are many people here that have had a spindle screwed up due to the bearing spinning on the shaft. :stirpot::beer:

Understandable, but hes not complaining of twisting off pinions due to heat damage from a cone spinning.

Pinion bearing fit pretty tight and dont usually spin, but could I guess.:cool:

I have done dozens and dozens of toy diffs. Not once can I blame a failure on a crush sleeve. I think that reason is bogus and used too often....

So why is it that a lot of times when your gearset is garbage the pinion moves in/out and side/side? Do you blame it on improper pinion preload on setup, or is the pinion gear stretching:fawkdancesmiley: I will say that I also believe that term to be used loosely in the toyota world, I have a real expensive impact gun and it'll crush every crush sleeve I have ever put it on, except a few toyota ones, and all the rest sure put up a fight.

I gave up on the 8" ring gears once I started breaking them all the time. It was in a Light weight Ftoy but I was running water in the front tires.

I'd start looking at bigger parts.

If you install pinion bearings that are loose enough to spin on the shaft and dont catch it, you have no biz setting it up in the first place.:beer:

So why is it that a lot of times when your gearset is garbage the pinion moves in/out and side/side? Do you blame it on improper pinion preload on setup, or is the pinion gear stretching:fawkdancesmiley: I will say that I also believe that term to be used loosely in the toyota world, I have a real expensive impact gun and it'll crush every crush sleeve I have ever put it on, except a few toyota ones, and all the rest sure put up a fight.

Every gear set I have seen go boom--the pinion was still tight. But yes its possable and you have to remember there are different scenarios to each failure.

I've had a few where the pinion has hit the locker...pulled the diff apart and the pinion is still tight... something flex's in there I'm guessing the whole third member is flexing pretty good.

it became less of an issue once I switched to the Diamond axles with the 1/2" thick mounting flange.

So why is it that a lot of times when your gearset is garbage the pinion moves in/out and side/side? Do you blame it on improper pinion preload on setup, or is the pinion gear stretching:fawkdancesmiley: .

How can a crush sleeve grow pushing the bearings apart making it sloppy?:corn:

If its crushed to far it was done by the installer resulting in excess pinion preload.

I've had a few where the pinion has hit the locker...pulled the diff apart and the pinion is still tight... something flex's in there I'm guessing the whole third member is flexing pretty good.

it became less of an issue once I switched to the Diamond axles with the 1/2" thick mounting flange.

I think its actually the area of the carrier that flex's. Look at what, the taco diffs with the cross supporting on the carrier bearing assy--those seem to hold up alot better than the mini truck stuff. The whole works really is a tuna can.

Bottom line--if your exploding parts on a regular basis--any setup in the world isn't going to make up for small parts...

If you install pinion bearings that are loose enough to spin on the shaft and dont catch it, you have no biz setting it up in the first place.:beer:

Like i said, it SHOULD not ever spin, but it could.

I have seen bearings that are 12 feet in diameter spin on the shaft.
and they had to be boiled in a bath of Hydraulic oil in order to get them on the shaft.

How can a crush sleeve grow pushing the bearings apart making it sloppy?:corn:

If its crushed to far it was done by the installer resulting in excess pinion preload.

You have a very 1 dimensional mind. crush sleeve crushes more during use, allowing pinion to move side to side, more so than in and out.