• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WInch line

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
What ya running, What length are you running? Where'd ya get and how much can I expect to pay.:awesomework:

3/8" X 90' synthetic. $140 shipped. www.northridge4x4.com

I will never go back to steel cable

Looks like they're price went up. The least expensive I found so far is on ebay and its just a few bucks less than winchline.com.

5/16 x125' cable, you can usually find it new with a hook for about $50 from someone going to synthetic :;

I will sell you some brand new for $75:fawkdancesmiley:

What ya running, What length are you running? Where'd ya get and how much can I expect to pay.:awesomework:

Call these guys, or any boat supply shop in Ballard. It is overpriced in the 4x4 market and way more reasonable in the fisheries market. *edit* what you want is the 12 strand plasma *edit*

I bought 300 feet from Psrope and think is was 80cents a foot for 3/8.......it was a while back, so dont quote me on that

http://www.psrope.com/

Last edited:
Call these guys, or any boat supply shop in Ballard. It is overpriced in the 4x4 market and way more reasonable in the fisheries market. *edit* what you want is the 12 strand plasma *edit*

I bought 300 feet from Psrope and think is was 80cents a foot for 3/8.......it was a while back, so dont quote me on that

along these lines.. oberts marine supply in sodo has 3/4 shackles for like 5 bucks, and lots of lift straps that make good tree savers etc. dont know if they have the line but i would be surpirzed.

I just ordered 5/16x150' for 235.00 from rockstomper, it was a little cheaper than winchline.com and got here in 3 days.

Good info, I see that their business is up in Anacortes also, on 2nd st, I'll have to stop in next time up. I'll post back up later if there's a deal t be had?

I used an ebay store, 5/16" x 100 for around 6 bucks less than winchline...hope it ships fast!:awesomework:

Good info, I see that their business is up in Anacortes also, on 2nd st, I'll have to stop in next time up. I'll post back up later if there's a deal t be had?

PSrope in Anacortes quoted me the following;

1 CTN 5/16" dia. (15/16" circ) x 150 Feet
Plasma 12 Strand - (3.85 LBS)
HD Galv Thimble W/2t Hook W/Latch One End
Minimum Tensile Strength 11,700 Pounds
Total Price $272.54
Estimated shipping date 10-15 Days ARO

synthetic is good as long as your not winching over rocks .....you only lose about 1.5lbs in weight for the synthetic if its the same size .....

They have rub guard sleeves, and it's alot more than 1.5 pounds.

5/16th 150ft masterpull and I'll plead the 5th on how much I paid for it..:haha: :haha:

I went to masterpull on a sunday and the guy was way cool set me up with 5/16 x 100' with the big hook and rock sleeve for $120! Masterpull is located in bellingham right off the freeway easy to get to!

edit: I forgot I got the orange rope for this price which is rated a couple thousand #'s stronger than what most people use!

Last edited:
Not to mention the safety factor. Synthetic doesn't recoil like steel.

Rigged PROPERLY steel won't recoil. Most people don't and that's the problem.

Steel is also a LOT more durable than synthetic. In my personal experience even new synthetic is also prone to breaking LONG before the winch is near stalling. The quickest way to break it is just pull at a sharp angle against your fairlead.

I plan to stick to my 5/16" 120-125' steel line, can usually find it for $40-60. The only way I'de try synthetic is if someone gave it to me new and I knew I was going to be using it soon in an environment were safety and protection of property isn't an issue. (such as a Jeep falling off a cliff or something like that)

Steel is also a LOT more durable than synthetic. In my personal experience even new synthetic is also prone to breaking LONG before the winch is near stalling. The quickest way to break it is just pull at a sharp angle against your fairlead.
uh, that's how you can break either steel or syn ... and also not like it's uncommon todo ...

IMO, syn might break that way and drop safely, but cable would whip around causing bodily harm ... (and sure the rig being winched that way may also fall ...)

As far as "durable" ... obviously the steel will take abrasion better than syn, but I contend that "rope" won't "kink" and can be more "durable" over a 3-4 year timeframe of a normal wheelers winch usage.