• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Will the dana 300 hold up?

wcompton

Ok guys need some advice and guidance, I'm swapping my 203 for a dana 300. I never really liked the 203 there big, heavy and a pain in my ass. My chassis is a s10 on a 1/2 ton frame, four linked front and rear with locked tons and 38 inch tsl's. the motor is a sbc 350 with flat tops and vortec heads and small cam, with a stock th350 that has a small stall. I'm using a np208 adapter off a 700r4 to adapt it. Will a stock dana 300 hold up to this setup or will I need to completely the shafts or anything else some help would be appreciated thanks.

I agree with him. I'm running a 300 with a 406, the case does have the big output shafts and yokes. If I keep all four tires on the ground it does fine but does not like being airborn.

If I had to pick a strong case for the money I would run a 205. I haven't broken a 205 yet but the last run out in the Yellow single seat I killed the 300 low side gears and split the case as well. If you do run a 300 keep parts for sure. Just my opinion. :dunno:

al1tonyota said:
300's are for 4cyl and V6's anything else they are junk!
x2. Upgrade the gears and then you will blow cases. 205 would be my choice.

What are you guys all breaking on the dana 300's? Sounds like a lot have split the case once the outputs are upgraded. Anyone split a Stak case?

My last one I split the case, stripped the low side gears and split the adapter shaft between the t-case and trans. I am running the big output shafts.

you name it, it broke!!

split the case, my own fault. limit strap broke busted the entire back half of.
new case , rear output(stock)

big out puts, stripped low side gear and busted teeth on highside.
new gears, busted another case, and spun the the homemade doubler shaft until it galded it self solid. ( but it didnt break!!!)

With your motor and tire size I'd run a 300 you may get the rear output if u bounce it hard. My last buggy was a fresh 360 auto with 300 1 tons and 42 tsl had big shafts and 4 to 1 I beat one that buggy like it owed me money never had a problem. Built my new buggy thinking it lasted in the last buggy. Put the big shafts in it and could look at the gas pedal wrong and split the case. Broke 3 sets of gears and one case! It now has a atlas.

surely you've gotta be getting close to the price of a used atlas by the time you upgrade the outputs and put a gear set in these.....much less go to a aftermarket case

Sure no doubt a built 300 is close to the cost of an Atlas depending on what you do to it. But it's smaller and lighter as well and most people ease into them as they break parts v/s spending $$$ all in one shot.

Anyone know if the 4 to 1 gear or stronger or weaker than stock gears?

Another thing to note will be the clearance between the pan of the 700r4 and front shaft :dunno: ,,,,300,s aren,t that wide :dunno:

just another reason NOT to use a 300 ;D

zukiscott said:
Another thing to note will be the clearance between the pan of the 700r4 and front shaft :dunno: ,,,,300,s aren,t that wide :dunno:

just another reason NOT to use a 300 ;D

True....but at the same time with more and more people switching to two pc front drive shafts that becomes less of an issue IMO. But "stock"....300 to 700 clearance is HORRIBLE!!

So what's stronger....stock gears or 4:1 gears.