• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why Propane?

dirkes33

Hey guys, please excuse my lack of knowledge on fuels and motors, but why are some rigs running propane over gasoline? Is it a better burning fuel? Better on the motor? More power? Cheaper than gasoline? Or is it a regional thing? I know most of the hardline people are from the south or east coast. I'm from CO and haven't seen a propane vehicle on a trail out here. Just curious :dunno:

Propane is a poor mans fuel injection.

If you start off with a carbed motor propane works a 100000000 times better offroad than a carb being it's converted from a liquid to a gas before it goes into the mixer. I've run propane on my last two rigs and have had zero complaints other than having to deal with filling the tanks.

Had fuel injection and propane on different rigs. Don't care for the propane and will have fuel injection on my next rig. Filling tanks sucks, running out in the woods really sucks. Dumping gas into a tank or cell is just easier and works for me.

Motor oil does stay super clean on propane.

Re:

I ran it for safety reasons (no leaky fuel to worry about) and carb'd 22r. Filling tanks is a pain I da ass, I'm looking forward to just stop by the local lot lizards to fill up

kushKrawlin said:
Put a carb on a steeeep hill... It dies. You crank and crank and crank ... Propane. Pretty much run upside down. Pretty much the jist of it.

this is it for me....it only makes sense for us guys that love our older carb'd toyotas

Buddy will comment on here, but if you want all the info on propane, call him.

Precision sales and service
Birmingham Alabama.

I work for him, and run propane on my buggy.

111 octane, no need for fuel pump. No worry about ethanol. Doesn't break-down into gunk.

Only downside is some parks don't have propane stations.

Some of us also run propane because of high compression.that way you stay away from buying 7$ a gallon race fuel

I like it because when you're upside down it doesn't pour out of the tank and on to everything else. F getting soaked in gasoline and burning to death!

For long distance trips, I have seven tanks I take so I don't have to worry about finding a fill station. I carry two tanks on the buggy and can get 6-8 hours out of one tank. That's with a high compression stroked BBC. As long as you keep oil pressure, it'll keep running.

Re:

6-8 hours on a tank? Please sell two of these tanks to Kush. There is no way he is getting near that time on a tank :p

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

If we hit a bunch of high rpm balls to the walls climbs, it'll drop to 4-5 hours, but on average I easily get six per tank. Almost everyone in our group runs propane on mild SBC's and they get similar results. :****:

Bunker Buster said:
If we hit a bunch of high rpm balls to the walls climbs, it'll drop to 4-5 hours, but on average I easily get six per tank. Almost everyone in our group runs propane on mild SBC's and they get similar results. :****:

Same here on a BBF.

I never got that like of time out of a tank. May, 4,5 hrs tops running a 400 sbc, propane is great for the money and it's very simple to run and if you do have problems it's easy to fix. I switched to fuel injection and couldn't be happier. Just my 0.2c

Re:

Anybody need a propane regulator and mixer by chance? I got one I don't need. Been meaning to post it in sales. Just been lazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk