• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

will these work under my Jeep?

wrecker1

hey everybgody, I am cleaning up around my shop and I thought somebody might want this pair of wonderful, excellant axeles.
They were removed from a 1988 Jeep Cherokee just this last month. The jeep only had 91,000 miles on it.
THEY ARE FROM A 4 X 4 !
The set comes complete with calipers, rotors and brakes.

To go under my '74 CJ-5
I want to upgrade my axles eventually, But would like to upgrade to disc brakes right away. Can I get either of these accomplished with these axles?
Or are these a waste of time and $$?

Odds are, they are Dana 30 and Dana 35 combo from a small bodied Cherokee - not the fullsize Cherokee of old (which had D44s)

Will they fit. Yeah, they're about the right width.
Will you want them. Nope. Way too light duty.

They are about 8" wider than your existing axles.

The front diff is on the wrong side.

The rear could be a Dana 44, but as mentioned is a probably a Dana 35 and best avoided.

Seems like people almost give away CJ narrow track Dana 30s. Shouldn't be too hard to find one with disc brakes.

Cool, Thanks! I just got the Jeep so I'm still learning what will work and what won't.
I was told that I can replace everything from the knuckles out to install disc brakes, is that correct? assuming I find a disc brake Dana 30. Then I will probably pick up a narrowed Dana 44 front and rear at the Puyallup swap next year. I saw a bunch of them this year, But I wasn't in the market for one at the time.

If you keep the 5 on 5.5" look into a Ford 9" from say a Ford van (probably would need narrowing) and get 1/2 ton discs for the front (find a 44 for the front of the CJ and solid axle Ford knuckles, etc will bolt on with some swapping. I used a Ford D44 with Jeep J20 brakes)

Be naughty and swap in toyota axles:awesomework:

As for the axles you asked about...don't bother with those. You can probably find a complete disc 30 front for less than a couple hundred bucks as they are not used for wheeling much anymore. They tend to snap crackle pop when they seen an offroad obstacle...the rear axles with their single spline outers do the same thing.