• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winch problem

crapyota

last weekend i was winching a :rb: cj,and the winch started acting up.
i was using it quit a bit since the guys t-case crapped out,and he was'nt liking the spot it left him in.
it started to slow way down,and acted like it didnt have any juice. checked all conections let sit for few minutes. try again.it worked good for a few then got slack in the cable wich managed to ground out on 1 of the winch selonoids(poor setup for controls now being changed).
got winch going again,and was able to free cj,and manage to recover my brother inlaws fj40(long story). dang heavy rigs compared to my tin can.
next morning before heading out. i go to respool the cable. spooled it out, but when i went to spool it back in. all i got was a loud click,and the engine almost stalled. checked all conections. everything tight,and good. try again. same thing loud click engine almost stalls. unhooked cable,and winch went wheelin.
charging systems seems to be working just fine. winch is a old warn 8274 has always been good to me.and is necessity like we all know
any thoughts?
do i just need a new selonoid maybe?
how do i determine wich1?
thanks for any help :beer: !

Last edited:
If you have one of the solenoids shorting to ground instead of making the right contact, I would think it would be obvious upon visual inspection which one it is?

yes the motor spooled out(free spool dont realy work), and sounded fine. didnt sound like it was lagging. none of this has been messed with since winch was mounted over a year ago,and has never had a problem.

so back to my ? how do i determine if a solenoid is bad? educate me please since i will obviosly need to know this for the future.

BILL WHEN YOU READTHRU THAT SEE IF IT CAN FIND A STICKY SOLENOID. Sorry for yelling. i have a sticky one and have not been able to figure out which one.

i have some extra solenoids if you need one.

Sounds like pull-in solenoids.

Replace the two solenoids that the green wire goes to. They will be in-stock at olympic 4X4. About 20 bucks each. With a couple of exceptions, Warn uses the same solenoid in all their winches.

(Side note: believe it or not WARN did not design the 8274. They bought the design from another company: I believe it was called the American Winch co).