• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wide Open Design build of an Evolution chassis ( WFO )

Re: Wide Open Design build of an Evolution chassis ( WFO )

I really don't know what to expect. I have a guess but I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth. In all fairness its on small tires because the dyno isn't wide enough for my buggy to fit with the 43s on it. The tuning is being done with drivability as the primary result over squeezing out every ounce of power. I will say it ran better, sounded better and the throttle was more crisp with the baseline tune Mast put in it just to get it running and loaded. I'm really hoping this is the end if this little fiasco and I can let er eat.

She's at Dr. Woodlee's place with an awesome running motor and getting a few things tuned up for this weekends SRRS event.

Hey BJ.The Crawl write up had the torque stall listed at 2200 . That seems low with that much power. If that is correct, how do you like it. I dont know anything about stall speed, but all the race car guys have an opinion and i like so info from some who uses there offroad.

Coppermines Offroad Park
crawlin85cj said:
Got her broke in now!
3ubeqate.jpg

Got a little seat time this past weekend before the race.
uzysynaj.jpg

A buddy hooked me up on wrapping the beater skins. It turned out great and it cleaned up easy
8e2yge2y.jpg

eru4esup.jpg

esy8abad.jpg

extremetownie said:
Hey BJ.The Crawl write up had the torque stall listed at 2200 . That seems low with that much power. If that is correct, how do you like it. I dont know anything about stall speed, but all the race car guys have an opinion and i like so info from some who uses there offroad.

Stall speed is 2400. I have been running that same converter in every off-road rig I've had for the past 4-5 years. I think it's a great stall for full throttle assaults and crawling. It's just enough to not pull through the brakes in low range, not stall out sitting still in gear and not create a ton of heat typical of a small diameter converter. I didn't feel like I needed a higher stall speed with this motor and its ability to make gobs of power at low rpm. If I built this buggy with a naturally aspirated motor I would have gone to a 3000 stall for hard launches on hills with a short run at the bottom.

mchampion said:
What did it put down on the dyno?

435hp @ 5200
505ft lbs @ 2900

That's the only numbers I saw. Redline is at 6800 and I'm pretty sure it made more peak power. It wasn't tuned for max power, I already knew it had plenty of that. It was tuned for clean crisp throttle response and drivability. It only has 23 degrees of total timing in it on the conservative tune with pump gas.

with that blower you don't need a huge converter at all.. Look at that torque that thing comes on quick... dyno is just a tuning tool the thing runs awesome for the one time I got to see it run. Theres still more left on the table with it but theres no need to push it when you already have enough power to destroy the running gear and the engine is still reliable.

Its by far one of my favorite buggys :dblthumb:

ridered3 said:
Good write up in Crawl. Kinda confused by the competing picture of the buggy with black skins on it though?

They aren't black, they are raw aluminum. There are 3 sets of skins for the buggy, the race set didn't get wrapped in time for that race and I ran them raw rather than scratch the $2k paint job on the others.

I was reading through this thread and I am curious what the issues were that you were having with motor. Y the change to the MAST set up?
Also a break down of the axles, an insight to the building them and the fabrication?

themutant126 said:
I was reading through this thread and I am curious what the issues were that you were having with motor. Y the change to the MAST set up?
Also a break down of the axles, an insight to the building them and the fabrication?

It had an MEFI controller that just wasn't right. With no support for tuning I decided it was time to put a more advanced system on a $20k motor than some archaic technology. I went all in and bought what I thought was the best available control system. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Axles are Torq housings, Torq aluminum centers, WOD knuckles, 4.56 gears, 40 spline spools and 40 spline RCV shafts. Insight on building them is simple...call WOD and never worry about a thing with your new axle!

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Latest posts